Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Pennsylvania Cops Sued for Storming Home and Arresting Woman for Video Recording

Borough of Collingdale, Delaware County.

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...deo-recording/

The lawsuit itself, linked, says it all. Oh, they'll probably settle, without admitting any fault, and the so-called law enforcement officers will get a slap on the wrist. Meanwhile, the insurance carrier will pay the bill and the residents will see their taxes go up to pay in increased insurance premiums for the borough's umbrella policy.

With any luck, maybe the so-called law enforcement officers will get hit with punitive damages. We can only dream.

Default Re: Pennsylvania Cops Sued for Storming Home and Arresting Woman for Video Recording

WOW those cops went full retard!

People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

Default Re: Pennsylvania Cops Sued for Storming Home and Arresting Woman for Video Recording

The officers themselves need to have professional insurance, and take the lawsuit themselves rather than the municipality. It's ridiculous that this will end exactly as mentioned, that I will end up paying for this guy's misconduct and he will continue to collect the golden pension with no penalty. Not knowing the law as a law enforcement officer should be a fireable offense. When I was an advisor, if I made illegal trades I couldn't just skate away saying that I didn't know. A professional is expected to know the rules of his profession. If he doesn't, there needs to be professional penalties.

Also, the guy in the video said *esculade*.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    Is that the base vehicle for 'a ambalance'?

I almost said it's hard to believe that cops are this stupid.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Delaware County)

A news report including some of the original video...

(Bucks County)

The officers themselves need to have professional insurance, and take the lawsuit themselves rather than the municipality. .
    You know, that is a GREAT idea! I'd even go so far as to say let the township pay the premium on each officer's policy until the first time he/she gets sued. From then on, seeing as how they can't control themselves and act like decent human beings instead of jack-booted thugs, let the officer pay the full premium, and let the insurance company charge whatever they want. You know, maybe put them into an 'assigned risk' category like we do with drivers that prove they can't drive worth a damn.

I can't see how any cop would be against such a plan either. Up until they break the law, this plan costs them nothing. Get out of line and pay the consequences!

(Allegheny County)

The officers themselves need to have professional insurance, and take the lawsuit themselves rather than the municipality. It's ridiculous that this will end exactly as mentioned, that I will end up paying for this guy's misconduct and he will continue to collect the golden pension with no penalty. Not knowing the law as a law enforcement officer should be a fireable offense. When I was an advisor, if I made illegal trades I couldn't just skate away saying that I didn't know. A professional is expected to know the rules of his profession. If he doesn't, there needs to be professional penalties.

How do you make the determination who's "fault" it is that the officer made such a mistake? If it's shown that he was trained properly so be it.... but what responsibility does the municipality have for the proper training and supervision of its officers? With such massive responsibility to protect the civil rights of the populace comes massive responsibility to make sure your employees are properly trained with the legal knowledge needed to protect those rights.

Too many departments could give a rat's ass about education and training beyond the 16 hours provided by MPOETC each year.

(Bucks County)

Not trying to be a smartass here, but when I want to advance in my career, I seek out and obtain training. When I want a pay raise, I seek out and obtain training. When I encounter something that I am unsure of, I seek out and obtain training.

I work in CLOSE proximity to liquid hydrogen, and liquid oxygen, both of which are EXTREMELY dangerous and unstable. I also work around high pressure Carbon Monoxide, highly explosive and flammable and not ne of these are visible in gaseous states. Far more people die or are horribly maimed in my chosen profession than in the relative safety of SUBURBAN police work.

So, why is it that I have to pay for ALL my training, and cops think I should also pay for theirs? AND full benefits, and a FULL PENSION, which no civilian job offers anymore? Well, you might find .002% of civilian jobs still offer it to people coming in, but for the VAST MAJORITY, it is a relic of days gone by.

No offense, but the local PD decided to send each officer to Seattle for Bicycle Training! $6500/per not including motels, food and party money! EVERY damned one of them FAILED the 'practical' portion of the test. What is 'practical'? Ride a bike!

Can you begin to understand why we don't want to pay out our hard-earned money to train people who are obviously not paying attention? Seriously, you know you cannot stop me from videotaping you, correct? So, why would a cop in suburban Philthadelphia NOT know that? What possible excuse could a cop in Pennsylvania, anywhere in the state, have for telling people they cannot OC a firearm? Not today, but five years ago, when they were being told, REPEATEDLY that the right exists to OC!

The attitude of, "Well, we weren't trained properly" just does not hold water!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Not trying to be a smartass here, but when I want to advance in my career, I seek out and obtain training. When I want a pay raise, I seek out and obtain training. When I encounter something that I am unsure of, I seek out and obtain training.

I work in CLOSE proximity to liquid hydrogen, and liquid oxygen, both of which are EXTREMELY dangerous and unstable. I also work around high pressure Carbon Monoxide, highly explosive and flammable and not ne of these are visible in gaseous states. Far more people die or are horribly maimed in my chosen profession than in the relative safety of SUBURBAN police work.

So, why is it that I have to pay for ALL my training, and cops think I should also pay for theirs? AND full benefits, and a FULL PENSION, which no civilian job offers anymore? Well, you might find .002% of civilian jobs still offer it to people coming in, but for the VAST MAJORITY, it is a relic of days gone by.

No offense, but the local PD decided to send each officer to Seattle for Bicycle Training! $6500/per not including motels, food and party money! EVERY damned one of them FAILED the 'practical' portion of the test. What is 'practical'? Ride a bike!

Can you begin to understand why we don't want to pay out our hard-earned money to train people who are obviously not paying attention? Seriously, you know you cannot stop me from videotaping you, correct? So, why would a cop in suburban Philthadelphia NOT know that? What possible excuse could a cop in Pennsylvania, anywhere in the state, have for telling people they cannot OC a firearm? Not today, but five years ago, when they were being told, REPEATEDLY that the right exists to OC!

The attitude of, "Well, we weren't trained properly" just does not hold water!
    That's the point.... you have to ask why. You have to uncover what the problem really is. Take the OC issue... why did it take so long to "get the word out"? It was a training and supervision issue.

As for the training itself... at my department for instance.. you can ask to go to training classes. You can not choose to go to outside training yourself. That would be a policy violation and subject to disciplinary action.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast