Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Practice shooting my bow from a Stand.

I am still kind of a novice bow hunter. I know my crossbow pretty good and can hit my target in the kill zone no problem. But I have never shot out of a tree stand. I dont live in a gated community, but it is an association. Think I will get in trouble if I shot my crossbow into a target from stand? I live on about an acre as are all the other houses.

Or can I go to stand game land, climb a tree and practice?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Practice shooting my bow from a Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by hurst1979olds View Post
    I am still kind of a novice bow hunter. I know my crossbow pretty good and can hit my target in the kill zone no problem. But I have never shot out of a tree stand. I dont live in a gated community, but it is an association. Think I will get in trouble if I shot my crossbow into a target from stand? I live on about an acre as are all the other houses.

Or can I go to stand game land, climb a tree and practice?

Honestly, it all depends on your association rules. It also depends on the layout of your lot and, most importantly, YOUR NEIGHBORS. If your immediate neighbors want to complain and make your life a pain, it is likely they can whether the association rules prohibit shooting bows or not.

I live on a .38 acre lot in a development with an association and I shoot my bows in the yard (towards my own garage). I am also on good terms with the neighbors on both sides, which goes a LONG way in everything I do

(Dauphin County)

Can you look around your area and find a local gun/archery club? For yearly dues you get safety, like minded hunter types and maybe even an elevated stand ready to shoot from? Ask around maybe there is an archery club close by??

(Wayne County)

How are you practicing with your bow now? Is the tree stand the problem?

(Montgomery County)

I don't know about your local rules, but I would encourage you to practice from the stand however you can. I started last year. Practicing from the stand before I went out really helped my confidance for the actual season. Just getting up into the stand and situated as well as shooting from an elevated position. I had a deer target and I did it at a couple different distances. It's obviously a big pain getting up and down to move the target but well worth it.
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(York County)

I can't say much about whether you'll be ok with the neighbors shooting from a tree stand, but I can agree with the previous post about practicing getting into and out of your stand. You don't want the first time to be the first morning. Go over your gear, put on what ever you're packing first morning, (not necessarily cloths, but gear, ie, bow, lunch, waist pack, fanny pack, back pack, etc. ) then go get in your stand. Get your system down now and it will pay dividends later. Nothing worse than fumbling and wondering where stuff is and how to get it up the tree in the dark.

I live in a gated community and I shoot off of the peak of my roof. My house backs up to a swamp and neighbors are never around. Never had any complaints.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.