Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Interested in M1

I want an M1 Garand and have been doing some reading..

To purchase from the CMP do I need to satisfy all of the requirements? I cant seem to locate a club within a reasonable distance of my home that offers CMP membership. Also it seems as if the price dictates the quality of the rifle am I right? And is the CMP the right route for an M1 or is there a better way to find one?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Interested in M1

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDonJohnson View Post
    I want an M1 Garand and have been doing some reading..

To purchase from the CMP do I need to satisfy all of the requirements? I cant seem to locate a club within a reasonable distance of my home that offers CMP membership. Also it seems as if the price dictates the quality of the rifle am I right? And is the CMP the right route for an M1 or is there a better way to find one?
    Crockett,
    Yes, the CMP rules are spelled out quite clear in their instructions. Some other affiliate organizations are permitted also. Rifles are graded by quality into categories. Each quality category has an increasing price point. I've purchased several M1's via the CMP, and IMO, it's the cheapest route for a quality rifle. If you haven't already, make sure to visit their website.

Sincerely,
    Tubbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Allegheny County)

The CMP guns would be your most affordable route, but that said, I have been to funshows where some folks put some blood, sweat, and tears into restifying CMP Garands and were reselling them at reasonable prices, considering all that was done to make them real lookers.

Theoretically the CMP guns are meant for personal use and NFR, but the folks that run the CMP wink and nod at being the private wholesaler to "those who qualify" - which is why you find a shit-pot full of CMP guns and ammo being sold at PA funshows.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Elk County)

Join the Garand Collectors Association for like $25, that satisfies the club req. You also need either a LTCF, DD 214, of proof you were a LEO or competitive shooter to meet the firearms training / experience req. IIRC the rest is a completed CMP app and a copy of birth cert or US passport, state DL, etc. Simple.

The rifles are priced by grade, and the prices increase with improved condition.

HTH,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Are you looking for a collector gun or a shooter?

Shooting in a CMP sponsored match is not the only means of qualifying. Are you or were you ever in the military? Law enforcement?

You aren't really getting a "CMP membership" as the website states. It just means you have to be affiliated with an organization that participates in certain CMP events. These organizations include VFW, American Legion, some gun clubs, etc...

Quality and rarity of rifle is what drives the prices. If you want a shooter and are not interested in collector value, buy the Springfield Special. It costs a little more but this is the closest you will come to a brand new M1 Garand.

(Butler County)

The CMP is the safest and best way to buy an M1. Coincidentally, they offer great prices and the extra hoops you have to go through are very much worth it Get one while you still can, they are drying up quickly.

Bill
    Last edited by paplinker22; October 7th, 2014 at 09:04 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    but the folks that run the CMP wink and nod at being the private wholesaler to "those who qualify" - which is why you find a shit-pot full of CMP guns and ammo being sold at PA funshows.
    I think this is a real shame. I don't feel as though the CMPs end game or mission has been profit and why they knowingly enable others to do so is disappointing. And very soon, buying Garands from the CMP will be a story we tell our grandkids about

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by paplinker22 View Post
    I think this is a real shame. I don't feel as though the CMPs end game or mission has been profit and why they knowingly enable others to do so is disappointing. And very soon, buying Garands from the CMP will be a story we tell our grandkids about

Bill
    At one time there was a limit on the number one could buy per year. This was changed due to legitimate customers that wanted the restrictions relaxed. In turn we have unlimited sales with a few taking advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by paplinker22 View Post
    The CMP is the safest and best way to buy an M1. Coincidentally, they offer great prices and the extra hoops you have to go through are very much worth it Get one while you still can, they are drying up quickly.

Bill
    This is good advice. I trust the graders at the CMP. I do not know enough about erosion to trust dealers at shows that are only interested in making money.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    This is good advice. I trust the graders at the CMP. I do not know enough about erosion to trust dealers at shows that are only interested in making money.
    Since I've gotten into the game, I've seen very few M1s in local gun shops. Most though were from century arms and they were definitely not in serviceable condition. I remember one, the trigger guard unlatched when the rifle was parallel to the ground, the barrel was literally a tomato stake, and it didn't pass the tilt test. The CMP may send you a fairly worn out barrel but the rifle will be serviceable my milspec standards of the time.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast