Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SR22 or M&P 22?

(Pike County)

Default SR22 or M&P 22?

Narrowed down my search for a new 22lr pistol.

I am a Ruger guy, but never had one of there pistols.

Some things to consider:
    1. I have big hands..G19 seemed small to me.
    2. I like that M&P 22 seems bigger grips
    3. M&P is 12+1, RUger 10+1
    4. SR22 is very popular.

Any input?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: SR22 or M&P 22?

The M&P22 is like the rest of the M&P line; should fit bigger hands without trouble. One of my buddies got one for his son to run at a local USPSA match with him, and the thing ran without issues. Pick up both to get a feel if you can; otherwise I'd go with the M&P22.

(Indiana County)

I have long fingers, not meathooks, I like the size of a para double stack and the Beretta 92 as well as a G21.
    That said, I can shoot a SR22 easily.
    Mags are about $28 locally.

I have one, a lavender one I bought for my girls.
    Sunday was the first time it was shot since new, not a single problem.
    (well, except for when my 8yo tried it herself, limpwristing, not a hitch when I shot it or when I helped her)
    We used a mix of ammo from my leftover box, whatever is leftover after shooting gets dumped into a plastic box, it fed everything from Thunderbolts to Mini-Mags.

I can't comment on the S&W, haven't shot one.

(Lackawanna County)

If you want to handle an sr22 let me know. Your location doesn't say much more than pike county. I've got a mosquito as well

(Cumberland County)

The M&P is essentially a full sized pistol so with big hands I think you can't go wrong with this one.

The Ruger SR22 is certainly a much more unique kind of pistol. It is small and compact, but it does come with a bigger rubber grip you can swap out and it works great. It still however, might be too small for your taste.

I suggest checking them both out and see what fits you best. They are both great pistols, but I hear the M&P is likely going to be more accurate.

The SR22 is small. My wife has no issues shooting ours and she has tiny hands. I haven't tried the larger grip that came with it, but I can't see that making much of a difference.

Which M&P .22 are you speaking about the older full size one that is actually made by Walther or the newly release compact that is made here by S&W? I have the older full size for a bit over a year I purchased a G19 along with the M&P right after I moved to PA. I have put around 300+ rounds through it over this time which is not all that much but I have yet to have any issues. It feeds Remington Golden bullets all the way up to Wolf match with no issues. Mag's were hard to get when I picked it up but now I am seeing them pop up on Midway and other places. Here's a tip if you see 10 round mags or the 10 round Version dont be put off by it since you can disassemble the mags and pull the plastic limiter right out and have a 12 round mag.

I was looking very hard at the SR22 also then when I picked up the M&P by chance I fell in love with the ego's of the platform and since have changed my carry gun over to a Shield. There were some reports of people having some issues with the older full size M&P's like mine but again I have never had an issue but only time will tell. The new S&W American made M&P compacts are supposed to kick ass.

Check out PSA they had them both for well under $400.00 a few weeks back.

$339.00 for the compact
    $334.00 for the full size
    Free shipping for the weekend with any order over $100.00
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 3rd, 2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Added online prices from PSA

(Butler County)

Go with the m&p compact. Highly recommend it

(Montgomery County)

I prefer the SR22 but my hands aren't very large either. It's a very nice little pistol. Also purchase before November 30th and you can send a rebate into Ruger for an extra mag and a 222 pack of 22LR.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Which M&P .22 are you speaking about the older full size one that is actually made by Walther or the newly release compact that is made here by S&W? I have the older full size for a bit over a year I purchased a G19 along with the M&P right after I moved to PA. I have put around 300+ rounds through it over this time which is not all that much but I have yet to have any issues. It feeds Remington Golden bullets all the way up to Wolf match with no issues. Mag's were hard to get when I picked it up but now I am seeing them pop up on Midway and other places. Here's a tip if you see 10 round mags or the 10 round Version dont be put off by it since you can disassemble the mags and pull the plastic limiter right out and have a 12 round mag.

I was looking very hard at the SR22 also then when I picked up the M&P by chance I fell in love with the ego's of the platform and since have changed my carry gun over to a Shield. There were some reports of people having some issues with the older full size M&P's like mine but again I have never had an issue but only time will tell. The new S&W American made M&P compacts are supposed to kick ass.

Check out PSA they had them both for well under $300.00 a few weeks back.
    I have no idea what limiter their is in the compact mags??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast