Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default AR accuracy, how accurate is your setup?

That last debacle of a thread got me thinking, how well does your AR really shoot accuracy wise?
    What are the specs on gun and ammo?

I here lots of claims that my XYZ AR shoots MOA yet it sports a mil-spec barrel and shoots factory ammo, does it really? Post up some pics if so.

I know there are plenty of sub MOA AR's but most are not sporting chrome lined mil-spec barrels or shooting factory 55 grain FMJ.

Post some pics of your AR and it's capabilities.

Here's my best shooting AR, it's a complete LMT 14.5" M4. I added a DD rail, Geissele SSA trigger along with a SWFA fixed 12X scope with a ADM. Best to date I have ever shot with this setup was 5 shot .835, conditions were perfect. I shot this group with a Leupold 1.25x4, never dialed in the 12X so I'm curious to see if I can do better.

Most often I am able to shoot between 1-1.25 with certain ammo and good conditions with an occasional group just under MOA. This is the best I could do to get the most out of a mil-spec 14.5" M4 barrel, I'm very happy with the results.

Next move is to re-barrel, going with a Noveske 16" Recon and 77grn bullets.

Last edited by arjohnson; October 6th, 2014 at 07:42 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: AR accuracy, how accurate is your setup?

My CMP rifle is sub moa. It is a White Oak Armament upper with pinned rear sight. Lower has a Geissele Hi-Speed Service Rifle trigger.

I can punch the X ring with almost any commercial ammo at 100 yards but out past that the longer 69gr and up is used.
    No optics needed on this rifle.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=259&page=1

(Allegheny County)

Nice, no surprise. I've seen many similar CMP guns shoot with the same results as yours.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    That last debacle of a thread got me thinking, how well does your AR really shoot accuracy wise?
    What are the specs on gun and ammo?

I here lots of claims that my XYZ AR shoots MOA yet it sports a mil-spec barrel and shoots factory ammo, does it really? Post up some pics if so.

I know there are plenty of sub MOA AR's but most are not sporting chrome lined mil-spec barrels or shooting factory 55 grain FMJ.

Post some pics of your AR and it's capabilities.

Here's my best shooting AR, it's a complete LMT 14.5" M4. I added a DD rail, Geissele SSA trigger along with a SWFA fixed 12X scope with a ADM. Best to date I have ever shot with this setup was 5 shot .835, conditions were perfect. I shot this group with a Leupold 1.25x4, never dialed in the 12X so I'm curious to see if I can do better.

Most often I am able to shoot between 1-1.25 with certain ammo and good conditions with an occasional group just under MOA. This is the best I could do to get the most out of a mil-spec 14.5" M4 barrel, I'm very happy with the results.

Next move is to re-barrel, going with a Noveske 16" Recon and 77grn bullets.

The min tolerances for Mil-Spec is 4MOA for rifle and ammo.... I'd bet most commercially available ARs and Mil Surp ammo will do way better than that....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    The min tolerances for Mil-Spec is 4MOA for rifle and ammo.... I'd bet most commercially available ARs and Mil Surp ammo will do way better than that....
    I don't know about way better but most of my Colts are at best 2MOA. Now this 2MOA is firing from unsupported prone and not sandbagged on a bench. Sighting system is an aimpoint.

If one "builds" an SPR or CMP style rifle, it's entirely possible to achieve sub MOA accuracy out of them. And I have no doubt that occasionally a mass produced rifle from any manufacturer can shoot shoot sub MOA groups.

However, the combat spec of 4MOA, and this is important, exceeds the ability of most riflemen IN FIELD CONDITIONS UNDER THE STRESS OF COMBAT.

Point is, what is the point of page after page of debate with respect to this or that manufacturer's accuracy potential, based on the VERY SMALL sample sizes of the participants in these threads?

My own experience with a 1980's era Colt Blue Label with a Colt (6920) 16 inch upper assembly and a Gen 1 aimpoint allowed me to hit pepper poppers at a carbine course at gunsite at 400 yards. How much more accuracy do we expect, or more importantly, require, from mass produced battle rifles without compromising reliability?

BTW, great thread topic.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Better than MOA or better than 4 MOA? all my mil-spec AR's shoot better than 4 MOA, under MOA is a different story.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I don't know about way better but most of my Colts are at best 2MOA. Now this 2MOA is firing from unsupported prone and not sandbagged on a bench. Sighting system is an aimpoint.

If one "builds" an SPR or CMP style rifle, it's entirely possible to achieve sub MOA accuracy out of them. And I have no doubt that occasionally a mass produced rifle from any manufacturer can shoot shoot sub MOA groups.

However, the combat spec of 4MOA, and this is important, exceeds the ability of most riflemen IN FIELD CONDITIONS UNDER THE STRESS OF COMBAT.

Point is, what is the point of page after page of debate with respect to this or that manufacturer's accuracy potential, based on the VERY SMALL sample sizes of the participants in these threads?

My own experience with a 1980's era Colt Blue Label with a Colt (6920) 16 inch upper assembly and a Gen 1 aimpoint allowed me to hit pepper poppers at a carbine course at gunsite at 400 yards. How much more accuracy do we expect, or more importantly, require, from mass produced battle rifles without compromising reliability?

BTW, great thread topic.
    That is good shooting.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Better than MOA or better than 4 MOA? all my mil-spec AR's shoot better than 4 MOA, under MOA is a different story.
    Better than 4 MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post

BTW, great thread topic.
    2 MOA is IMHO, WAY better than 4 MOA....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Beaver County)

Stag model 6 with 24" stainless bull barrel, 4-14 Leupold scope, CMC single stage trigger at 2.5lbs, grip pod and home rolled 68 grain Hornady BTHP in federal nickle plated brass. Bench shot only really. It's sub MOA at 100 and if I'm doing my part 1.5" groups at 200. I've never really shot it at paper past 200 but can ring steel all day out to 700. I'll post a pic later when I'm not on the phone but there is a pic floating around in the AR pictures thread.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Lawrence County)

4 MOA being the standard makes me feel pretty good about 2" at 100 yards with a 1:7 twist shooting 55 grains.

Now I want to load some 77 grain rounds and use a bullseye that stands out better.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast