Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Question springfield sporters

looking for a day road trip with pop. this place is probably 3 hrs. away and I was wanting to know if it is worth the trip. we like old military hdwr. and would like complete rifles as well as misc. parts for current projects. any experiences would be helpful. thanks red dog

(Indiana County)

Default Re: springfield sporters

Look at the picture on the website, that is what you will see.

Unless you are a FFL, you can only buy antique rifles.

Parts can be hit and miss.
    They are currently doing a re-inventory, you will have to ask for what parts you need, I'd advise you make a list ahead of time in writing.
    Do not show up a half hour before closing and expect to get your parts, might not happen as you will be competing with everyone else doing the same and there are two people there working, the owner and his guy doing inventory.

Bring rubber gloves, nothing is cleaned, it is as is imported and most have many years of crud and grease.

Is it worth the drive?
    Depends on what you are expecting, if you are expecting to see the things they had 15-20 years ago, then probably not.

I am local so I have been stopping up abut every other week and there is usually something different setting out.

There are some good deals on GI M1 Carbine mags and some antique quality bayonets.
    Some Mauser crates and such for decent prices as well.

That all said, the prices are decent IMO, but again, look at the website to get an idea if you are planning a three hour drive.

I've had good experiences on my visits, but I knew what to expect.

What are you looking for?

(York County)

I went to the store ten years ago before they were shut down by ATF for problems they had with their record keeping.

I'd love to go back again, but the drive is even longer for me.

Yep, if they are anything like they were years ago, it is a junk shop with lots of very dirty guns and gun parts. Everything is poorly stored, and you need to give yourself a lot of time. There are literally warehouses of stuff all around, but you are not allowed to browse them. The owner is the son of the guy who built the business and from what I hear nearly lost it all through employee theft and fraud. He really doesn't give a crap about customer service. You show up and if he can find it, you can buy it. Otherwise too bad for you.

Still some awesome neat stuff in his shop, which is a fairly large and when I was last there he literally had hundreds of guns like Enfields, Carcanos and various Mausers in racks all over the place.

(Lackawanna County)

Take a ride out to SARCO in Easton PA. Check out their web site/SG news ads. Last trip I spent $2300.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: springfield sporters

thanks for the info guy,s. sounds like it could be hit or miss for goodies. it may still be a good trip as not many of these places around anymore. been to sarco and it was a good visit. a revisit is over due. these little day trips are much like the girls getting together and shopping but it,s guy,s and guns. not always looking for something specific but looking for a surprise.

(Lackawanna County)

I just found out about springfield sporters, myself. I plan on taking a ride out there.

(Indiana County)

E Collector hasn't been there in ten years, while he is entitled to his opinion, I believe it is a bit dated.

If you guys venture out, the hours are only Fri 10-4 and Sat 10-2.

Honestly, the only really complete rifles you are gong to see are Yugo Mausers which need a FFL, he does not do PICS AFAIK.
    Most everything else is going to be wall hanger quality Chinese Hangyangs, some drill purpose Enfields, Berthiers, and some other assorted bits and pieces antiques.

There are other shops in the area, maybe you'd like to hit Security Military Depot, small but always interesting near Indiana.
    And then there's Bob's Army Navy and Grices in Clearfield right off of I80.

(Butler County)

I was there about a month or so ago. Lots of Enfields, Yugos and some weird shit that would take you a day to clean just to figure out what it is. Lots of bayo's, mags, slings, funny shaped containers of military origin. He had some ammo boxes. US, Danish and S. American. Take a rag and maybe a flashlight. Look at the wall driving into the place. It's made out of barrels, rifle barrels. God only knows what he has in all them buildings.

(Washington County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Sounds like a place I might have to take a motorcycle ride to one of these days.
    Last edited by Noah_Zark; September 8th, 2014 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Warning for excessive profanity in avatar.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796