Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Stripped AR lowers private sale in PA

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    They had no barrels, so they are not handguns.
    Thanks. So I am totally safe selling through a private transaction despite the 113 being used for the initial purchase, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Thanks. So I am totally safe selling through a private transaction despite the 113 being used for the initial purchase, correct?
    I can't comment on your specific situation, but submitting a Record of Sale form doesn't turn an "other" into a handgun. Completing the frame as a handgun does that.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lawrence County)

I think a better question is why is the PSP still accepting these forms after almost 5 years? They should be informing the ffl's that they are not required and they will no longer accept them for stripped lowers or frames.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I can't comment on your specific situation, but submitting a Record of Sale form doesn't turn an "other" into a handgun. Completing the frame as a handgun does that.
    I like how you worded that, damn lawyers, lol.

(Delaware County)

So, I understand that if you purchase a virgin lower receiver in Pa it is legal to sell that lower receiver to another Pa resident without an FFL.

My question is, if I purchase said virgin receiver marked as "other" and proceed to build it into a rifle, does the rifle now have to be transferred via an FFL because I assembled it to a particular configuration or length?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorfist View Post
    So, I understand that if you purchase a virgin lower receiver in Pa it is legal to sell that lower receiver to another Pa resident without an FFL.

My question is, if I purchase said virgin receiver marked as "other" and proceed to build it into a rifle, does the rifle now have to be transferred via an FFL because I assembled it to a particular configuration or length?
    No. Because it was assembled into a rifle, it is not a "firearm" under PA law.

However, any interstate transfers would still require a FFL due to federal law.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

purchasing a stripped or complete lower requires a 4473 however no psp pistol paperwork, hence it isn't considered a pistol. So why would you not be able to do a private sale ?

(Delaware County)

Just to be clear. I understand that a lower requires a 4473, and that it also is not a pistol or rifle at that time. I think a majority of confusion is coming from peoples inability to answer a question without proposing unnecessary information. For instance, I asked a specific question pertaining to intrastate transactions, so to reiterate interstate transfer information is not only unnecessary but becomes confusing to readers.
    To answer your question Ranger, obviously i wasn't sure so i picked the brain of people with more knowledge then myself, but again i could understand if a transfer would be required due to liability issues and so on.
    Onto my conclusion, Ive purchased several stripped lowers and have built all different variations of lengths and purpose. I was considering selling one of the rifle configurations to a buddy, but was not %100 sure that this did not need a transfer as stands considering its not technically a long gun. So all in all my questions have been answered.

(York County)

I did a search and this was the most recent similar thread to my question.I'm pretty sure I found the answer in all the threads I read (Ok to sell without FFL), but thought it couldn't hurt to get an opinion or 2.

The only reason I'm second guessing the research I did is because the lowers I want to sell, were bought out of state in MD, which required me having an HQL (handgun qualification license) and the same paperwork submitted as a handgun, and a 8 day wait.

Maybe I'm still having a hard time adjusting since moving here, to the way things are actually supposed to be done here in America lol?

Can I sell stripped lowers bought out of state to a PA resident over 21 years old, private, without an FFL?
    Last edited by AJRB; December 31st, 2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: correction

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJRB View Post
    Can I sell stripped lowers bought out of state to a PA resident over 21 years old, private, without an FFL?
    I doesn't matter where it was bought. If you're selling it as a rifle lower, you don't need an FFL. If, however, you're selling it as a pistol lower, then you do need an FFL.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast