Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Star 9mm - What else have I been missing?

I have always strictly been a rifle gun and recently delved into handguns. Unlike rifles I have no idea what is what and figure three things: (1) I will wind up buying a lot of them over the next 30 years; (2) I am sick of different calibers (from rifles) and am going to stick to 9mm; (3) Since I know I am going to get a bunch of them I might as well "work my way up" and not get an expensive one right up front.

With that in mind I started looking at the next purchase under $500. I had on the list a bunch of Caniks, the CZ-75, the SD9, and the Tisas 1911.

I recently came across the Star 9mm. It appears to be a 1911 clone, old, and dirt cheap. I am a little surprised that I had not come across it until now. Is there anything else "under the radar" that I am missing?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Star 9mm - What else have I been missing?

No actual experience but I have come across a few negative reviews and some positive. I would see about trying one out at a range or finding a member who might have one.
    Last edited by HKusp 45; August 29th, 2014 at 12:19 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I saw one at Oaks and really caught my eyes. I wish I bought it. As I recall it was in 380 but I am not sure.

(Montgomery County)

I have a Star FR Sport .22 pistol.

Aside from a fugitive rear sight blade (I'm getting the adjustable sight that keeps breaking swapped out with a fixed style), it's a super sweet shooting target pistol. More accurate than I am.

(Allegheny County)

You could always start "in the middle" and get the CZ 75, and live happily ever after.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by psuskifan View Post
    I have always strictly been a rifle gun and recently delved into handguns. Unlike rifles I have no idea what is what and figure three things: (1) I will wind up buying a lot of them over the next 30 years; (2) I am sick of different calibers (from rifles) and am going to stick to 9mm; (3) Since I know I am going to get a bunch of them I might as well "work my way up" and not get an expensive one right up front.

With that in mind I started looking at the next purchase under $500. I had on the list a bunch of Caniks, the CZ-75, the SD9, and the Tisas 1911.

I recently came across the Star 9mm. It appears to be a 1911 clone, old, and dirt cheap. I am a little surprised that I had not come across it until now. Is there anything else "under the radar" that I am missing?
    Take a look at the Ruger 9E. I shot one today, and was impressed. Guy brought it to the range right from the shop, and it shot great. Online, just over $300!

what model??
    theres so many 9mm versions it's nuts.

most complain or give them a poor review cause they didnt cost 3 months of mortgage payments.
    a slow death awaits you,but not before love reminds you that there is good in you

(Berks County)

Here is a good link on star B 9mm 1911 copy cat.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-star-model-b/
    Handgun caliber diversity is unavoidable, my suggestion is don't even try. You wouldn't buy 10 half inch wrenches.

(York County)

You've discovered the world of old school, C/R type guns. God help you.

The 9mm Star is one of those guns that just doesn't get the respect it deserves. Sure, its a early generation design meant for military use with FMJ bullets. Its steel, heavy and has tool marks in addition to being covered in proof marks. Take it to the range and shoot it.

Now find out all the other great, semi obsolete pistols in 9mm out there! For instance the Walther P.38/P.1 series. Besides being the evil Nazi service pistol it was used by the Germans for something like 60 years and you can still get one of the alloy frame postwar P.1s for a reasonable price.

Then there is the Browning Hi Power. Its a Browning design. Do I need to say anything else?

Got money? I mean lots of money, buy a P.08 Luger. Not cheap, but what a piece of precision machinery.

You want a more modern and American made, find a S&W Model 39 series. They were made in one version or another for nearly 50 years. Tons of them out there and they are really great pistols.

I could go on and on.

So yes, there are lots of great 9mm pistols you can get so that you don't lose your mind dealing with all the calibers yet have plenty of fun choices.

(Dauphin County)

Yes, C&R is the Good Sickness. Personally, I'm a slut for vintage .32 ACP but the Star is also on my list because I collect German police pistols and Stars were issued back in the 50s to some units.

But honestly, for a relatively inexpensive introduction to modern 9mm pistols it's hard to beat some of the latest Turkish guns being imported by Tristar, EAA, etc. Good steel, good quality, and new modern manufacturing minimizes issues you can have with the older guns.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast