Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Landlord all of a sudden says no guns.

So I am moving into a new town house. My landlord is now having reservations about renting to me even though my lease has started and she has my money. She is considering terminating my lease because I own firearms. I am really at a loss of what to do here because I have 10 days to turn keys in at my old place and it took me a year to find a suitable place to move to.

The lease says nothing about no firearms but she still wants to terminate. Her husband is who I dealt with in the leasing process but he recently had surgery and she is now opposed to leasing to someone who owns guns.

Clearly I don't like giving antigunners my business but I cant find a new place and move into it in 10 days and my current property management already has a new tenant for my current place.

Does she have any legal recourse? Do I?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Landlord all of a sudden says no guns.

If it's not in the lease, she can't use it to terminate your lease agreement. There is a legal process involved in terminating a residential lease, and the landlord needs to go to court to file to evict you, if I am not mistaken.

Some landlords may have the ability to change or alter the terms of the lease at any time. I am trying to do a little research for you right now. <- Looks like this was not correct - lease terms cannot be changed until the end of the lease term.

I would contact a lawyer, if I were you.

ETA: The landlord cannot change a signed lease until the lease is up. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...nsylvania.html

Also, your landlord would have to file an "Unconditional Quit" to evict you - but only if you are in violation of the terms of your lease. http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...minations.html

If you already signed a lease, and there is no "No firearms" stipulation in it, and you are not breaking the law...you should be okay.

Seriously, though...maybe a lawyer can weigh in on this?
    Junior

(Carbon County)

how did the landlord find out you had firearms before you even moved in?

Shhhhhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger01 View Post

how did the landlord find out you had firearms before you even moved in?
    Her brother-in-law lives in the unit next to me and he saw my empty gun safe being unloaded into the garage.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by duqjeep2010 View Post
    So I am moving into a new town house. My landlord is now having reservations about renting to me even though my lease has started and she has my money. She is considering terminating my lease because I own firearms. I am really at a loss of what to do here because I have 10 days to turn keys in at my old place and it took me a year to find a suitable place to move to.

The lease says nothing about no firearms but she still wants to terminate. Her husband is who I dealt with in the leasing process but he recently had surgery and she is now opposed to leasing to someone who owns guns.

Clearly I don't like giving antigunners my business but I cant find a new place and move into it in 10 days and my current property management already has a new tenant for my current place.

Does she have any legal recourse? Do I?
    F*** the landlord . I don't think they can even legally do that if you have already signed the lease .

(Bucks County)

both parties signed a legally binding contract?

am I correct?

Her brother-in-law lives in the unit next to me and he saw my empty gun safe being unloaded into the garage.
    the correct response would have been its for my valuables. You have a contract which both parties are obligated to abide by for the term. She will not be able to get you out unless you violate an express term. So make sure to pay your rent ahead of time and don't violate any other terms.

Quote Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
    the correct response would have been its for my valuables. You have a contract which both parties are obligated to abide by for the term. She will not be able to get you out unless you violate an express term. So make sure to pay your rent ahead of time and don't violate any other terms.
    And I store walnuts in my ammo cans right?

(Bucks County)

And I store walnuts in my ammo cans right?
    your dietary habits are not at issue here.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast