Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can anyone suggest a specific holster for a Ruger SR1911 Commander?

I just bought a Ruger sr 1911 commander 4.25, and cant seem to find any holsters other than for 5 inch Ruger 1911 models.

Anyone have this specific gun or commander type and a holster that fit it properly?

I am a fan of the Bianchi Model 75 Venom thumb break for my glock, they do make a version for a Colt 1911, not sure if it will fit this 4.25 inch gun.

I think I would prefer to have a strap between the hammer for EDC.

Any suggestions?

Maybe I just need to search for 1911 "Commander size" holsters and not gun specific on this one.
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; October 8th, 2014 at 11:50 AM.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Can anyone suggest a specific holster for a Ruger SR1911 Commander?

Quote Originally Posted by Nucking Futs View Post
    I just bought a Ruger sr 1911 commander 4.25, and cant seem to find any holsters other than for 5 inch Ruger 1911 models.

Anyone have this specific gun or commander type and a holster that fit it properly?

I am a fan of the Bianchi Model 75 Venom thumb break for my glock, they do make a version for a Colt 1911, not sure if it will fit this 4.25 inch gun.

Any suggestions?

Maybe I just need to search for 1911 "Commander size" holsters and not gun specific on this one.
    ^^^This^^^

Any holster for a commander sized 1911 should fit the Ruger just fine. I use a Blackhawk leather pancake holster with thumb brake personally.

Here's the version of you're holster for the 1911 commander.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-75-V...item48706cb04f

Here's the one I am currently using. The thumb break does go in front of the hammer when carrying condition 1. I like it now that I have broken it in a little bit. Initially the thumb break was kind of stiff, but it has gotten better over time and use at the range.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACKHAWK-3-...item20d66681fa

Here's a Bianchi model that is very similar to my Blackhawk.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-1866...item487067a68a

(Delaware County)

So you don't trust condition 1...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    So you don't trust condition 1...

This is my first 1911. I was curious as to what Ruger has to say about different long term carry conditions, etc.

I took to the user manual, only thing I saw regaurding carry condtition is:

"For maximum safety when carrying the pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, the slide should be closed, and the pistol hammer should be decocked"

I guess its something I will have to get used to. I carry my glock with a round chambered 24 hrs a day.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    ^^^This^^^

Any holster for a commander sized 1911 should fit the Ruger just fine. I use a Blackhawk leather pancake holster with thumb brake personally.

Here's the version of you're holster for the 1911 commander.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-75-V...item48706cb04f

Here's the one I am currently using. The thumb break does go in front of the hammer when carrying condition 1. I like it now that I have broken it in a little bit. Initially the thumb break was kind of stiff, but it has gotten better over time and use at the range.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACKHAWK-3-...item20d66681fa

Here's a Bianchi model that is very similar to my Blackhawk.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-1866...item487067a68a
    I have bee reading that using a leather holster with a thumb break can cause the thumb saftey to disengage. Ever have any issues with your blackhawk?

We have a De Santis mdl. 106 79 It is a iwb and will take any of my 1911s from our Ultra Nitron 3.3" barrel to a 5"". There is no thumb break but they do not require a strap in front of the hammer. Until you draw it the grip safety will handle the safety if the thumb safety is off. In 55 yrs. with the 1911 I have never had the thumb safety dis-engage without my help.

Our other rig is a shoulder holster from Jackass leather which has the thumb strap. It is needed as it carries upside down or just below horizontal.
    Last edited by phill; October 8th, 2014 at 11:29 PM.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Susquehanna County)

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

This is my first 1911. I was curious as to what Ruger has to say about different long term carry conditions, etc.

I took to the user manual, only thing I saw regaurding carry condtition is:

"For maximum safety when carrying the pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, the slide should be closed, and the pistol hammer should be decocked"

I guess its something I will have to get used to. I carry my glock with a round chambered 24 hrs a day.
    The 1911 was intended to be carried Condition 1. (Round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on). Some thumb break holsters won't allow the hammer to be cocked. I use a Raven Concealment holster. It's molded so that the safety can't be moved off the safe position while it's holstered & the retention is very good.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lycoming County)

I have bee reading that using a leather holster with a thumb break can cause the thumb saftey to disengage. Ever have any issues with your blackhawk?
    I have only had it happen a couple of times when reholstering and resnapping the thumb brake at the range. I always check the safety after I reholster just to be sure. For just normal carry, where I'm not drawing and reholstering, I have never had the safety come off. I've been using this particular holster for @ 6 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    The 1911 was intended to be carried Condition 1. (Round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on). Some thumb break holsters won't allow the hammer to be cocked. I use a Raven Concealment holster. It's molded so that the safety can't be moved off the safe position while it's holstered & the retention is very good.
    ^^^This^^^

1911's are designed to be carried condition 1. Condition 3 is safe but slower to draw if you actually have a call to use it. Absolutely avoid condition 2, unsafe and doesn't give any advantage over even condition 3 IMHO.

Flame suit on.
    I also carry in a serpa when I carry my full sized guns. I can draw faster from the serpa and it has really good retention. I like them a lot, the commander size I have doesn't fit right in one, odd size to the trigger guard, so I went leather. I would recommend one as an option as well if you want to go with something different.

I'll try to post a pic or two if I get a chance today.

(Lycoming County)

Here's my Star in the Blackhawk holster.

Very comfy holster. You can wear it all day and not even notice it.

Here's the serpa with my Colt in it.

Not quite as comfy, it is a bigger heavier gun though. I really like both for different reasons. The serpa gets points for drawing and ease of removing the holster, with the paddle anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast