Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Question Legal ways to dispatch a groundhog in suburban area

Hi all,

I have gained a lot of help by reading these forums, and finally decided to make an account to ask a question.

I have spent many hours reading here and other places, as well as the Hunting and Trapping Digest, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer. I don't want to do anything illegal, I just want to know what my legal options are.

We live in Southeastern PA, in a rural area. We have 1/8 acre of land with neighbors close by on both sides. Love the area, just don't love the groundhog who decided to move under our shed recently.

I called a game commission officer to see what my options are. He told me I am allowed to kill the groundhog as the property owner since it's a nuisance animal that's causing property damage, but apparently I'm still required to follow the laws for allowed hunting weapons. He says I may not use a pellet gun or I could get a fine. And I asked about using my 22, and he said I may not use that because it's not safe on such a small property.

I'd like to build a wooden live trap and trap it, but then I'm wondering what my options are for legally killing it. Just want to have all the bases covered.

My 22 is a semi-auto, which was legal in another state for hunting but not in PA.

So, what's the best legal way for a homeowner to kill a groundhog in a live trap? I prefer a live trap since the neighbors have pet cats and a dog that wander around sometimes.

Would you recommend:
    1. Bow and arrow (I don't have one yet, but might get one anyway.)
    2. Spear it with a knife when it's in the trap
    3. Drown it in a container of water
    4. Set a conibear trap just outside the live trap and release it
    5. Release it into a feed sack and club it

In my opinion, the most humane way is to live trap it, and then shoot it at close range with either a pellet gun or a 22. My only other gun currently is a 12 gauge slug gun. I plan to get a deer rifle, but that won't help the current problem...

The game commission officer asked me if we have acreage for shooting and hunting. I told him we have a very small lot, only 1/8 acre. He said since our lot is too small for rifles, my other option is to trap it and release it on a State Game Land. There are two things I don't understand about that. 1) I've read that a LEO will often shoot a skunk in a live trap and remove the body for someone. I think that's the case, no matter if they live in the city or in the country. If it's safe for a LEO, why isn't it safe for me? I would never shoot across our small property with a 22, but shooting directly toward the ground at an animal in a live trap seems different to me. 2) If I'm understanding correctly, a groundhog is a rabies vector animal and relocating them is not allowed.

I hope you understand my question. I'm not trying to do anything illegal, in fact I'm asking all these questions so I can understand my legal options. Then if a neighbor complains, I know I'm covered.

Help...how did folks kill animals before guns were invented?

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Legal ways to dispatch a groundhog in suburban area

I've killed several with big rocks while out walking. Our dogs would get into fights with the hogs and I'd kill the hog just to speed things up. The dogs knew enough to back up, they look at you differently afterward too. Lol

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by StillHunting View Post
    Hi all,

I have gained a lot of help by reading these forums, and finally decided to make an account to ask a question.

I have spent many hours reading here and other places, as well as the Hunting and Trapping Digest, but I can't seem to find a satisfactory answer. I don't want to do anything illegal, I just want to know what my legal options are.

We live in Southeastern PA, in a rural area. We have 1/8 acre of land with neighbors close by on both sides. Love the area, just don't love the groundhog who decided to move under our shed recently.

I called a game commission officer to see what my options are. He told me I am allowed to kill the groundhog as the property owner since it's a nuisance animal that's causing property damage, but apparently I'm still required to follow the laws for allowed hunting weapons. He says I may not use a pellet gun or I could get a fine. And I asked about using my 22, and he said I may not use that because it's not safe on such a small property.

I'd like to build a wooden live trap and trap it, but then I'm wondering what my options are for legally killing it. Just want to have all the bases covered.

My 22 is a semi-auto, which was legal in another state for hunting but not in PA.

So, what's the best legal way for a homeowner to kill a groundhog in a live trap? I prefer a live trap since the neighbors have pet cats and a dog that wander around sometimes.

Would you recommend:
    1. Bow and arrow (I don't have one yet, but might get one anyway.)
    2. Spear it with a knife when it's in the trap
    3. Drown it in a container of water
    4. Set a conibear trap just outside the live trap and release it
    5. Release it into a feed sack and club it

In my opinion, the most humane way is to live trap it, and then shoot it at close range with either a pellet gun or a 22. My only other gun currently is a 12 gauge slug gun. I plan to get a deer rifle, but that won't help the current problem...

The game commission officer asked me if we have acreage for shooting and hunting. I told him we have a very small lot, only 1/8 acre. He said since our lot is too small for rifles, my other option is to trap it and release it on a State Game Land. There are two things I don't understand about that. 1) I've read that a LEO will often shoot a skunk in a live trap and remove the body for someone. I think that's the case, no matter if they live in the city or in the country. If it's safe for a LEO, why isn't it safe for me? I would never shoot across our small property with a 22, but shooting directly toward the ground at an animal in a live trap seems different to me. 2) If I'm understanding correctly, a groundhog is a rabies vector animal and relocating them is not allowed.

I hope you understand my question. I'm not trying to do anything illegal, in fact I'm asking all these questions so I can understand my legal options. Then if a neighbor complains, I know I'm covered.

Help...how did folks kill animals before guns were invented?

The WCO already answered your question.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Delaware County)

You could show it naked pictures of Rosie O'Donnel and leave the gun in the cage. Walk away and things will take care of them selves.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Allegheny County)

A capable dog is a good option. My two German Shepherds got one a couple weeks ago in the yard, it was ugly and legal I guess.

(Mercer County)

Carbide, water, matches.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

From what I gathered you can use one of those box traps that doesn't kill the animal and then you need to drown it in a garbage can full of water. I believe this was discussed before here in the forums. Squirrels you can trap and release. Harbor Freight sells the traps, small medium and large. A medium trap should work fine on most adult groundhogs. Just remember to wear large gloves for protection. JMHO
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    The WCO already answered your question.
    So he can and at the same time can not kill it, correct?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Why not relocate the damn thing to somewhere else once you have it trapped?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Why not relocate the damn thing to somewhere else once you have it trapped?
    Rabies, They may be carrying rabies. By relocating it you just end up spreading possible infection. I also think you need to give the dead animal to the PGC for testing but I am unsure. It is explained on the PA Game Commission website.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast