Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Venango County)

Default Help with ar15 pistol build.

We'll, the time has come for me to finally do what I have been talking about for a while.

My goal, is to have a pistol, that the simple thought of it, will make Bloomberg and Feinstein cry. One that while impractical, will be more for show at the range than any actual defensive purposes.

I am wanting to build an ar15 pistol, with an under slung 37mm flare launcher.

Why the flare launcher? Because anti gunners don't know the difference, and I think it would be fun to have attached.

I am getting a new stripped lower in the coming week or two, and will be getting a LPK to get it all taken care of. I also plan on the dig "it isn't a stock but you can still shoulder it" brace.

I have no problem just buying a complete upper with a quad rail, and just putting the launcher on it. But when I look at ones for sale, the guard is listed as "pistol length". And gives no actual dimensions.

I have found a 9" launcher, so I would assume that a 10.5 upper would work, but I am not certain. Could someone perhaps point me in the right direction for an upper that would work for this?

I am leaning towards 5.56 to keep common calipers. But I would not be opposed to 300 blackout, or something similar.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Help with ar15 pistol build.

The rail length is defiantly going to be the kicker. You will most likely get something with a free float rail Do you have a link for the flare launcher and the uppers you where looking?

(Venango County)

I am on my phone, so I really can't post links. At least, not easily.

Uppers I have just been glancing at a few. Still not decided on a caliber yet. Leaning towards 5.56, but who knows.

If you google 9 inch havoc 37mm you should see it. I am going to try and get to my PC.

(Chester County)

Spike's Havoc Launcher comes in the 9" and 12" lengths with the 9" attaching to rails as short as 7". A Havoc 9" and a 9" Rail should pretty much look flush. Whatever rail you choose you'll probably want full picatinny underneath.

I recommend you use a barrel no shorter than 10.5" (1/7 twist) to give the projectile adequate velocity/energy, but still maintain the pistol shortness.

Have you considered adding a Law Tactical folding mechanism to your AR15 pistol build? It will make your pistol very compact and fits well with the brace.

(Lancaster County)

I would only discount a barrel shorter then 10 1/2" if you plan to use FMJ ammo and are looking at terminal results as a factor. And honestly with a 10 1/2" gun I don't think you would achieve close to optimum results anyway.

However:
    There is loaded ammo out there that would be much better suited to use from a short barreled 5.56 then FMJ and (MHO) it would allow you to use the shorter/lighter 7 1/2" barrel.

Do expect MV loss in either case.

Here is some real time chrony results I did one day comparing 18" vs 16" vs 7 1/2" using the inexpensive Russian import ammo Brown Bear HP.
    Yeah I know the Centurian isn't made in Russia but it was along for the ride as was the Horny stuff. LoL

The FIRST Pistol was with a 1-9 barrel.
    The SECOND Pistol was with a 1-7 barrel.
    Take from this a basic 500fps MV loss over a 16" barrel and roughly 600fps when compared to an 18" gun.

Here is a 1-9 Pistol target shot with range fodder FMJ ammo.
    10 shots at 50yds with a 5 moa Red Dot

And while nothing to write home about in the accuracy dept this is a pic at 100 yds from the bench using the 1-7 twist rate gun.

Adding this pic just for the fun factor.
    This gun (Kitty Kat 1-7twist 7 1/2" upper) has seen a few minor upgrades over the years.
    It now sports a buffer tube enhancement along with PDP3 RD and sling w/ attachments.
    The target is at 200yds which wasn't my idea but I was goaded into it by a few spectators on the range.
    Tried to make excuses like " hey this cheapie red dot covers the entire black area: but it wasn't working.
    Hey you don't know unless you give it a try.

The 1-9 twist 7 1/2" was my second pistol build.
    If I had to compare the two as far as down range performance using various weights/makes and reloaded ammo there would be little difference. Not meant as a general rule just my observations.

One thing I did notice was that both like heavier buffer weights to get the ejected cases where I felt they belonged on the ground. Never had issues with any ammo as far as feeding and ejecting from the get go.

Have fun with your build. Do some research and try to use facts over opinions if at all possible. I think a lot of times we as a society tend to pick up on and repeat what is being said as gospel in such earnest instead of using first hand accounts and encounters.
    Last edited by Fragger; September 11th, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Beaver County)

Here's a link that may provide some helpful info.

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...le-page-9.html

Good luck!
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost_R1D3R View Post
    Spike's Havoc Launcher comes in the 9" and 12" lengths with the 9" attaching to rails as short as 7". A Havoc 9" and a 9" Rail should pretty much look flush. Whatever rail you choose you'll probably want full picatinny underneath.

I recommend you use a barrel no shorter than 10.5" (1/7 twist) to give the projectile adequate velocity/energy, but still maintain the pistol shortness.
    That is honestly the length I was thinking about. I figured that it would still help me retain some of the ballistics of the round, while still legally being a "pistol". I'm just not sure of any rails that are specific lengths. Most uppers I see don't specify. I have seen a few though, so I am leaning towards them. They were posted in a similar thread not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Have you considered adding a Law Tactical folding mechanism to your AR15 pistol build? It will make your pistol very compact and fits well with the brace.
    Well, I hadn't. Until you mentioned it. I actually like the look of it. Functional, and not too terrible of an install either. Thanks for the suggestion, going to be looking into getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragger View Post
    I would only discount a barrel shorter then 10 1/2" if you plan to use FMJ ammo and are looking at terminal results as a factor. And honestly with a 10 1/2" gun I don't think you would achieve close to optimum results anyway.

However:
    There is loaded ammo out there that would be much better suited to use from a short barreled 5.56 then FMJ and (MHO) it would allow you to use the shorter/lighter 7 1/2" barrel.

Do expect MV loss in either case.

Here is some real time chrony results I did one day comparing 18" vs 16" vs 7 1/2" using the inexpensive Russian import ammo Brown Bear HP.
    Yeah I know the Centurian isn't made in Russia but it was along for the ride as was the Horny stuff. LoL

The FIRST Pistol was with a 1-9 barrel.
    The SECOND Pistol was with a 1-7 barrel.
    Take from this a basic 500fps MV loss over a 16" barrel and roughly 600fps when compared to an 18" gun.

Here is a 1-9 Pistol target shot with range fodder FMJ ammo.
    10 shots at 50yds with a 5 moa Red Dot

And while nothing to write home about in the accuracy dept this is a pic at 100 yds from the bench using the 1-7 twist rate gun.

Adding this pic just for the fun factor.
    This gun (Kitty Kat 1-7twist 7 1/2" upper) has seen a few minor upgrades over the years.
    It now sports a buffer tube enhancement along with PDP3 RD and sling w/ attachments.
    The target is at 200yds which wasn't my idea but I was goaded into it by a few spectators on the range.
    Tried to make excuses like " hey this cheapie red dot covers the entire black area: but it wasn't working.
    Hey you don't know unless you give it a try.

The 1-9 twist 7 1/2" was my second pistol build.
    If I had to compare the two as far as down range performance using various weights/makes and reloaded ammo there would be little difference. Not meant as a general rule just my observations.

One thing I did notice was that both like heavier buffer weights to get the ejected cases where I felt they belonged on the ground. Never had issues with any ammo as far as feeding and ejecting from the get go.

Have fun with your build. Do some research and try to use facts over opinions if at all possible. I think a lot of times we as a society tend to pick up on and repeat what is being said as gospel in such earnest instead of using first hand accounts and encounters.
    Honestly, my only real concern for the length was fitting the launcher. This pistol is going to be for "fun". Not for practicality or anything even close to that. I want something to name after Diane Fienstein. Something that if she saw it would make her bite her own tongue off.