Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Claiming spots on gamelands

I was scouting at a State gameland yesterday. I came across 2 trees about 350 yard apart with orange duck tape on them. 1 said "Tom's spot, do not use" and the other said "Rogers hunting spot"
    Now this gameland is VERY thick with brush and a decent archery spot isnt the easiest to find. I always thought unless you are on private land or someone's property, whoever is there earliest chooses his spot. Would I be wrong if I took this guy's spot if I am there before him? They honestly picked the nicest spots in the area.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Claiming spots on gamelands

Well, It's public land. So, if you get there first it's your spot. However, that doesn't me the guy who's name on the tag show's up an hour later and start's giving you a hard time about his name on a tag and he's being an asshole about the whole thing. Then his buddy comes over and begins to harass you about it and finally the guy sets up his climber tree stand ten feet away.

So, like I say...you can get there first. You can climb up a tree with your climber....but you can also expect anything from respect, to out right idiots. It's hard to say. But judging from the fact that they have "peed on the tree" already...I doubt your dealing with "nice folk" who have any sense of fair play.

I would go back and re-scout and attempt to pick out a heavily traveled run between a bedding area and a feeding area. Get in earlier than them and hope they push a nice one right to you.

(Cumberland County)

Are they going to be there 7 excuse me 6 days a week sun up to sun down? That is the BS of this you both could probably use the spot.

(Mercer County)

I was even thinking about taking down the tape. It says on the rules board before entering that things like this is not allowed. So I feel it wouldnt be completely wrong of me if I did so and if they came to get their spots, I can say "What are you talking about? There are no markings anywhere around me"

i am new to game land hunting so I didnt if this was a common practice and if people look down on others if they "take their spot"

Seems kinda ridiculous to me. Its public lands that I pay taxes for. Deer season is very long and I have no idea when they will be there and when they wont. When does the duct tape expire or is it now forever tom and rogers hunting spot?

(Susquehanna County)

Take the tape off, or give the coordinates to the game commission. Chances are they'll check on the first day or archery and fine those two idiots for littering on the game lands.

Like you said its public land, first come first served.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Westmoreland County)

The other thing you could do is simply call the Game Commission regional office that serves the area where the game land is that you are going to hunt, http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=562928&mode=2 and tell them what is going on and give them the area (give them the GPS co-ordinates if you have them) and that may be helpful. I'm not saying they will do anything, but it never hurts to ask.

I'm with you. This "save my spot" stuff is 7th grade B-S. But then, with some....killing a buck is the most important thing in their life. They measure their annual manhood by it. Sad little people are they.

Dave

(Lancaster County)

I went scouting through and every tree I saw was marked with Jose's spot.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Those idiots! Don't they know they're supposed to mark their spots with lawn chairs like when you save a shoveled out parking space in the snow?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Those idiots! Don't they know they're supposed to mark their spots with lawn chairs like when you save a shoveled out parking space in the snow?
    And I though HG was gonna say the infamous South-Western Pa. "Parade Spot". But...since I moved outta the city and have my own driveway and internal garage, I don't even own folding lawn chairs anymore. Oh....see....get all uppity and how soon we forget!!!

The other thing Wakefield could do is slip a few $$$ to HG, and he could....maybe hunt that same spot on opening day. Like with his new baseball bat? Now wait....it's not the 1950's anymore. No..no...can't do that today!!!

(Bucks County)

Take the tape down and throw it away. Go hunt there and if they say anything just say wait, you actually tried to save a tree?!

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast