Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default New to PA, a little confused on open carry here

Just moved to York County from Virginia last week, and I have a Virginia resident concealed handgun permit, and also a Utah non-resident permit. While looking through the laws for PA, I see that a LTCF is required to open carry while in a vehicle here. My question/confusion is, that my plan while waiting for my PA LTCF to be issued was to just open carry (concealed is my preference). Due to the law requiring a LTCF while in a vehicle, how exactly does one go about open carrying and being able to drive somewhere without a LTCF? Do you put the gun in the trunk in "transport mode" till you get to where you're driving and then have to load/un-load every time you move? If doing that does just being in the vehicle even when its parked fall under this law? I appreciate any help figuring this out, thanks
    Last edited by cham09; September 26th, 2014 at 03:55 PM.

Default Re: New to PA, a little confused on open carry here

Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    Just moved to York County from Virginia last week, and I have a Virginia resident concealed handgun permit, and also a Utah non-resident permit. While looking through the laws for PA, I see that a LTCF is required to open carry while in a vehicle here. My question/confusion is, that my plan while waiting for my PA LTCF to be issued was to just open carry (concealed is my preference). Due to the law requiring a LTCF while in a vehicle, how exactly does one go about open carrying and being able to drive somewhere without a LTCF? Do you put the gun in the trunk in "transport mode" till you get to where you're driving and then have to load/un-load every time you move? If doing that does just being in the vehicle even when its parked fall under this law? I appreciate any help figuring this out, thanks
    Im pretty sure that as long as you have a license from a state recognized by PA you are good to go.

I'm sure someone will chime in soon to clarify.
    "Glocks are 5 times as addictive as crack"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post
    Im pretty sure that as long as you have a license from a state recognized by PA you are good to go.

I dont know if either of my permits help me here, I assumed that since I've moved out of Virginia and my permit is a resident permit it's no longer valid for me to use here in PA, and also my Utah permit is non-resident, which isnt good here in PA I believe PA only accepts Utah resident permits

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post

Unfortunately for the OP, as a PA resident he is no longer considered a 'person' eligible to carry in a car on a non-resident permit/license.

I'd love to be wrong...

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    There is no provision for using any vehicle to open carry in Pa. Get your permit before you carry. The only way you can carry, even in your trunk, is transporting firearm directly to or from FFL, hunting, range. Strict interpretation of the law, you can't even stop to take a crap on the way to or from. Good reason to get your permit.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Unfortunately for the OP, as a PA resident he is no longer considered a 'person' eligible to carry in a car on a non-resident permit/license.

I'd love to be wrong...
    Unfortunately, I think you are correct. I believe PA only recognizes Utah resident permits now since Kane screwed it up.

(York County)

I'm sure you're a busy guy, aren't we all? But to put things in perspective, you can get your PA Driver's License and apply for your PA LTCF in one day. The York County Sheriff is pretty quick about returning your application.

You can mail it in, but I was in the neighborhood and dropped it off on a Friday afternoon. The letter instructing me to come in and pick up my LTCF arrived the following Monday. No training, no fingerprinting, no "weeks of delays".

Here is the statute regarding transporting your loaded firearm and then open carrying when you get to your location. It doesn't go into a lot of detail. I'd love to tell you you're in the clear, but considering how quickly you can get everything you need here in York, I think the PA LTCF is the better route...

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(a) Offense defined.-- (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree. (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

<snip>

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    Good luck! Welcome to PA and PAFOA!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'm sure you're a busy guy, aren't we all? But to put things in perspective, you can get your PA Driver's License and apply for your PA LTCF in one day. The York County Sheriff is pretty quick about returning your application.

You can mail it in, but I was in the neighborhood and dropped it off on a Friday afternoon. The letter instructing me to come in and pick up my LTCF arrived the following Monday. No training, no fingerprinting, no "weeks of delays".

Here is the statute regarding transporting your loaded firearm and then open carrying when you get to your location. It doesn't go into a lot of detail. I'd love to tell you you're in the clear, but considering how quickly you can get everything you need here in York, I think the PA LTCF is the better route...

Good luck! Welcome to PA and PAFOA!
    Thanks, good to know York gets their permits done quickly. I'll be getting my PA DL and submitting the LTCF application ASAP.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Camoclad5.56 View Post
    Unfortunately, I think you are correct. I believe PA only recognizes Utah resident permits now since Kane screwed it up.

This is for reciprocity only, such as concealed carry, or any kind of carry in Philadelphia. EDIT: OR for carry during a Declared State of Emergency.

Transport of a loaded firearm, as I quoted from the statues above, is written into the statutes by the PA Legislature, and Kane has no authority to change or alter it. As long as the issuing state still considers the license valid after his move, he's good to go. He should check with Virginia, but I know his Utah is valid even without his PA LTCF due to a recent ruling.

He will need to stay away from Philly and , to be prudent, outside of the federal 1000' Gun Free School Zones.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; September 26th, 2014 at 06:07 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    There is no provision for using any vehicle to open carry in Pa. Get your permit before you carry. The only way you can carry, even in your trunk, is transporting firearm directly to or from FFL, hunting, range. Strict interpretation of the law, you can't even stop to take a crap on the way to or from. Good reason to get your permit.

You have been misinformed. Read post #7.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast