Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Limit number of bumps for ads?

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    Not sure the fee is appropriate. However, you can see the worst offenders have fewer than 10 legitimate posts. How about you can't post in that section without X posts? How about a thread in that section is limited to X posts (bumps)? There has to be a better way. Some days I have to wade through 10 pages of new posts only to find that there are really only ten topics, the rest are bumped ads from 1985. How about (this is something I've been thinking about a long time) when you click on New Posts you can have a setting to see topics in the for sale sections or not? If I could ignore every post in that section, I could care less how many bumps they make for SOF magazines from the 80's.

I do love that gantry crane one. One day, someone will need a gantry crane, I can smell it.
    The problem with a waiting period and minimum posts, is that cheap bastards will meet the post requirement by diluting threads with "me too" or "I always wondered" posts.

A buck is nothing these days, a fraction of the cost of mailing anything except a letter; but it adds up when you post 50 items and bump each of them 30 times. It would winnow out the worst of the parasitic advertisers.

We could also have a separate "free stuff" section, and abuse of that would be obvious ("free ammo, you pay $50 shipping".)
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The problem with a waiting period and minimum posts, is that cheap bastards will meet the post requirement by diluting threads with "me too" or "I always wondered" posts.

A buck is nothing these days, a fraction of the cost of mailing anything except a letter; but it adds up when you post 50 items and bump each of them 30 times. It would winnow out the worst of the parasitic advertisers.

We could also have a separate "free stuff" section, and abuse of that would be obvious ("free ammo, you pay $50 shipping".)
    Agreed. Me too

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post

How feasible is this? Would the forum have to buy software to keep track of who is posting what how many times? Would the system easily integrate with the current forum software? Would it mean more work for the mods to keep track of this type of thing. I ask because it sounds good, but this site is not exactly quick on updating things or integrating new software. ("cough" Tapatalk "cough")

Looking at the Classifieds I see what you mean though. If someone hasn't bought your vhs tape after the 50th bump, there's a reason why. The most feasible option might be to limit the number of bumps, but even that would put more on the plate of the mods. Let's say you limit the bumps to 10, with the stipulation that if you repost the item after 10 times you receive an infraction with a possible ban if done to much. Then the mods have more to worry about and more work to do to keep track of this.

I suspect that the reason nothing has been done about this before is it is not an easy thing to implement. Any solution would have to be one that is easy to implement and not labor intensive on the mods.

(Westmoreland County)

How about it goes according to a Forum Subscription that you do or don't have

Have it limited for a free account

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

If your trash doesn't sell in a few weeks, its more than likely because it belongs in the garbage and not in a for-sale section in a gun forum.
    LorDiego01 has a point, but actually if one's items don't readily sell here it could be a simple function of one of two reasons:

1) The asking price is way too high. Just because you overpaid doesn't mean the next buyer should be expected to overpay. Also, don't expect the next purchaser to pay for used items what you paid for them when new. Example: You aren't going to sell the AR you bought in Jan or Feb 2013 for the $1200 - $1400 you paid for it.

2) No one is interested in purchasing your item(s) at this time. As of Fall 2014, it is unrealistic to expect many buyers are looking to purchase an AR at almost any price; the market is flooded with ARs, and extremely cheap AR receivers.

Finally, in an open message to those Classified posters with six or more 3-day bumps -- You might consider adjusting the price downward if you aren't getting any interest. There's a message in the fact that your PM box isn't flooded with inquiries, and keep in mind that one definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over (bumping the same ad at the same price) and expect different results (the item to actually sell). If you aren't getting any interest, time to move it to an auction venue.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

GL, I see your point. But just to pick a little nit, I've been selling stuff on Ebay for years and have not paid an insert fee for a looong time. They now give you so many free insertions per month and sometimes have other "free insert" periods.

Of course there still is that pesky final value fee and the PayPal fees.

(Lancaster County)

Can't the forum software be set to auto-close threads that are beyond a certain age? If so, make it something reasonable, 45 days should be more than enough time to hawk your wares.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

IDK, when I sold out because I knew I was moving back here, I sold everything in less than a week... Guns, accessories, bullets, ammo cans, reloading equip. I must have done something wrong

I did not make a fortune over the price I paid, but i can say I did not lose out either.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can't the forum software be set to auto-close threads that are beyond a certain age? If so, make it something reasonable, 45 days should be more than enough time to hawk your wares.
    Did you mention my wares? I didn't know I had any.
    Toujours prêt

(Montgomery County)

I hate that we always resort to making rules because of annoying but otherwise harmless behavior like seeing the same overpriced item bumped for the 100th time.

How about we just open the ad for comments after the 10th bump. Then people can just unload on the OP with witty comments on their lack of common sense. It would also make the classifieds fun to read.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast