Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Limit number of bumps for ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
    I hate that we always resort to making rules because of annoying but otherwise harmless behavior like seeing the same overpriced item bumped for the 100th time.

How about we just open the ad for comments after the 10th bump. Then people can just unload on the OP with witty comments on their lack of common sense. It would also make the classifieds fun to read.
    Best solution i have seen yet. I have at least 10 really good VHS tape jokes ready to go.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can't the forum software be set to auto-close threads that are beyond a certain age? If so, make it something reasonable, 45 days should be more than enough time to hawk your wares.
    There must be some way of doing that.

If people want free ads fine, but sometimes the same people are clogging up the new post pages with their item that has been bumped 50 times.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    IDK, when I sold out because I knew I was moving back here, I sold everything in less than a week... Guns, accessories, bullets, ammo cans, reloading equip. I must have done something wrong

I did not make a fortune over the price I paid, but i can say I did not lose out either.
    I notice stuff that is priced competitively moves fast on here. When people price used stuff at new prices or even higher, it sits.

(Jefferson County)

I don't think there is a means to automatically limit the number of times an ad can be bumped.

I think it'd be easier to set a duration period within vBulletin than come up with code to limit bumps. Which in a way would limit the number of times with the applied 3day bump rule. Unfortunately, that setting may also spill over to the rest of the site. ...some setting are global.

However, we do have some folks who do have some very active threads that they maintain rather well. They are continuously adding/removing items as they find/sell.

I know that the classifieds is pretty much edritchey's baby, but a couple times a year I do go in there and purge anything that is 6-8 months old from the last bump. ...which reminds me that it is about time to do it again.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    How feasible is this? Would the forum have to buy software to keep track of who is posting what how many times? Would the system easily integrate with the current forum software? Would it mean more work for the mods to keep track of this type of thing. I ask because it sounds good, but this site is not exactly quick on updating things or integrating new software. ("cough" Tapatalk "cough")

Looking at the Classifieds I see what you mean though. If someone hasn't bought your vhs tape after the 50th bump, there's a reason why. The most feasible option might be to limit the number of bumps, but even that would put more on the plate of the mods. Let's say you limit the bumps to 10, with the stipulation that if you repost the item after 10 times you receive an infraction with a possible ban if done to much. Then the mods have more to worry about and more work to do to keep track of this.

I suspect that the reason nothing has been done about this before is it is not an easy thing to implement. Any solution would have to be one that is easy to implement and not labor intensive on the mods.
    *cough* front page of pafoa.org *cough*

Attached Images Attached Images
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

I hate that we always resort to making rules because of annoying but otherwise harmless behavior like seeing the same overpriced item bumped for the 100th time.

How about we just open the ad for comments after the 10th bump. Then people can just unload on the OP with witty comments on their lack of common sense. It would also make the classifieds fun to read.
    You trying to create competition for the Joke thread?
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

I've probably purchased 90% of my firearms from the classifieds here and some were in ads that had been bumped quite a few times. It just happened that the items were either not a high-interest item and nobody was interested until I happened upon it, or the ad had multiple items and no photos and I just happened to see something I wanted by chance - likely the item was overlooked by others because of the piss-poor advertising by the seller.

I really have no issue with how things are.

I don't really understand the concept that an ad that was bumped is somehow "clutter".
    If you could only post an ad ONCE there would still be "clutter" because there is a steady stream of ads being posted.

Gotta go. I sold an item a week ago and forgot to close it.
    I'm going to bump it to post that it has been sold.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    You trying to create competition for the Joke thread?
    it would be like a Don Rickles Joke thread

(Bucks County)

Definitely the best idea yet!

(Bucks County)

And besides, I’ve been on the fence for years about buying them VHS tapes so maybe a few hundred more bumps will get me motived to act.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast