Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default How the stuff is this legal? Adapter to make arrows .38spl and .357 tipped?!?!

Came across this in my recent SG issue.

How is this possibly legal?!
    Emergency Medicine prevents natural selection

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: How the stuff is this legal? Adapter to make arrows .38spl and .357 tipped?!?!

Why not? Too dangerous to be trusted with?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: How the stuff is this legal? Adapter to make arrows .38spl and .357 tipped?!?!

I have to doubt the terminal energy the ad implies. I've seen video of pistol bullets cooking off and they perforate wallboard, but that's about it.

(Philadelphia County)

Maybe the OP is asking about the legality since the arrow tips are designed to fire cartridge ammunition, from what is essentially a "short barreled" firearm, but the short barreled firearm is not in the usual form of a pistol or other firearm.

My definition is not great, but the arrow points my need to be classified as an "Any Other Weapon".

From the ATF definition of an "Any Other Weapon"

"Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive;"

The above would possibly apply if the arrow tips were not attached to an arrow shaft.

The arrow heads could possibly be considered in the same class as cane guns, lighter guns, and pen guns , etc.

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/...y-other-weapon

Quote Originally Posted by NacMacFeegle View Post
    Maybe the OP is asking about the legality since the arrow tips are designed to fire cartridge ammunition, from what is essentially a "short barreled" firearm, but the short barreled firearm is not in the usual form of a pistol or other firearm.
    How did you determine a 'barrel' was involved?... I didn't see that in the ad. And I doubt the plastic holder is re-useable once a round has gone off.

Really not enough info at this point....
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Montgomery County)

It's certainly interesting, I believe ol' Wakefield made a thread on this same thing questioning it. I'd like to see some tests done for sure.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    How did you determine a 'barrel' was involved?... I didn't see that in the ad. And I doubt the plastic holder is re-useable once a round has gone off.

Really not enough info at this point....
    Even if the plastic holder is only capable of being used once, it may still be considered a barrel for legal purposes.

Because of the way it is designed to be mounted on the arrow shaft, the tip could also be readily adapted for use as a concealed firearm.

(Monroe County)

It just blows apart.

NFA aside I'd to hear what WCO's have to say about it being a legal tip.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

Exploding tips?

Pffftttt!!!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

I saw those too and thought they were pretty interesting and kinda pointless at the same time. Can't imagine it's legal to hunt with in PA.

If I had that caliber ammo I might think about it. I don't think they would hold up well to continued use.

Might be good for Darryl to use with his zombie crossbow when he didn't care about being quiet.
    Last edited by RockIsland; September 14th, 2014 at 08:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast