Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ruger Red Label

Default Ruger Red Label

I'm a long time fan of the RRL. Many swear at them, but I swear by them. I've had multiples of them, 12s and 20s for the last 20 years or so. I have a 12 ga 30" Sporting Clays with gazillions of rounds through it and a 28" 20 ga that's been to Argentina for mega-shooting a couple of times. Never a hiccup with either. I was really bummed when they stopped production a couple of years ago.
    Yesterday I traded into one of the new ones and I'm pleased as punch, what ever that means. The action is smoother, the triggers are crisper, the wood is magnificent for a Ruger, and the balance has changed, perhaps just slightly, but for the better. Back-bored with longer forcing cones and the chokes are Brileys. Now I need to shoot it and see if all that makes any difference or if it's still me that's the limiting factor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ruger Red Label

Red Labels are some very nice shotguns. They did have some quality issues in the time right before they stopped production. They are being manufactured again now and from everything I've read they have solved the problems that they were experiencing. I have the mid 80's models and their quality is second to none. I don't have the serial data on hand right now but the last couple of years before they production there fit and finish problems and also some spring material issues.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Westmoreland County)

I have held the new Red Label, and loved how it felt, how it mounted and swung. Haven't found any in stock anywhere. The one I held was being purchased bya guy who was nice enough to let me do so. Alas, my LGS has never been able to get another one in stock. That same week I was in Grices, heard someone ask for one and they told him the same thing....on order, we had them but sold them.....
    New one sold at my LGS at just under $1100. A buddy just sold his older one and got 900+

(Carbon County)

I had the older version, I had problems with the safety and had to send it back to ruger. I haven't had any problems since. i never missed a bird with the gun, loved it. bought a beretta, love this one more

(Bucks County)

I have both the 12 and 20 and love them.

Mine are older and just a dream to shoot.

I have the straight or English stock on the 20 and makes a big difference for birds.

Let us know how the new ones shoot.