Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gettysburg

Default Gettysburg

Hi all,
    I took a vacation a couple of weeks ago and went to Center County to renew my non resident LTCF. Tremendous reception from very friendly and helpful ladies. I also went to Gettysburg and I don't remember the last time I felt so humbled. What an experience. I plan on relocating to Harrisburg around May 2015 and you can bet that I will be returning to Gettysburg for more visits I am a Nam vet and the hairs on my arms stood up the whole time I was at the battlefield. Unbelievable feeling. I had to fight back tears I was so overwhelmed
    Thanks to all who gave the Bloomberg puppets the defeat they so deserved.
    Regards to all
    Mel
    NRA Certified Firearms and RTBAV Instructor,

(York County)

Default Re: Gettysburg

I think I know what you mean. I (and a few others) had the opportunity to visit that battlefield the first weekend it was legal to open carry there, and a member of our group was so well versed in its history you would think he stood amidst the battle himself. We mostly stood silent as we we were being placed back in time by his very narrative.

Haunting doesn't begin to describe the feeling, nor does solemn.

A welcome back to PA in advance!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

I was in Gettysburg this past weekend but I was just passing through. It is a humbling place.

Remember, just off I81 in Carlisle the is the US Army Heritage Museum. one of the best military museum in the country with great displays from all the battles our countrymen have fought.
    The WW1 trenches really show what hell they went through but if its too wet they close them off and you cant go in them.

(Chester County)

Check out the new-ish museum at the Lutheran Seminary. That was my favorite museum, with the exception of the National Park's Visitor's Center.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    I was in Gettysburg this past weekend but I was just passing through. It is a humbling place.

Remember, just off I81 in Carlisle the is the US Army Heritage Museum. one of the best military museum in the country with great displays from all the battles our countrymen have fought.
    The WW1 trenches really show what hell they went through but if its too wet they close them off and you cant go in them.
    Oh my, that's when you get the full experience...when its muddy.

Do they at least still allow you to eat the rats?

Gettysburg is very much like visiting the Vietnam Memorial in D.C.; just on a larger scale. Very similar feelings.

Nothing like reading up on Pickett's Charge and then actually walking it. You will hit the sunken area where they dressed their lines out of direct fire of the Yankees. Then continue on to the road and fences imagining all the bullets falling about you as you slow to cross. Another sweet spot is the area where Joshua Chamberlain's 20th Maine held the left on the Little Round Top and also gave a rousing speech there. You can still find the apex of the line where it bent back around. There are many other similar spots as well.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Thank you all I have a LOT more to see
    Mel
    NRA Certified Firearms and RTBAV Instructor,