Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Springfield Range Officer 9mm

Just acquired one new and was surprised to see something SA call the "integrated safety lock". A little key operated do-hickey in the mainspring housing. I field stripped and cleaned the gun, but didn't detail strip it so I'm not entirely sure what it engages to lock the pistol.

I've no intention of using the lock and I was considering swapping out the mainspring housing for the housing/funnel combo produced with the Kimber name attached to it. I've installed two of these one on a Colt 1991A1 and one a Kimber, they look and work just fine and combined with a set of aggressively "carved" G10 stocks give a very secure hand-hold.

In any event I'm curious to learn if simply removing the mainspring housing completely eliminates the ILS or if there are other parts that must be shed?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Centre County)

Default Re: Springfield Range Officer 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Just acquired one new and was surprised to see something SA call the "integrated safety lock". A little key operated do-hickey in the mainspring housing. I field stripped and cleaned the gun, but didn't detail strip it so I'm not entirely sure what it engages to lock the pistol.

I've no intention of using the lock and I was considering swapping out the mainspring housing for the housing/funnel combo produced with the Kimber name attached to it. I've installed two of these one on a Colt 1991A1 and one a Kimber, they look and work just fine and combined with a set of aggressively "carved" G10 stocks give a very secure hand-hold.

In any event I'm curious to learn if simply removing the mainspring housing completely eliminates the ILS or if there are other parts that must be shed?
    SA has been using that ILS for years. No one uses it. I know I never have.
    by turning it, it mechanically block mainspring cap to be able to move up(thus moving hammer foreword).
    Its simple, and effective way to lock the gun - If your in to that sorts of things...
    You will need to remove the entire thing - MSH, and ILS internal, and replace everything within MSH for the conversion

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=135279

I wouldn't go with Kimber one personally. I think Kimber MSH is 20LPI? Which is sort of rough...
    I have had a great luck with EdBrown "Maxi-Well" on all my Springfield guns(couple of loaded, in both 45ACP, and 9mm, TRP, GI). They are 25LPI, and feel much better.
    They all dropped right in with no fitting on Springfield guns too

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/148...ubv11485111219
    Last edited by Mity2; September 5th, 2014 at 09:45 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

There's a huge thread about getting rid of it in the Springfield section of the 1911 forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I wouldn't go with Kimber one personally. I think Kimber MSH is 20LPI? Which is sort of rough...
    Run 250 rounds of Magtech 185 gr +P through a TRP during a training exercise, with no gloves, and you can take the 'sort of' out of that equation.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lawrence County)

I wouldnt go changing it just to get rid of it. Keep it unlocked and fire away.

Theres been a few things pop up that people have blamed the ILS for but really I would leave it until you feel like upgrading the gun. When your ready to upgrade parts then go for the fancy magwell/MSH set up. I personally wouldnt immediately swap it out just to get rid of the ILS. I love my SA 1911 and plan to buy many more. I fear no ILS (not locked, not there)

(Delaware County)

S&A offers several versions of the mag well. Arched, straight, regular grips or thin grips. They are in a 20 LPI configuration, but are no where near as sharp as the the original SA checkering.

I prefer the thin grip/arched version and use it on several of my carry pistols.

George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Run 250 rounds of Magtech 185 gr +P through a TRP during a training exercise, with no gloves, and you can take the 'sort of' out of that equation.
    250 rounds? I lasted 25 rounds before I invested in shooting groves!
    Yes, TRP's front strap is ROUGH! bit on too much IMO. 30LPI would have been nice...

Quote Originally Posted by waiting2burn View Post
    I wouldnt go changing it just to get rid of it. Keep it unlocked and fire away.
    I change them right away usually.
    what I don't like about ILS is that its hammer spring is HEAVY. Not sure that heavy ass main spring is needed to for ILS or not.
    I change mine to 18# spring, and seems to work without an issue...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Susquehanna County)

Well regardless of what mainspring housing/funnel set up I get, I must replace the mainspring, mainspring cup, retaining pin and mainspring housing pin retainer (don't laugh I'm not sure what in hell that damn little thing is called!).

Ultimately, the gun is going to go for an accuracy/reliability job. Maybe over the winter when I'm shooting indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Well regardless of what mainspring housing/funnel set up I get, I must replace the mainspring, mainspring cup, retaining pin and mainspring housing pin retainer (don't laugh I'm not sure what in hell that damn little thing is called!).

Ultimately, the gun is going to go for an accuracy/reliability job. Maybe over the winter when I'm shooting indoors.
    I have a TRP & a RO. Both have the ILS & I haven't had a problem with either. I just put a drop of blue loctite on them when I detail strip them.

Both my TRP & RO are dead on accurate & have been 100% reliable, so I saw no need for SACS services in that respect. I have been thinking about sending the RO in to have it dehorned, mag well added, sights & hard chromed. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Susquehanna County)

I have yet to get to the Range with the RO. I was hoping that yesterday it would get an acid test in our monthly club match but that was cancelled because the weather forecast was so crummy.

Shooting an untested pistol in a match might be a way to a downfall. But it certainly would point out all the "weaknesses" of the gun!

The Bo-Mar style sights (Bo-Mar has been out of business for a while) are nice, and I'm used to them since I have them on my Clark Hardballer (which has done double duty as my IDPA CDP), but they are sharp edged and could stand being dehorned a bit. A short trigger instead of the long trigger currently fitted would make things easier for my stubby fingers also.

Maybe I'll be able to escape from my "home maintenance" (read honey-do) duties for awhile before next weekend. One can always hope.