Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default AA Heavy target load

Howdy

I'm new to trap shooting (only 1 year experience, but definitely on my way to my second thousand shells). I wouldn't say that I suck at it but I am hovering around a 30/50 average. I read up on technique and I'm slowly getting better- fighting years of rifle experience and trying to become a shotgunner.

Anyway, here's my question- can a heavy load be a decent advantage? I buy shells by the case, usually 7.5 or 8 or whatever's in stock. As you all know sometimes it's hard to find what you/your gun likes.

My best scores 40+/50 were all when I had a case of AA heavy target load. I ran out and started shooting Rio, Win light target, and some estate and now I feel like I'm fighting to avg. in the mid 30s/50. 5/5 at a station is rare these days Is this a coincidence or do I need to pattern my gun every time I switch? Im not shooting handicap so it shouldn't matter but I know I struggle to walk the line between getting on the birds faster and being comfortable with my swing and trigger. Maybe I am waiting too long to shoot and at longer range the advantage of more faster pellets shows up bigtime?

What say you innanet?

Ps I just got three cases of estate because it was $65 instead of $70+ so hopefully I can at least be consistant for ten or fifteen games depending if my sister comes and shoots up my shells

Default Re: AA Heavy target load

Well I shot 46/50 and 40/50 tonite so maybe I was just psyching myself out or maybe Rio just sucks in my gun

(Chester County)

Your best bet is to video yourself while shooting and watch later to see where you are having problems with your mounting and swing. Before all these phone cameras you had to pay a pro to watch and teach you technique. It couldn't hurt to have a pro look at the video and see what your doing and offer advice to correct. Golfers do the same thing.

I would pattern your gun when you switch loads. Every detail helps you to become a better shooter. The AA used to be the standard all the others were compared to years ago but I don't know if that's the case anymore. It's been quite some time since I shot trap regularly and things change.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Save the heavy load casings get a MEC reloader and reload what you shoot. You can make the load for your gun. Worked for me. Gives me gun time. When I reload. I have shells have to shoot. No shells have to reload.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Thanks- all good advice. I'm on my way to my 1st trashcan full of empty hulls so reloading is definitely in the future. The filming on an iphone is a great idea. I shoot with a few 49-50/50 type dudes so I'm already getting an earfull! It would help to see myself though. High tech!

(Bucks County)

I'd wager that once you get your head clear, I think you'll find no difference between 7/8oz of 9s and your heavy target load (talking about percentage breaks at the trap house).

There may be a difference in velocity between the AAs and the cheaper/lighter loads you've used that may just better suit how you currently shoot.

Or you just may be more relaxed and confident with your favorites