Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default copper fouling help

Hi all, i took my Remington 30-06 out yesterday to sight in my new Pentax 4-12x40 Gameseeker scope that i put on it, i zeroed it in got pretty tight groups then went home to clean the sumbitch , i cant seem to get any copper off the rifling.

i use Hoppes copper terminator and left it soak in the barrel for couple hours and then cleaned it out the copper barely left the barrel theres still heavy streaks of copper in the barrel!

any suggestions ?

Default Re: copper fouling help

These test results have been around a while, take your pick of copper removers.
    http://www.coretacsolutions.com/prod..._KG12_TEST.htm

(Bucks County)

Pentax scopes are known for it. Take it back and buy a Leupold (that's Lou-pold).

(Berks County)

Are you sure it is "heavy streaks of copper"? and not powder or other residue?

The only time I have seen any ill effects of copper was with old rifles that have never had a good copper cleaning. Even after going through hundreds of rounds in my Garands and FAL's when I clean for copper it is negligable at best. Then again I do clean for it and don't let it build up.

But, when I do, I have my own witches brew made up of househould ammonia (ammonia dissolves copper and all admiralty metals) and soap solution that I soak the bore in. Household ammonia you buy in the store is usually anywhere from 2-10% strength which is plenty to clean a bore.

After a good soak, patches will show the typical bluish/green of copper removal. After the patches come out clean, I clean and oil like normal.

I did have an old .243 I acquired that kept giving me green patches, so I soaked overnight, wetting the bore down every few hours. It took a while but it cleaned up as well.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
    These test results have been around a while, take your pick of copper removers.
    http://www.coretacsolutions.com/prod..._KG12_TEST.htm
    I found it amusing that the "KG" product out did every other product by something like a "gazillion to one". Then I noticed.....that's the only product they sold. Ghee....what a coincidence!! Do they have swamps in Ca-nad-de-a????

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    I found it amusing that the "KG" product out did every other product by something like a "gazillion to one". Then I noticed.....that's the only product they sold. Ghee....what a coincidence!! Do they have swamps in Ca-nad-de-a????
    I wanted to see the MSDS and see what was in KG-12....went to KG's site and they say no ammonia. I wonder what they have in it that will dissolve that much copper in such a short time.

I'll pass and stick with ammonia, much more safer (and cheaper) for me to use, at least I know what it is and won't hurt me or harm barrel steels.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Wayne County)

I still like my Sweets 7.62.

If you want ALL the copper out, you can plug one end of the barrel and fill it with a cleaner made to remove copper. Plug the other end and let it soak overnight. This will definitely get the cobwebs out when you give it a few strokes with a bore brush the next day. For stubborn copper, two days should be sufficient.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Pentax scopes are known for it. Take it back and buy a Leupold (that's Lou-pold).
    my family uses Pentax and had good results i have the reticle with lines on it and i only paid 99.00 for it why pay 200 bucks for a leupold when Pentax is just as good, picture is clear and alot better then that Tasco scope that came with the rifle.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Are you sure it is "heavy streaks of copper"? and not powder or other residue?

The only time I have seen any ill effects of copper was with old rifles that have never had a good copper cleaning. Even after going through hundreds of rounds in my Garands and FAL's when I clean for copper it is negligable at best. Then again I do clean for it and don't let it build up.

But, when I do, I have my own witches brew made up of househould ammonia (ammonia dissolves copper and all admiralty metals) and soap solution that I soak the bore in. Household ammonia you buy in the store is usually anywhere from 2-10% strength which is plenty to clean a bore.

After a good soak, patches will show the typical bluish/green of copper removal. After the patches come out clean, I clean and oil like normal.

I did have an old .243 I acquired that kept giving me green patches, so I soaked overnight, wetting the bore down every few hours. It took a while but it cleaned up as well.
    thanks for the information and yes they are streaks on the rifling and inside the rifling grooves , my rifle is barely broken in maybe 30 rounds down the pipe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast