Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another Out of State LTCF question

so I have tried to read a few other threads about this and I keep getting confused. I (puts on flame suit) Am a NY resident, eventually want to move to PA and am working on that, and today I received my unrestricted carry permit here in New York and I now want to go get my LTCF in PA since the boarder is only 15 or so min away.

My first question does anyone know who i would go see to apply for around the Sayre PA area.

Second question, I believe I would be able to legally OC in PA as of right now, but would my New York permit cover me in my vehicle, then when i get out of said vehicle just make sure I am OCing?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Another Out of State LTCF question

Lives in NY
    Obtained a carry permit
    Username SGreen

You're either a unicorn
    A well connected politician
    Or a celebrity
    I'm going with Seth Green

Love your movies. Come to PA and I'll take ya shooting

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgreen10 View Post
    so I have tried to read a few other threads about this and I keep getting confused. I (puts on flame suit) Am a NY resident, eventually want to move to PA and am working on that, and today I received my unrestricted carry permit here in New York and I now want to go get my LTCF in PA since the boarder is only 15 or so min away.

My first question does anyone know who i would go see to apply for around the Sayre PA area.

Second question, I believe I would be able to legally OC in PA as of right now, but would my New York permit cover me in my vehicle, then when i get out of said vehicle just make sure I am OCing?
    First Question:

You go to the County Sheriff's office. When you enter the court house you well need to check your firearm. They are required to provide storage, & to provide you with a receipt. My Court house does not provide a receipt - other than you keeping the key to the locker. Then again my court house is not wasting my tax dollars on rent a cops or sleeping deputies.

Two: I am 95% sure the answer is yes, however I am not 100%.

Edit: Am now 100% sure.

Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

This maybe helpful. Some counties do not like out of Commonwealth permits. Not sure how recently it has been updated.

http://www.pafoa.org/counties
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; September 30th, 2014 at 11:51 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Lives in NY
    Obtained a carry permit
    Username SGreen

You're either a unicorn
    A well connected politician
    Or a celebrity
    I'm going with Seth Green

Love your movies. Come to PA and I'll take ya shooting

i wish i was that Seth Green, but fun little fact that is my name.

and want to know whats more unicorn about all of that, is with the approval letter I got in the mail (along with the 3 hour worthless class to get the unrestricted i had to take) turns out New York is an OC state (they just recommend you conceal)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    First Question:

You go to the County Sheriff's office. When you enter the court house you well need to check your firearm. They are required to provide storage, & to provide you with a receipt. My Court house does not provide a receipt - other than you keeping the key to the locker. Then again my court house is not wasting my tax dollars on rent a cops or sleeping deputies.

Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

This maybe helpful. Some counties do not like out of Commonwealth permits. Not sure how recently it has been updated.

http://www.pafoa.org/counties

thanks for the info, i was thinking thats how it would work for the second question, but i wasnt sure since NY and PA have no reciprocity

(Juniata County)

thanks for the info, i was thinking thats how it would work for the second question, but i wasnt sure since NY and PA have no reciprocity
    How it works is there is an exemption for vehicle carry due to your NY permit. There is not an exemption for you to conceal, so it remains unlawful.

To be clear: There is no clear line for what is concealing and what is not. IE if you would be charged with unlawful concealment it comes down to would a reasonable person believe you had an intent to conceal.

I would recommend being on the side of being more conspicuous - bright pink gun, Lovely large .357 revolver - nice engraved leather holster, or obvious retention (plastic) holster, that short of thing.

Welcome to the Commonwealth. Now, if you'll turn to the owner's manual of your car, it well have a section on traffic signals and warning devices. In PA we call them "turn signals" You use them before a lane change, or when turn turning onto another road, or before you pass or pull in front of another vehicle.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

How it works is there is an exemption for vehicle carry due to your NY permit. There is not an exemption for you to conceal, so it remains unlawful.

To be clear: There is no clear line for what is concealing and what is not. IE if you would be charged with unlawful concealment it comes down to would a reasonable person believe you had an intent to conceal.

I would recommend being on the side of being more conspicuous - bright pink gun, Lovely large .357 revolver - nice engraved leather holster, or obvious retention (plastic) holster, that short of thing.

Welcome to the Commonwealth. Now, if you'll turn to the owner's manual of your car, it well have a section on traffic signals and warning devices. In PA we call them "turn signals" You use them before a lane change, or when turn turning onto another road, or before you pass or pull in front of another vehicle.
    hey now i said i was from NY not New Jersey (and not from the city) so i know what that funny little knob on the left side of my steering wheel does lol

again thanks for the info, i have no problem with OCing just wanted to make sure i would be covered while driving into and out of PA especially to the gun range that i go to in PA

(Erie County)

[B]

NYS does not provide a reciprocal privilege AFAIK. IANAL.

(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    NYS does not provide a reciprocal privilege AFAIK. IANAL.

i guess that is where my confusion is, one one part i read that as i would be covered, but then the second part i wouldnt be covered(?)

(Erie County)

i guess that is where my confusion is, one one part i read that as i would be covered, but then the second part i wouldnt be covered(?)

Exemption (15) has two conditions attached, which is why I pointed out the first condition. Exemptions are defenses for statute in question, if I'm correct, therefore you can still be cited and this matter would have to be settled in court. Again, IANAL.

Best to apply for PA LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast