Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Suggestion on Bibs

Looking to replace my aging pair of bibs.

Last year I purchased a set of Cabelas dry plus in a Mossy oak pattern that matched my jacket. There was a defect in the manufacturing and I returned them to the store. At the time of the return they had no replacements in stock or online. I decided I would wait until the following year as it was the end of the season anyway.

Now it seems all they have is their own zonze pattern, or whatever you call it. I tried their large in the store last weekend and it was a tad tighter than I wanted (I blame the beer!) The extra large is just way too big and I felt like I was swimming in it. I wasn't happy with them and decided to pass on the purchase.

I'm looking for something that is water proof, insulated and with full length or at least hip length zippers. Something I can wear a base layer under in the late season or something I can wear in Nov/Dec w/o sweating too much.

I've been checking online but I'm not a huge fan of buying something I can't try on.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a pair they have had good luck with? I plan on keeping these for a number of years and don't mind spending money but would like to keep it under $250.00

Thanks,

Anthony

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Suggestion on Bibs

Carhart ....can beat the crap out of them, keeps you warm, dry and wind doesn't go through them ...basic color is tan ....maybe they come in camo, but always went with tan. Last pair was around $125 that was years ago.
    Always sorting 12 ga. once fired hulls ...Looking for something ...LMK

I'm facing a similar issue, probably won't do it this year. I'm done with that over priced "waterproof" crap that's only waterproof for a couple seasons. Currently I'm thinking using just bibs during the late season and going with wool. Yeah it's heavy, but is very water repellent and warm if wet. Same with boots. I need a new pair, but I'm not buying anymore gortex. I picked up another pair of muck boots and looking for a pair of lace up LL Bean type duck boots. Going old school again.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Wayne County)

Cabelas has the A.G.O. stuff on sale, 50% off. I'm going to get a set just for the price. Read the reviews, I did that right before Cabelas dump Kings camo and got a great set of camo cheap.

(Somerset County)

Take a ride over to Shydas at Lebanon. I've bought stuff from them over the years and have been quite satisfied. Good selection and better prices than Cabelas IMO.

Mostly I'm a wool guy too, so no real suggestion on what to buy. Carhart is warm and durable but pricey and noisy. Walls is similar but cheaper and has been doing the job (farming) for me.

Dale

I have two pairs of Carhart uninsulated bibs. One pair is close to 40 years old, but I just can't bring myself to throw them away, because they're still comfortable.

Carharts aren't waterproof, but they're rugged & hold together well.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Brandi_Pup View Post
    Carhart ....can beat the crap out of them, keeps you warm, dry and wind doesn't go through them ...basic color is tan ....maybe they come in camo, but always went with tan. Last pair was around $125 that was years ago.
    They cost WHAT???

I think I paid $30 something for my oldest pair & maybe $60 for my "newest." Yeah, it's been a while.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I'm facing a similar issue, probably won't do it this year. I'm done with that over priced "waterproof" crap that's only waterproof for a couple seasons. Currently I'm thinking using just bibs during the late season and going with wool. Yeah it's heavy, but is very water repellent and warm if wet. Same with boots. I need a new pair, but I'm not buying anymore gortex. I picked up another pair of muck boots and looking for a pair of lace up LL Bean type duck boots. Going old school again.
    Get the real ll bean boots. I'm on my second resoling of my oldest pair. Most comfortable boots I own. CS is great, too.

I called them a few years ago (Well, maybe more like 10) to see about getting mine resoled & cs said that if I thought they were defective, they'd replace them. I told them that I had worn them for years & I wore the soles just about through, so I just wanted to see where to send them to get resoled.

They kept trying to send me a new pair of boots for the "defective" ones. I finally relented & told them that I'd buy a new pair to wear, if they'd resole my old ones. They paid shipping both ways & my old pair came back as good as new, only better.
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had a carhart suit for the longest time. Was wonderful when working outside during the winter but for this particular use I think I'd rather not go with Carhart. I'd prefer not to look like a deer in the woods.

I have a Drake Waterfowl jacket that is absolutely wonderful. I was tempted to pick up a pair of their bibs in Mossy Oak shadow branch and use them for the woods but I'm not sure if they would hold up to all the walking. Thoughts?

http://www.drakewaterfowl.com/produc...lated-bibs-2.0

I was looking at some of the A.G.O. stuff but the problem I had was it didn't have everything I was looking for.

I've check gander mountain online. Problem there is that the closest one to me is York, Harrisburg or Wilkes-Barre all of which are over 65 miles away.

I found a really nice pair yesterday at French Creek Outfitters but the leg zippers only went up to the calf. That is a pain when wearing boots.

(Philadelphia County)

Head on over to Shyda's.

I have two sets of Browning Hydra-Fleece, jackets and bibs.
    Best hunting gear I've used, in over thirty years in the field.
    Sat through snowy, rainy, blizzards in the Browning's, and I was nice and warm and DRY. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast