Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Action alert House bill 1243 Tuesday vote

Corrected notice received from the NRA-ILA.

Today, an attempt will be made to amend critical firearms preemption language into House Bill 1243 on the Pennsylvania House floor. The amendment, filed by state Representative Mark Keller (R-86), would strengthen and provide consistency in Pennsylvania’s firearm and ammunition laws throughout the state. To date, nearly fifty municipalities have enacted illegal local gun control ordinances including Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Lancaster, Reading and the state capital of Harrisburg. Enough is enough.

Anti-gun state lawmakers in Harrisburg are still attempting to kill or stall this crucial legislation by offering several anti-gun amendments to HB 1243, including an amendment by Representative Steven Santarsiero (D-31) which would mandate so-called “universal” background checks on ALL firearms purchases, including rifles and shotguns. Currently, only handgun purchases fall under this state requirement.

“Universal” background checks don’t work, and will never be truly universal because criminals, by definition, violate the law and obtain firearms illegally. Such an amendment would do nothing to address violent crime and would only impact law-abiding shooters and sportsmen. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, “universal” background checks will not work without implementing a gun owner registration system.

Your help is needed to ensure that firearms preemption is amended into HB 1243, without the inclusion of any anti-gun amendments. It is critical that you contact your state Representative IMMEDIATELY and urge him or her to support the Keller amendment to HB 1243 and reject any amendments mandating so-called “universal” background checks
    Last edited by Venturerider; September 23rd, 2014 at 12:17 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Action alert House bill 1243 Tuesday vote

Yeah well, I'm not getting the support for Santisareo's input. He is on the Ceasefire payroll so when someone tells me we need to support something this man puts up my radar is giving me the bleeps.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lancaster County)

Yes the NRA screwed that up on that one. The message is we oppose the amendments by Santarsiero And Gainey. There are several other amendments that we support.
    Last edited by LBaker; September 23rd, 2014 at 06:14 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Here is the bottom line. The powers that be decided that our best chance of making this happen by the end of this session was to take this approach. Remember that we need to get through the senate yet. We need to reach out to members to oppose the Santarsiero universal background check amendment. Yes to HB 1243 and no to the universal background check amendment.

I'm going to be there again today. If anyone wants to join me reach out here and I'll provide contact info.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    Here is the bottom line. The powers that be decided that our best chance of making this happen by the end of this session was to take this approach. Remember that we need to get through the senate yet. We need to reach out to members to oppose the Santarsiero universal background check amendment. Yes to HB 1243 and no to the universal background check amendment.

I'm going to be there again today. If anyone wants to join me reach out here and I'll provide contact info.
    Has the HB 2011 preemption language been amended to HB 1243? It's not quite clear to me. If so, who's amendment is it? We have to be very careful and specific when we call to make sure we're not logged as support for the other side.

I can't make Harrisburg today, but please call if there's anything I can do to help (beside the normal calls etc).
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Wayne County)

So we need to support the bill but remove the Universal background check? I think I got it.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    So we need to support the bill but remove the Universal background check? I think I got it.
    Yes, there are some amendments by Rep. Gainey that we oppose but that isn't as critical to the message. That should be taken care of in caucus today.

Yes to HB1243 and no to Rep. Santarsiero universal background check amendment!

BTW, the NRA alert will be corrected and resent...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    Has the HB 2011 preemption language been amended to HB 1243? It's not quite clear to me. If so, who's amendment is it? We have to be very careful and specific when we call to make sure we're not logged as support for the other side.

I can't make Harrisburg today, but please call if there's anything I can do to help (beside the normal calls etc).

Yes Al, the original sponsor of HB2011 amended it to HB1243. There's more in play but this is our best hope of getting through the senate with such little time. Thanks for coming yesterday!

Say yes to HB1243 and no to Santrsiero universal background checks!

Yes, there are some amendments by Rep. Gainey that we oppose but that isn't as critical to the message. That should be taken care of in caucus today.

Yes to HB1243 and no to Rep. Santarsiero universal background check amendment!

BTW, the NRA alert will be corrected and resent...
    I hope it gets fixed soon so we don't have people calling in to support the wrong amendments. Huge blunder by the NRA.

EDIT: looks like AGOA (whoever they are) is also getting on the misinformation campaign, probably by accident as well: https://m.facebook.com/AmericanGunOwnersAlliance . They need to be informed of the update so they don't mislead whoever follows them. I also question the organization's authenticity since a member of theirs was posting on this forum to support the Senate version of HB2011, which has anti-gun language in it.
    Last edited by DreadPirateMoyer; September 23rd, 2014 at 08:06 AM.
    Slaves don't own arms; free men do.

(Allegheny County)

From FOAC action alert
    IF you are not getting these maybe you should sign up

https://foac-pac.org/Action-Alerts/11

Strengthening PA Preemption Law on Deck for Vote TOMORROW in House

Date: 09/22/2014

Please help us push 'much needed changes' to statewide firearm law preemption over the top by contacting 'your' legislator and ALL PA legislators.

Tomorrow (the 23rd), on the floor of the PA House, a pro-gun amendment [A07845-Rep. Keller] will be offered to HB 1243 containing the language from HB 2011 that anti-gun groups are deathly afraid of. There are several other worthy pro-gun amendments to also support and are listed below by groups (Support v. Oppose):

[Support these] Pro-gun amendments: A06276 - A06283 - A06439 - A07037 - A07556 - A07845

[Oppose ALL of these] Anti-gun amendments: A06142 - A06284 - A09264 - A09265 - A09266

The attempt to amend HB 1243 is, admittedly, a last attempt to finally move long overdue legislation that would put teeth into PA preemption law and allow us to challenge local laws. To date, dozens upon dozens of PA boroughs, townships and counties have enacted, or continue to maintain, illegal local gun control ordinances including Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, City of Erie, Lancaster, Reading and the state capital of Harrisburg as well as Allegheny County, Philadelphia County, etc. It is time to end these flagrant violations of law before more gun owners are victimized!

Anti-gun state lawmakers in Harrisburg are dancing like marionettes at the beck and call of CeaseFire PA and attempting to kill or stall this crucial legislation. The anti-gun amendment [A06142], filed by state Representative Steven Santarsiero (D-31), would end the private sales of long guns [rifles and shotguns] and put in place the mechanism to register ALL firearms in this state. Even the U.S. Department of Justice, stated that "universal" background checks will not work without implementing a gun owner registration system. In fact, the use of both rifles and shotguns in crime has fallen by 50% despite the most recent (blatant) lies, on Tuesday the 16th, of CeaseFire PA in the Capitol Rotunda.

We all know that criminals, by definition, violate the law and obtain firearms illegally. Anti-gun groups are actually encouraging PA communities to violate PA law by supporting local gun laws and opposing pre-emption reform AND attempting to grow government scrutiny of the firearms law-abiding citizens own based on lies!

PLEASE help to ensure that firearms preemption [A07845 and the other pro-gun amendments] is amended into HB 1243, without any anti-gun amendments. It is critical that you contact your state Representative TODAY and urge him or her to support the Keller, Stephens, Saccone and Grove amendments to HB 1243 and reject any amendments mandating so-called "universal" background checks. For contact information or help identifying your state lawmakers, click here.

**You can E-Mail ALL members of the PA House and Senate through your 'new' member control panel feature. All you have to do is copy and paste all of the addresses into your e-mail message address area! (This feature will only be on for the duration of this alert!)

http://www.foac-pac.org/And-Then-The...News-Item/1298

With the short time left in this session this is a Hail Mary pass at best as it still has to get pass the senate

FYI with the prime sponsors amendment Stephens and Saccone's this REALLY will provide some much need to relief on mental health with those that got help to get better.

THANK Rep Stephens for his effort to work with us to improve this bill and to the numerous lawyers that provided their legal input & knowledge (at no charge) to the complex issue on mental health & firearm laws
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast