Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Derringer for "BUG"/"walk the dog gun"

Anyone have any thoughts on a derringer for a BUG/going to the convenience store, self defense gun? I think they are so cool but 2 shots... hmmm better make them count!

A 410 derringer would be good in some cases I guess. close range/1 target

Does anyone own/used to own a cobra arms derringer or the CA32/CA380? I think they are cool but I have not heard much on them from a consumer standpoint. Price is right though!

Thanks

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Derringer for "BUG"/"walk the dog gun"

I've carried them as BUGs and primary depending on my needs of the moment.

I had two matching 45/410 derringers. And presently have a 38spl Cobra - which is a POS.

If you do go the derringer route - get an American Derringer or the Bond. ...avoid the Cobra/Davis 2-shooters.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

I would just be a bit to worried about the 2 shot capacity and slow reload... while they are very small I'd rather go with another very small gun like a KelTec or Kahr. At least you have enough firepower to stand a fighting chance... the .410 is supposed to kick badly as well.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I would just be a bit to worried about the 2 shot capacity and slow reload... while they are very small I'd rather go with another very small gun like a KelTec or Kahr. At least you have enough firepower to stand a fighting chance... the .410 is supposed to kick badly as well.
    Its not as bad as you would think. The 3" shells get your attention real quick, but the 2-1/2" shells are about on par as a 357mag.

Those guns are designed to roll up in your hand, not push back into your wrists like most others(DA revolvers and brass polluters).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I've carried them as BUGs and primary depending on my needs of the moment.

I had two matching 45/410 derringers. And presently have a 38spl Cobra - which is a POS.

If you do go the derringer route - get an American Derringer or the Bond. ...avoid the Cobra/Davis 2-shooters.
    Knight,

If you don't mind me asking... what makes the cobras a POS?
    It seems like such a simple design that even an armless monkey could make them correctly.

I am more or less interested in a derringer just for the hell of it... I think they are so cool! Mostly for fun shooting and just to say I own one!

Thanks to all for your input!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Fly View Post
    Knight,

If you don't mind me asking... what makes the cobras a POS?
    It seems like such a simple design that even an armless monkey could make them correctly.

I am more or less interested in a derringer just for the hell of it... I think they are so cool! Mostly for fun shooting and just to say I own one!

Thanks to all for your input!
    What makes it a POS:

The metal is a zinc alloy which is VERY soft and brittle - unlike steels where when they are soft the are less likely to fracture.

The trigger had a pull of about 20lbs. Yes, twenty pounds. I've since gave it a workings and got it down to about 8-10lbs.

The racket cam doesn't always work - thus not switching over to the other barrel.

The trigger pin likes to work its way out. They aren't staked on either side, only working on "close tolerances" - which they aren't because it likes to move.

The rifling looks like it was painted in. My micrometer cant measure the difference between the lands and grooves - virtually a smoothbore and very inaccurate for even a derringer.

(Jefferson County)

I dont want to totally knock the Cobras. I do love mine just for the fact that it's a derringer. But if I had the money I would have gotten an American Derringer product first. ...they are some damn nice pieces and have a wider selection of chamberings.

(Chester County)

I'd say it's probably marginally better than a pointy stick.

Any gun is better than no gun, when you need a gun.
    I'd either take a good fighting blade or a j-frame...I don't see the point of a 2 shot gun that size.

(Blair County)

I have a Bond Arms derringer I bought several years ago. The quality is outstanding!

Call the factory; ask for Charlie. He'll answer any & every question you have.

They have provided me with the best support I have ever seen anywhere. With the possible exception of NAA. They too are worthy of a +1.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

Buy a J-frame instead, five shots vs two, almost as easy to conceal.

The J-frame is easier to find in your pocket, too.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast