Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default AR in 9mm or 45acp

For my next AR, I'm thinking going different and getting a 45acp or 9mm. I see 9mm fairly common, but not many 45's. Any real cons to a 45, or 9mm for that matter? Rifle totally range and fun, not concerned about ballistics, penetration, twist, etc., just pros/cons ? Thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Default Re: AR in 9mm or 45acp

i don't think there are a lot of companies building AR's chambered in 45, I remember Olympic Arms built AR's in 45. i don't see any issues with a AR chambered in 45 other than the cost of ammo. if it's just a range toy i'd go with one in 9mm simply because you have more manufactures to choose from and 9mm is significantly cheaper than 45.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i don't think there are a lot of companies building AR's chambered in 45, I remember Olympic Arms built AR's in 45. i don't see any issues with a AR chambered in 45 other than the cost of ammo. if it's just a range toy i'd go with one in 9mm simply because you have more manufactures to choose from and 9mm is significantly cheaper than 45.
    Probably the best move. Maybe go for the Tommy Gun in 45 and an AR in 9mm ?
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lackawanna County)

I've got a 9mm carbine it doesn't leave the safe often. Just doesn't do it for me

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: AR in 9mm or 45acp

cruzans, check out stag,s new offering in 9mm. it is not out yet but looks and sounds promising. the article I read say,s 40 cal. will follow. talk to rich as he has requested several already including a lefty for me when they become available. happy shopping, catch you at mech. ord..

I've got a RRA and Colt 9 mm AR..

The RRA I had plans to short barrel, but I've never just gotten around to doing so..

An AR in 9 mm is a fun platform, especially for younger shooters or new shooters. Low recoil, and similar ergonomics to an AR chambered in 5.56. It also makes a nice alternative to 22 rimfire for backyard plinking.

As another poster pointed out, Oly-Arms does at least make an upper for 45 ACP,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/767...ssembly-45-acp

but I'd really be inclined to stick to 9 mm due to the ammo being less expensive and also magazines being more prevalent.

(Lackawanna County)

There were some conversion units out there for 7.62mm Tokarev. At one time, when ammo was available, it was the cats meow for size & power. Mags were cheap. I read someplace about using your split necked 223 brass (cut & sized) to make Tok casings.

Always thought an AR in 30 Carbine would be fun, but Oly was the only one that ever made a few. Be bold and design your own conversion in .256 Winchester!

(Lebanon County)

I actually have an AR in 762x25 Tokarev. Its a gas gun vs the normal blowback design. Very controllable and fun gun. Its about 90% stock AR parts. Uses a magwell adapter and PPS/H43 mags, stock ar bolt carrier with a slightly modded bolt face, custom barrel and gas system thats similar to a pistol length.

If you do one in 9mm most parts I've seen were for the blowback guns and required a special bolt and trigger/hammer parts which meant your lower wasn't quickly swappable to another upper.

I think Rock River was making one in 40cal but I'm not 100% sure anymore.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Armstrong County)

If you are buying or building, get a ramped bolt. This will allow the use of standard AR15 FCG parts, in case you want to swap uppers with one lower.
    If you do go with this option, i recommend the Hahn top load mag adapter. The bottom load generally needs tweaked to adjust the height for proper feeding. To me that becomes a pain in the ass swapping back and forth. But for the price of a stripped lower these days, why not build a dedicated lower and use what ever upper you build/buy.

One thing to note, dont be surprised if you start breaking hammer and trigger pins. They are not designed to take the recoil pulse that the blow-back systems put out. 22LR uppers are the same. You wouldnt think there is more pressure, but i have broken more pins with my 9mm and 22LR uppers than i ever have beating on a 5.56 and 5.45 in full auto. And a lot of time suppressed, which adds more blow back.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    cruzans, check out stag,s new offering in 9mm. it is not out yet but looks and sounds promising. the article I read say,s 40 cal. will follow. talk to rich as he has requested several already including a lefty for me when they become available. happy shopping, catch you at mech. ord..
    Thanks! will be there Thursday to pick up some more treats
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast