Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Florida resident w/ CWP. Any reason to get PA non-resident permit?

Having recently relocated to Florida from Pennsylvania, and having acquired a resident concealed weapon permit there, is there any reason or benefit to get a non-resident Pennsylvania permit?

And if yes, does the PA non-resident application process have to be completed in person, or can it be done remotely?

I have a PA resident permit from when I was a resident there, but given that I no longer am, I suspect it's invalid or would be revoked should my new address be discovered.

Unrelated, but curious question: If a license would be revoked for the reason of relocating out of state, would there be a record of it in the system, negative or otherwise?

Also curious if someone can have a resident and non-resident permit within the same state, or if that would only be possible through a glitch in the system.

Curiosity aside, I am most interested in answers to the earlier questions; specifically whether a PA non-resident permit is recommended when one already has a Florida resident permit.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Florida resident w/ CWP. Any reason to get PA non-resident permit?

So far as I know, your PA LTCF is still valid. Since you have a CCW from FL, that means, as a FL resident, you fulfill the requirements to have a non-resident PA license. I would think that you should notify the sheriff where you got the PA license of your new address so that he can send you any re-up notifications. Your current PA license should not be revoked.

The advantage of having the PA license is that you would not be subject to the 1000' GFSZ in PA and possibly be less likely to get hassled if you visit here down the pike.
    Last edited by Kurt_D; August 29th, 2014 at 12:35 PM.

One FL resident to another, keep your PA permit. You never know when reciprocity is cancelled by a stroke of the pen. Happens all the time. If you have reason to be in PA from time to time get a PA LTCF.

(Delaware County)

$4/year.

'Nuff said?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    One FL resident to another, keep your PA permit. You never know when reciprocity is cancelled by a stroke of the pen. Happens all the time. If you have reason to be in PA from time to time get a PA LTCF.
    Thanks to AG Kane, your FL permit is no longer good in PA
    Gun control is not about guns, it's about CONTROL

Thanks for the replies.

The next question/concern for me would be whether I am at risk if I continue to renew and maintain a PA resident permit, despite not being a PA resident any longer.

Is there any chance my license could be invalid as a result of this false residency? Even invalid immediately, upon discovery?

Hypothetical situation: If I get pulled over at a standard traffic stop in Pennsylvania with my firearm on me concealed, and the officer finds that I have a PA LTCF, and goes through the process of securing the firearm and looking over my documents... When he notices I have a PA resident permit and a Florida license, is there any chance this discrepancy would cause the permit to actually be invalid and I'm suddenly carrying a firearm illegally on or about my person?

Since it's a hypothetical, I like to present a "worst case" scenario. Realistically, I suspect I would present my Florida CWP instead of my PA permit, but I am curious about this residency issue.

Also, does getting a PA non-resident permit require visiting the sheriff's office in person, or can it done remotely? I'm not opposed to pursuing a PA non-resident permit as a means to replace my resident permit, but if it has to be done in person, it's not likely going to happen due to distance and infrequency of me being in PA going forward.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by drh 686 View Post
    Thanks to AG Kane, your FL permit is no longer good in PA
    Citations????
    IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

The next question/concern for me would be whether I am at risk if I continue to renew and maintain a PA resident permit, despite not being a PA resident any longer.

Is there any chance my license could be invalid as a result of this false residency? Even invalid immediately, upon discovery?

Hypothetical situation: If I get pulled over at a standard traffic stop in Pennsylvania with my firearm on me concealed, and the officer finds that I have a PA LTCF, and goes through the process of securing the firearm and looking over my documents... When he notices I have a PA resident permit and a Florida license, is there any chance this discrepancy would cause the permit to actually be invalid and I'm suddenly carrying a firearm illegally on or about my person?

Since it's a hypothetical, I like to present a "worst case" scenario. Realistically, I suspect I would present my Florida CWP instead of my PA permit, but I am curious about this residency issue.

Also, does getting a PA non-resident permit require visiting the sheriff's office in person, or can it done remotely? I'm not opposed to pursuing a PA non-resident permit as a means to replace my resident permit, but if it has to be done in person, it's not likely going to happen due to distance and infrequency of me being in PA going forward.
    All Pa LTCF issuances (resident and non-resident - new and renew) require physical presence before the sheriff at some point.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    All Pa LTCF issuances (resident and non-resident - new and renew) require physical presence before the sheriff at some point.
    Interesting. I likely won't be able to renew then, as my PA driver's license has been replaced by the one issued to me by Florida; and I gather driver's license address must match the one listed on the PA license to carry.

(Chester County)

Interesting. I likely won't be able to renew then, as my PA driver's license has been replaced by the one issued to me by Florida; and I gather driver's license address must match the one listed on the PA license to carry.
    You most certainly can renew with a FLCCW and FL DL - your new LTCF will show your FL address.

Your only impediment is self-imposed because of the personal appearance requirement:

<snip>
    IANAL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast