Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Smile New first-time HG owner: intro/basic questions

Hi Folks,
    I've been interested in owning my own handgun for about a year now, and just recently made my first purchase. Growing up I did my fair share of 'clay shooting and 0.22 rifle plinking, but I wasn't really exposed to handguns... Perhaps I'm fulfilling that childhood void, albeit umpteen years later.

My 'first is a used SIG P226 in 0.40 with 12rnd mag, and siglites. Standard finish, with no light rail. The previous owner has only put 100rnds or so through it. BTW for those who may be curious: I paid $400 for it, and he showed me receipt of his purchase for $750. I almost bought a much cheaper [quality] gun for the same price. Details aside, I should have it home next week sometime. I'll be sure to post some pictures and details when it arrives.

There isn't really a way to describe my excitement: it's such a liberating feeling, and I'm hoping it takes a while to fade. Maybe not everyone here is interested in hearing about my basic auto, but it’s hard not to feel proud. The primary purpose of this gun is to gain respect and familiarity for handling/operation, and of course lots of range time. I don't plan to carry or keep this near my bedside/nightstand until I'm good and comfortable with it.

Anyways, you'll have to excuse my general lack of knowledge when it comes to the basics here. These are just a few random questions that have come up:

1) Is it a bad idea to publicly post your gun s/n? Should this be treated like a car VIN/license, SSN, etc? For model identification purposes: can I post all but say the last few digits?

2)Do you think it would be wise to have this gun inspected/fully tore down and cleaned by Sig or a local reputable 'smith? I can not vouch for the prior owner(s) care and upkeep. I test shot two clips worth of federal rounds and it seemed to perform OK. If I did: what should I expect to pay for such an 'inspection/cleaning' service?

3)Are there any model specific things I need to know about the maintenance/upkeep of this particular Sig? I have purchased just the basics for cleaning: solvent, hoppes, rod, brass brush, swabs.

Well, I know I had more, but I think I've kept your attention long enough.

Thanks for reading.
    Regards,
    James.

Default Re: New first-time HG owner: intro/basic questions

Hi James, welcome to the Board. Personally, I tend to keep private data private. Sn on a gun can tell a lot about its history, but is not some thing members need to know. Some times pictures will show a Sn but i tend to repatch these with photoshop to blur the area so they dont get shown on my guns.

As for the inspection. Personally, I would look into joining a gun club, then asking around who has a familiarity with this gun, and ask them to show you how to strip, and clean it, and what to look for as far as wear goes. Pending where you are and how well you know your local smith, this could be some thing he can show you.

Same goes with cleaning, although most shooters have their "recipie" for how to properly clean a gun, about the only thing we all agree on is to take the barel out when passing patch and brush unless you intend to clean from the inside out. The brush should flow in the barrel the same way the bullet does. If you ever have to clean with out taking apart, make sure the gun is in an upside down position so the junk falls out of the gun. Mind you barrel out is the best way.

As I said before, the best way to learn is to have some one show you, even if not on a sig, the principle of pistols is mainly the same.

Some of the history behind your SIG, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_P226
    Last edited by Frenchy; January 27th, 2007 at 02:58 AM. Reason: added the wiki history
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Franklin County)

Thanks for the response and welcoming. There's tons of good information on this site and I plan to make extensive use of that search button. I kinda figured the s/n was a bad idea. Maybe I'm mis-informed: does the s/n even include model information? I'm a gear head so VIN sticks in my mind.

The owner of the shop who is doing the transfer(sale from another state) offered to show me how to clean it when I pick it up. I think I have the basics of a field strip/clean understood, but l certainly won't turn down a free offering! I made sure to read the online owners manual top to bottom a few times.

What I was mainly asking about is having a detailed tear-down and cleaning performed: the stuff I can't clean/inspect on my own at this point. This isn't something I would get done regularly, just something for a new used gun. <shrug> I suppose I'm just being over paranoid.

Did I read that Sig will re-certify a used gun for ~$100?

Kindly,
    J

Quote Originally Posted by slipnslide View Post
    ...I wasn't really exposed to handguns... Perhaps I'm fulfilling that childhood void, albeit umpteen years later.
    I had this same experience, I had to qualify with a 357 magnum w/hot loads when I was 10 or 11 years old. I did not look forward to M1911 time back then. Both were too much gun for me back then but I managed, and the best part was when it ended. The experience discuraged my interest in handguns until I was well into my twenties, and by then I was a dyed-in-the-wool rifle shooter (hence my moniker).

To this day, I need a box or two to re-acquaint myself with the M1911A1 before I get decent groups.

I applied this lesson to my daughters, I started them with a Colt woodsman .22 pistol when they were both somewhere in the 7-9 age range. I take them .22'n as often as possible and they both enjoy every opportunity.

...Is it a bad idea to publicly post your gun s/n? ...can I post all but say the last few digits?
    The last two digits obscurred are fine. Hopefully this should be obvious, but I'm referring to the image, not obliterating the numbers on the gun itself!

With few exceptions, I don't post images that show the last digit or two if it's clear enough to read. Generally serial numbers are structured, that is, they contain more information than the sequential gun number. Some serial numbers have gun features. For example, I recall a "K" prefix means made of stainless steel if it's a Ruger product, and it's a former kit gun if found on a Thompson Center (may they rest in peace). Also, with collectibles, the serial number can be used to prove approximately when a certain gun was made. It's a shortcut way of establishing wartime dating with US WWII martial arms, so leave all but the last digit or two visible if you're selling.

The risk of exposing the full number, as I understand it, is someone with nefarious intent could file a false stolen weapons claim and get the number recorded in the National Tracing Center (NTC) database. Then wait a few weeks or months later and "find" your post. If you can't prove where you obtained your gun, you may lose it.

(Franklin County)

Good info, thanks! As a quick response, I did find Sig's service page:

http://www.sigarms.com/products/ProductServices.aspx

It appears a full detail strip, replacement of springs, clean/lube and testing is $75+$25S&H. I think I'll put a few boxes through it before considering this.

(Centre County)

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the SIG, truely a world class pistol.
    I personally would not disclose the SN unless absolutly necessary. Having it detail stripped is a good idea but not really necessary. Field strip it and inspect it. If nothing looks out of the ordinary, i.e chips, cracks, bad wear and the pistol functions well I would not worry about it. But $75 is not a lot for peace of mind. I really can't think of anything specific about the SIG. Just shoot it a lot and enjoy
    This site also has a lot of good info www.sigforum.com We will be waiting patiently for pics

(Beaver County)

Congratulations on owning a classic handgun. Just be careful. Once you own one Sig the obsession with acquiring another, then another, then another ...... it can be addictive. May I suggest a purchase that is well worth the investment - The DVD "Sig Sauer Armorer's Course" by Chris Willardsen & Chris Orndoff is available through Brownells or over at sigforum.com. It is a tremendous help in understanding the workings of your Sig pistol. It will show you, step by step, how to field strip your Sig, and if eventually you want to detail strip it, it will walk you through it. If you own a Sig it is an invaluable tool. Good luck and enjoy your great new handgun.

(Cumberland County)

First, welcome to the PA Forum. Second, congratulations on the purchase of a fine pistol. SIG handguns have a ver deserved reputation for being about as reliable as gravity, and are famous for accuracy. Be hard to do better for your first one. You may decide you want a .22 semi-auto for inexpensive practice too, I did, and it helped me improve my shooting more than I would have thought possible - but there is no hurry.

You are in Franklin county. That is a "good" thing for a lot of reasons, but here are at least two that are relevant to your post:

1) Look up a place called Shooter's Range in Chambersburg. It used to be named Shooter's Delight and that is what the sign out front says (717- 262-0060). It's a shooting range first, new and used gun store second. It's open from 9:00 to 6:00 on Saturday, 1:00 to 6:00 on Sunday, closed on Monday's, open from 11:00AM to 9:00 PM Tues - Friday.

The proprietor is a retired SWAT training officer named Glenn Manns. The man is extremely helpful, patient, incredibly knowledgeable, but in a laid back way, asks good questions to make you think, and has nurtured me though my first handgun (and about 9 more between my wife and I) since I moved to PA. He is a very good mentor. He will be teaching the handgun safety class my wife and daughter are going to in two weeks - I think it is full, but you could ask if there is room in it.

Glenn isn't a hardball, kill-em-all tough guy, he is a down to earth family man who happens to have 20+ years of experience and training in law enforcement, who loves guns, introducing people to them, and helping those who ask for it. When he speaks, I always listen.

When I found my beautiful W. German made PPK/S at a gun store in Michigan, I called Glenn on the phone and he had an FFL faxed to the MI store before they could finish writing up the purchase. He's that kind of person.

Highly recommended based on personal experience as a very pleased customer.

2) There is an organization called the Chambersburg Pistol and Rifle Club about a mile from Exit 14. George Martin is the president. Nice facility (although it is a bit cold this time of year, it is a great place to shoot when the weather is warmer, we have lots of Action Pistol club (laid back) competitions, some steel target shoots, a couple of New Guy ACP competitions (how I got started), and other things that will add to your enjoyment and lead to safe pistol ownership. I love that place. During the week in the summer I'm frequently able to have the whole place to myself for hours at a time (feature of being retired). I spend a very plesant afternoon a week there in the summer, sometimes two. The matches are on Sundays. The people in the club have all been both friendlyl and helpfu. They were all beginners once, and remember that, and are willing to help.

A good handgun safety course taught by an NRA or other certified instructor is a great refresher as well.

The warning about handguns being addictive is well founded. I started wanting just a home defense pistol, ended up buying 11 guns last year - 2 for my wife, 9 (including two rifles) for me.

Fitch
    Last edited by Fitch; January 27th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

3)Are there any model specific things I need to know about the maintenance/upkeep of this particular Sig? I have purchased just the basics for cleaning: solvent, hoppes, rod, brass brush, swabs.

Thanks for reading.
    Regards,
    James.
    I don't know if yours falls into this category but models with stamped and welded slides require a change of the dual roll pins about every 3000 - 5000 rounds. These are the pins that secure the breech block to the slide.

IIRC models with machined slides use a single, solid pin and do not have this requirement.

(Franklin County)

Fitch: Thanks for the verbose response: I didn't see it earlier. Anyways I have heard about Shooters Delight(as it once was called) from some co-workers. It sounds like they have some nice folks working there, and it will be one that I think I will frequent regularly. I had planned on going down there and 'trying before I buy', but I couldn't pass up on the 'Sig.

BTW I'm from the Chambersburg area and found Blue Mountain Sporting Goods to be very friendly and helpful. They don't have a huge selection at the moment(I think they are attempting to weed out the older stuff before re-investing), but they went out of their way to help me.

I think I'm OK on the operation and safety/courtesy aspects for now: afterall I was a boyscout. That being said I *do* plan on taking some basic courses, just to be sure I haven't missed or forgotten anything.

highrider: I have already been eyeing up some of the other models, but I think I'll ride this one out for a while! My next investment may very well be one for my better half: she instantly said 'ooo, I want one!' and later was very inquisitive as we both looked through some gun magazines. I couldn't have asked for a better response!

I'm somewhat hesitant to admit that I have purchassed the Armorors DVD (and studdied an older P226 armoror's guide). I don't want to be pounced on about a beginner tearing down his gun. All I'll say is I feel I'm fully capable after realizing there aren't any [highly] specialized tools involved. I in no way am downing the real skill and craft of gunsmitting, but mechanics and part complexity are nothing new to me. For the sake of cleaning and inspecting, this is something I am happy to learn to do myself.

Thanks again folks: maybe I'll run into you out on the range sometime. (there's gotta be some PFOA stickers around here somewhere...)

Happy shooting,
    J

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast