Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Cop tried to pull my gun out of the car

I was on my way to work at 2:45 this morning and had a cop following me. I went wide on a turn because of potholes and they followed me all the way to work, pulled in behind me, and threw their lights on.

Male officer came up to my window and told me I was being recorded. I asked what I did and he said I ran off the road. I told him because the road is crappy. He asked for my license and registration. As I got my registration out he saw my handgun in my glove compartment. He stated that he saw my gun and I said OK.

About that time a female officer came up to my passenger side door and asked if it was unlocked and I replied no. She asked if I could unlock it and I did.Female officer started to reach for my gun. The rest is the conversation to the best of my recollection.

Female Officer: Do you have a permit to carry?
    Me: Yes (and I gave it to the Male officer)
    Me: Excuse me what are you doing?
    Female officer: Something to the effect of " I'm emptying the gun."
    Me: Please don't touch that gun.
    FO: I just want to unload it.
    Me: I do not consent to any search or seizures.
    FO: This isint a search or seizure.
    Me: Do not touch that gun.
    FO: I don't feel comfortable with a loaded gun in here with you.
    Me: Well you cant touch it.
    FO: Then I need you to step out of the car.

I did and the Male officer checked me for other weapons and took my pocket knife. They then told me to go to the back of my car and wait. As the FO went back to her car she told me I could be pissed all I wanted but she was just trying to do her job.

After ten minutes they both got out and gave me a written warning and all my stuff back.

FO: You have to see it from our point of view. Two cops were just shot when some guy ambushed them.
    Me: That's sucks but you have to see it from my point of view. That's my gun and I don't just want people grabbing it.
    MO: I can respect that. Just out of curiosity what kind of gun is it. I told him.
    FO: Im a Pennsylvania state policeman. (I guess meaning that she could be trusted with my gun.)
    Me: That's fine but I don't know you and you know as well as I do that there are bad cops out there and one bad apple spoils the whole barrel.

After a few more comments they left and she was driving and squealed tires on the way out. I guess she didn't like citizens who know their rights.

So after all that, what do you guys think? Did I do ok? What could I have done differently?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Cop tried to pull my gun out of the car

Don't you understand? Two cops were just shot, that means that everyone with a gun is suspect.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Beaver County)

It's easy for us all to be keyboard commando's and I'm sure you'll get a flaming for some of the things you did or didn't do, which is unfortunate...

If it were me, I wouldn't have unlocked the door. If the officer I was directly interacting with requested me to step out of the vehicle, I would have done so, taking my keys with me and locking my car when I got out. I would not allow any officer any access to my vehicle without a warrant.

That's all I can think of. Other than that, I don't think you did bad. One thing to keep in mind is that if road conditions are poor like you stated, if you were to ever receive a citation for "going off the road," it should be a pretty easy fight if you take some quick photos of the poor roadway and explain to the judge that you weren't impeding any other drivers and were trying to avoid a road hazard.
    Obligatory IANAL!

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    (By the power of truth, I while living have conquered the universe)

(Bucks County)

Let me see if I've got this right:

1 Officer doesn't want you in a car with a loaded firearm.
    2 Officer has you get out of the car
    3 Officer removes knife.
    4 Officer says to get back in the car with a loaded firearm.

Huh?

WTF?

(Montgomery County)

First off, keep your driving papers in a separate location than your firearm in a vehicle. You don't want to be seen reaching in a compartment with a gun in it... just a terrible idea all around.

I would not have unlocked the door. Also as someone mentioned, taking your keys and locking the car behind you when asked to step out is a good call. Other than that it didn't turn out too badly. Of course she would think she's a firearm expert because she has a badge (and she might very well be) but yea I don't want anyone handling my property, especially a loaded firearm.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    It's easy for us all to be keyboard commando's and I'm sure you'll get a flaming for some of the things you did or didn't do, which is unfortunate...

If it were me, I wouldn't have unlocked the door. If the officer I was directly interacting with requested me to step out of the vehicle, I would have done so, taking my keys with me and locking my car when I got out. I would not allow any officer any access to my vehicle without a warrant.

That's all I can think of. Other than that, I don't think you did bad. One thing to keep in mind is that if road conditions are poor like you stated, if you were to ever receive a citation for "going off the road," it should be a pretty easy fight if you take some quick photos of the poor roadway and explain to the judge that you weren't impeding any other drivers and were trying to avoid a road hazard.
    Cops no longer need a warrant to search your vehicle in Pa thanks to our wonderful Pa Supreme Court. All they need is probable cause which could be as simple as "I think I smell weed in your vehicle"

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    First off, keep your driving papers in a separate location than your firearm in a vehicle. You don't want to be seen reaching in a compartment with a gun in it... just a terrible idea all around.

I would not have unlocked the door. Also as someone mentioned, taking your keys and locking the car behind you when asked to step out is a good call. Other than that it didn't turn out too badly. Of course she would think she's a firearm expert because she has a badge (and she might very well be) but yea I don't want anyone handling my property, especially a loaded firearm.
    I'll double up on this one. I don't understand why people put DL & owners card in the glove box. If your car is stolen you've given the thief the paperwork.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by RainingLead View Post
    So after all that, what do you guys think? Did I do ok? What could I have done differently?
    I think you did what you had to do. If you had resisted I'm sure it would've gotten much worse. None of what happened was your fault, you shouldn't have to hide a gun, you shouldn't have to even talk about it because it wasn't part of the stop, it was as irrelevant as a pair of shoes, once they find out you have a valid LTCF, you have as much right to have that gun as they do.

keep your papers separate, and don't talk to police. If they ask questions, don't answer them except with "I don't answer questions". Keep your doors locked. Follow any orders (not questions), if you are told to get out take your keys and lock your doors behind you.

In short, treat them like the road pirates they are.

(Mercer County)

I'm not big on informing the police, but if for some reason I carried a gun in my glove box with my papers, I would tell them. I don't though, so I don't have to worry about that.

Good job.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast