Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default DCF&S should welcome PSP practice.

I had the privilege of shaking the hand of a truly outstanding young man today at DCF&S. He was wearing a Pennsylvania State Trooper uniform and driving one of their vehicles.

I left work (that's another story) to get some iced coffee and needed gas also, so I went to Brookhaven WAWA and fulfilled my needs. Whenever I'm in the area, I swing through the gun club just to see who may be around.

After climbing the hill & approaching the main parking lot I see a PSP Ford Explorer parked in front and facing the clubhouse. Very strange at 2:45 on a Tuesday. The lot is basically empty with only four cars over at the pistol range. I pull in next to it and ditch my carry into the glove compartment.

I get out of my truck and see the Trooper walking towards my truck pointing at my license plate. I didn't have time to panic when he says,,, " I love your license plate". Turns out he's a 1911 guy, with a Springfield TRP,,,,,,, whoo hoo. He's a member of the club and was talking to Stacy.

The bottom line is that he wants to have some (4, maybe) membership ID's for the local (Lima) barracks to use in their off time. They have no place to practice on their own with the new Sig weapons. Many of his co-workers would like to spend some time shooting this NEW weapon and learn to handle it properly. Our club is perfectly positioned to allow them to swing by and shoot some before or after work.

We need to get the board to approve something to allow this to happen. Actually this should happen across the state.

Of course I directed him to this site so he could help UJ, SC and the officer from Philly (please excuse me as I can't remember your handle at this instant) and all you other good guys. I'm sure he'll be along in a few........
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: DCF&S should welcome PSP practice.

Why don't they just join and shoot there like everyone else?
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    Why don't they just join and shoot there like everyone else?
    Exactly. Why should private clubs subsidize either the state or the very well paid troopers?

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    I I pull in next to it and ditch my carry into the glove compartment.
    Why?
    Last edited by Grey Bearded One; September 26th, 2014 at 09:57 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

I make sure that my training is up to date and current on my own to ensure I can perform my job . why should they be any different. they can even write their range time off on their taxes so I dont see why thry need a hand out

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Why?
    Club rules,,,,,, No carry,,, open or concealed.

EDIT:"The bottom line is that he wants to have some (4, maybe) membership ID's for the local (Lima) barracks to use in their off time." They are willing to pay for them,,,,, but wants them for the barracks,,,,,, as in no name on them,,,, generic badges. He was not looking for a hand out and stated that. I was the one that didn't mention that in my OP. My bad.
    Last edited by thundrr1; September 26th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
    George,

(Lackawanna County)

I'm sure there are more than four troopers there. So not a handout but a nice cut rate

Club rules,,,,,, No carry,,, open or concealed.
    I guess that precludes practicing draw and shoot.

The bottom line is that he wants to have some (4, maybe) membership ID's for the local (Lima) barracks to use in their off time."[/B] They are willing to pay for them,,,,, but wants them for the barracks,,,,,, as in no name on them,,,, generic badges.
    It really is a handout. You'd have twenty or thirty guys who have access without paying for it. What's that say to all the members who pay their dues? Do you have a work hour requirement? How would that work? Let the cops buy memberships.

(Delaware County)

It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than having the Commonwealth build a range for them to become proficient with their new weapons. It would have to be indoor and have quite a ventilation system. Nevermind.....
    George,

It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than having the Commonwealth build . . .
    How about they just pay for memberships out of their own pockets like the unblessed masses do?

Ask how many troopers work out of the barracks and prorate the membership. Based on the website DCFSA membership is $135/yr. If there are 10 troopers who want 4 membership cards for the office they can each contribute $135 for a total of $1,350. Now divide that by 4 cards and each card costs $337.50

That way they pay the fair price and get the generic membership (no name) card they want.

I bet you lunch they won't take you up on the offer because their way has them each kicking in a few bucks as opposed to $135!

By the way, the trooper is in violation of numerous ethics regs, both state and PSP, by asking for any type of discount while in uniform. No matter how you look at it, this "truly outstanding young man" is looking for a price break that will benefit his entire office.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast