Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canted FSB

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Canted FSB

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Best to try and use the flat top of the receiver to gage the straightness of the FSB. The clamp on carry handle could be flawed. Maybe throw on a BUIS that you know is good to go and see if you can repeat the issue before spending money to send it off.
    The other issue I've run into is that the muzzle device is pinned and welded, so it complicates things in regards to replacing the fsb. Could I hit it with a mallet to straighten it up? I need to take it to the range once more. Will report back.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDonJohnson View Post
    The fsb doesn't "appear" to be with the naked eye. I am using a removable Rock River a2 carry handle. It is all the way over to the left on windage. I stood the upper upside down with and without the carry handle a2 rear sight on a glass table and it has slight wobble.
    If your rear sight is all the way over to the left that's why you're shooting left. To move your groups to the right move your rear sight to the right. Start it centered and go from there. To move groups by adjusting the rear sight move it in the same direction you want your groups to move. If adjusting via the front sight move it opposite the direction you want the groups to move. An easy way to remember this is FORS--Front Opposite Rear Same.

(Bucks County)

I mount things and check alignments using two small machinists levels. A level across the magazine well forms that base of comparison. A level across the upper receiver's Picatinny rail forms that base of comparison. Scopes, folding front sight/gas block, and such come very close to perfect if not perfect.

Perpendicular objects can be eyeballed or contact-compared using a machinists square having a level in the base.

If the sight wobbles then it is not properly pinned. I am assuming it is an "F" FSB? If the welded/pinned muzzle device is better left alone, I would saw off the F sight and replace it with a railed block that mounts via four sockethead screws and buy a backup front sight. As already mentioned, you would also have the option to go free-float, selecting the block needed to accomplish that option.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tank50 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDonJohnson View Post
    The fsb doesn't "appear" to be with the naked eye. I am using a removable Rock River a2 carry handle. It is all the way over to the left on windage. I stood the upper upside down with and without the carry handle a2 rear sight on a glass table and it has slight wobble.
    If your rear sight is all the way over to the left that's why you're shooting left. To move your groups to the right move your rear sight to the right. Start it centered and go from there. To move groups by adjusting the rear sight move it in the same direction you want your groups to move. If adjusting via the front sight move it opposite the direction you want the groups to move. An easy way to remember this is FORS--Front Opposite Rear Same.

And there's your sign.

All the facts in the opening post would have gotten you back to the range quicker.

And NO, don't use a mallet to straighten out the FSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    And there's your sign.

All the facts in the opening post would have gotten you back to the range quicker.

And NO, don't use a mallet to straighten out the FSB.

And what of the wobble when the upper is upside down on a flat surface? Is that negligible?

(Erie County)

Does the carry handle lock into place solidly?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    is it a Kalashnikov, by any chance?
    That was my first thought, too. I bought an Arsenal a couple years ago and out of the box it was canted.

The only solutions I was given at the time was either send it in or have it removed, straightened and rewelded. But being an AR I imagine you have options.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Does the carry handle lock into place solidly?

Yes everything is very tight and straight on the carry handle as far as I can tell.

(Erie County)

Then go to the range and start over, after resetting your windage to zero.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12