Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default How gun friendly is PA?.

Ladies and Gents can someone here help me out. I was reading Guns&Ammo Best States for Gun Owners 2014. I noticed that in 2013 PA ranked 20th with 45 points but now in 2014 PA ranked 31 with total of 40 points. PA lost 5 points 1 in Class 3/NFA and 4 in miscellaneous. Can someone tell what did PA lose here, how bad is this?. I will really appreciate your input in this. THANKS.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: How gun friendly is PA?.

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK21163 View Post
    Ladies and Gents can someone here help me out. I was reading Guns&Ammo Best States for Gun Owners 2014. I noticed that in 2013 PA ranked 20th with 45 points but now in 2014 PA ranked 31 with total of 40 points. PA lost 5 points 1 in Class 3/NFA and 4 in miscellaneous. Can someone tell what did PA lose here, how bad is this?. I will really appreciate your input in this. THANKS.

Those rankings are usually BS. I haven't read this one, but for example Texas usually ranks higher than PA despite no open carry, restrictions on restaurant/bar carry and more expensive "LTCF" with more requirements.

(Delaware County)

Just know it's falling precipitously down the rankings if the current (D)imwit gubernatorial hopeful fools enough low information voters over taxes and school funding.

(Jefferson County)

No gun laws have changed for better or for worse in the past number of years.

All NFA devices are legal in PA, except exploding devices. Carry laws haven't changed either.

Those gimmick listings are just that - gimmicks. Any state that prohibits unlicensed open carry should be below PA - that includes so-called gun friendly states like FL and TX. Our LTCF is only $20 versus the buttload of money for many other states. No training required, no fingerprints, no sucking a judge/LEO johnson to get a license..

For $20 PA's LTCF is probably one of the best bang-for-buck licenses when it comes to reciprocity. Yeah, we don't have as many states as a few others - but for $20 it wins even if another state has 4-8 more and their license costs 4 to 6 times more.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Ladies and Gents can someone here help me out. I was reading Guns&Ammo Best States for Gun Owners 2014.
    Herein lies the problem.
    G&A is complete suck.

Pa is 'gun friendly,' except Philly, and the immediate surrounding burbs. Lower Bucks, Montco, Chester and Delaware Counties, nearest the Philly border, have gone Left-Wing.

(Allegheny County)

Agree that G&A sucks and has sucked for a lonnnnnnnnnng time, but IMHO – PA has lost some of it’s “pro-2A” credibility to the rest of the country...

We have typically supported Dems in the White House, we have an anti-2A AG, we are on the verge of losing our Guv to an anti-2A Guv if we stay home and pick our noses on Election Day, all the major PA cities have anti-2A gov’ts in place, and, both of our senators have revealed their true anti-2A colors.

Our state leaders of both parties dance to the tune of public employee unions only – typically solidly Dems – but fortunately for us, some union folks are hunters. Speaking of which; Ceasefire PA laughs at us these days as they have publicly recognized the lackadaisical behavior of our “2A deer hunter” population and their/our lack of NRA solidity.

We are on the edge of losing FTF rifle sales and have long-lost FTF handgun sales in our "non-handgun registration" sales process..

Otherwise; if you want to carry a handgun OC or concealed, or cross your fingers that your CLEO will sign your F1s and F4s – we are a “great 2A state”.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Indiana County)

The refusal of Sheriffs to sign NFA forms and the refusal of Sheriffs to issue LTCF's without their own made up requirements are the only things I see that could be swaying that list. (Other than the obvious G&A slant)

So it seems to me that the PA Sheriffs system might be the blame.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Our LTCF is only $20 versus the buttload of money for many other states. No training required, no fingerprints, no sucking a judge/LEO johnson to get a license..

For $20 PA's LTCF is probably one of the best bang-for-buck licenses when it comes to reciprocity. Yeah, we don't have as many states as a few others - but for $20 it wins even if another state has 4-8 more and their license costs 4 to 6 times more.
    I agree.

TN HCP applicants are required to:
    • Applicant shall submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved Handgun Safety Course within the past six (6) months.
    • Provide CERTIFIED PROOF of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency (no photocopies).
    • Submit application at any full service Driver License Service Center location.
    • Applicant is required to present a photo ID to the department at the time of filing the application.
    • Pay $115 non-refundable application fee payable by cash, certified check, or money order.
    • When the application is processed at the driver service center, the applicant will be given instructions on being fingerprinted.

The safety course was quite good, but cost an additional $60.00 plus 50rds of ammo.

Total cost: $195.00 for 4 yrs and $50.00 renewal after that.
    - 115+60+20(for ammo)
    Last edited by dp2002; October 8th, 2014 at 09:27 AM.
    "Oh, that these evil days should be mine..."

(Bucks County)

Vote for Wolf and keep Kane and you'll find out real quick.

Hell don't vote and you will get the same outcome.

I also think we have become complacent with a false sense of security with the current admin.

Hold them to a higher standard and get more repealed/implemented.

Cease fire and Headings God's call suck bulls balls.

(Allegheny County)

PA is very gun friendly as far as ownership. There are no assault weapon bans, no magazine bans, etc. I don't think PA limits any type of firearm so your just looking at federal bans.

The biggest problems I would say are:

1. Transporting a "firearm" (handgun, SBR, SBS) is illegal without a LTCF except for a very limited number of places and there is no provisions to make any stops in between.

2. Hunting: You cant use a semi-auto or on Sunday.

3. Minor issues with the LTCF process. While it is easy in most counties (Philly excluded) to get a LTCF the fact that there is no real punishment for individual counties to make it harder and the character clause does poke some holes in what is relatively a good licence/permit. Constitutional carry would be better, but generally speaking outside of Philly getting a LTCF is much better of a process vs other states.

4. Philly in general. Even if you follow the laws the police force out there is so rabidly anti-gun they will use anything and everything in their power do disrupt or outright violate your firearms rights.

5. The sales database aka "not a registry". Any firearm purchased in PA gets put into a sales database. It has been used as a defacto registry and there have been reported cases of confiscations by LEO for a firearm "not registered to you".
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 8th, 2014 at 10:21 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast