Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: DCF&S should welcome PSP practice.

There are several clubs that issue free membership to local Law Enforcement.

There are several ways to look at it. From what it sounds they are looking to use the range on their own time using a paid departments membership. I would far rather have them do this than close the range to the paying membership for the departments use. (I know of at least 3 ranges in the area that cater to LE departments while the paying member can't use the range)

(Delaware County)

DCF&S is crowded enough as is. 4 generic memberships shared by a barracks would result in much more range time and associated wear and tear than an individual membership would likely accrue. If the subject of generic PSP memberships came up for a vote, mine would be no.

(Montgomery County)

Even if not looking for a free handout, its still a handout since you'll have a lot more than 4 people shooting on 4 badges and they'll be able to shoot at every range there. Would they be allowed to shoot at the rimfire or archery ranges? Who is going to stop someone with a club badge on? I don't recall ever seeing ANY PSP using a rimfire or bow for work. I'd say no, let them be treated like everyone else, pay up individually and go through the tour. If they are really interested in shooting there, they will join.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Venango County)

Same type thing happened at our local range. The Troopers who lived in the area bought their own passes, but those who lived out of the area were permitted to pay $5 each time they used the range.
    It gave 'out of towners' a place to shoot. Most of the time, those guys are driving home on their off hours. Certain times tho', they'll stick around to shoot if they have a place to do it.
    Sort of like sharing a pass I suppose.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    By the way, the trooper is in violation of numerous ethics regs, both state and PSP, by asking for any type of discount while in uniform. No matter how you look at it, this "truly outstanding young man" is looking for a price break that will benefit his entire office.
    As I mentioned earlier,,,,,, he was not asking for a "discount".
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    As I mentioned earlier,,,,,, he was not asking for a "discount".
    And as I explained, any form of a group pass IS a discount. The way you explained it, they want a few $135 passes that MULTIPLE members can use. If he isn't looking for a discount have him fill out an app like everyone else. When it comes time for the membership secretary to fill out the pass they can request a generic title.

I'll take this one step further, what is to stop the "group pass" from being shared with their family members? Will you tolerate the trooper with the group pass who wants to bring his wife and three kids? Afterall, he didn't buy a family membership but his pass won't identify that.

I only bring this up because all of this has taken place at a local club I belonged to many years ago. Local departments, PSP, and PGC were given departmental passes. Within months some of the less than ethical officers were having family birthday parties in the pavilions, fishing, using the archery ranges, etc... It finally came to a halt when they mistook the club VP for a nobody and tried to tell him the pistol range was privately reserved for LE one Saturday morning.

I can also speak to this from the trooper's perspective. Earlier this year I researched a number of clubs near my installation that would be interested in allowing a small group of military personnel use of a pistol and rifle range for a day. Unbeknown to many, the use of a military range is basically impossible unless you are performing annual qualification. There is no such thing as taking your Mosin, 10/22, or AR to a mil range for recreational practice. Anyway, I finally found one location that was interested in hosting us. To sell the idea I had to reinforce to the board that we were more than willing to make a generous donation and even spend a few hours on range repairs with materials we would provide. The request was approved but still met with opposition because a private membership club is just that, private and for members only.
    Last edited by MT1; September 27th, 2014 at 02:29 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than having the Commonwealth build a range for them to become proficient with their new weapons. It would have to be indoor and have quite a ventilation system. Nevermind.....
    DCFS did at one time have something like you suggest. However the privileges were abused and the "blanket" passes were done away with.

To the best of my recollection, the new plan is a list of names that will use the pass has to be registered with the office, the folks on that list have to take orientation just like the general membership does, they can only shoot when the office is open, they must follow ALL club rules pertaining to being on the range, and the pass is kept in the club office.

(Delaware County)

Did the club vote to amend the bylaws to allow shared memberships for LE?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Did the club vote to amend the bylaws to allow shared memberships for LE?
    Don't know, I just remember what I posted about the situation from one of the meetings I was at a while back.

That said, I'd say yes, if it was a bylaw matter, as I know they've called special meetings pertaining to them from time to time.

(Delaware County)

Huh! Serves me right for not paying attention.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast