Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    North of Jim Thorpe, Bear Creek Lakes, Pennsylvania
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Mosin Nagant OOPS!

The bayonet has been removed! I soaked the barrel and the area where the bayonet wrapped around it in motor oil last night and let it soak in. I still couldn't remove it by hand this morning. I placed the butt in a vise (well padded) and gently tapped the bayonet off with a block of wood a hammer. The bayonet will NOT be going back on. The bayonet was a front loader, not a side loader and blocked the iron sight on the front of the barrel. Not good for target shooting. Thanks for everyone's advice. DMcC

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Just leave it on, the rifle will probably shoot better with it attached anyway.
    As an added benefit. People who show up at the range with bayonets mounted and a crazed look in their eyes tend to get a little more elbow room.

Quote Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
    As an added benefit. People who show up at the range with bayonets mounted and a crazed look in their eyes tend to get a little more elbow room.
    People who show up at the range with a Mosin usually get extra room because of the BOOM.

If the rifle shoots to the left then it was sighted in with the bayonet on. You may have to move the front sight accordingly.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Bucks County)

If a mounted bayonet blocks the sight, how did anyone sight it in with the bayonet mounted?

North of Jim Thorpe, Bear Creek Lakes, Pennsylvania
    (Carbon County)

I'm just guessing that when the order to "fix bayonet" was given during the war, there wasn't a whole lot of target practice planned.

(Bucks County)

So they had no basic training, no KD range, just dumb-asses thrown into battle? Sounds like what happened to Custer with the Trapdoors.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz2720 View Post
    People who show up at the range with a Mosin usually get extra room because of the BOOM.

If the rifle shoots to the left then it was sighted in with the bayonet on. You may have to move the front sight accordingly.
    To the uneducated I could pass of my M44 as a flame thrower as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    If a mounted bayonet blocks the sight, how did anyone sight it in with the bayonet mounted?
    When mounted properly you can see the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMcC View Post
    I'm just guessing that when the order to "fix bayonet" was given during the war, there wasn't a whole lot of target practice planned.
    I've read that the Russian soldiers keep their bayonets mounted at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    So they had no basic training, no KD range, just dumb-asses thrown into battle? Sounds like what happened to Custer with the Trapdoors.
    If you read some of the history of the Russian army during WWII that's actually a pretty accurate statement. There were numerous battles where the front rows of soldiers got rifles with a few rounds. The charging conscripts behind them had two choices: pick up the rifle of your fallen "comrade" or be shot from behind by Stalin's version of the Gestapo.

Which says suck louder; running into machine gun fire, running away from it, or both at the same time?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by DMcC View Post
    The bayonet has been removed! I soaked the barrel and the area where the bayonet wrapped around it in motor oil last night and let it soak in. I still couldn't remove it by hand this morning. I placed the butt in a vise (well padded) and gently tapped the bayonet off with a block of wood a hammer. The bayonet will NOT be going back on. The bayonet was a front loader, not a side loader and blocked the iron sight on the front of the barrel. Not good for target shooting. Thanks for everyone's advice. DMcC
    If its the correct type bayonet and its mounted correctly it will not block the sights.
    You can easily open up the bayonet to fit correctly, probably a video on YouTube.

I'd explain, but on on my phone.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    If its the correct type bayonet and its mounted correctly it will not block the sights.
    You can easily open up the bayonet to fit correctly, probably a video on YouTube.

I'd explain, but on on my phone.
    The link I provided in my first post tells you how to adjust the bayonet for the mosin. Yes if turned all the way there no problem shooting it with the bayonet. Remember this is a Russian battle rifle not an AR-15. It was meant to be shoot with the bayonet in place and to be manhandled roughly.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast