Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Why I can't hunt geese.

I know this is a little over the top, but since I have learned and personally observed that geese are indeed monogamous and keep their partners for life it trouble me to think about shooting one.

I know, I know - need to drink more manly Super-T!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Why I can't hunt geese.

Shoot em both. Waterfowl is a blast.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    I know this is a little over the top, but since I have learned and personally observed that geese are indeed monogamous and keep their partners for life it trouble me to think about shooting one.

I didn't know that. It brought a very vivid and sad image to my mind

(Bucks County)

You don't need to shot them. Go down to Fairmount Park and you could get the pair with a net. Of course I am not suggesting you do that, It would be illegal. But as I have fallen running over Geese shit, on both my bike and skates, I hate these flying rodents. And they have no fear of humans. I think every wild animal should be afraid of humans.
    Last edited by elweasel; August 22nd, 2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: f**king autocorrect
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post

I think of it this way. In a lot of cases, you're probably doing them a favor.

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Erie County)

Given the over-population problem and they are a basic menace on the road, parks, etc. I have no problem hunting them.

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Shoot em both. Waterfowl is a blast.
    Solid advice.

(Westmoreland County)

I can't hunt geese because I don't like how they taste. But....I LOVE Duck!! OTOH....I can't stand hunting 'em. Cold.....wet...a constant Quack...quack...quack going on. Wait...not a constant quack...it's a FREAKING NEVER ENDING QUACK, QUACK, QUACK!!! I went duck hunting when I was 18 or 19 three times with a buddy who at the time, was over the top nutz about it. I hated it. I can still hear that damn call cutting my brain in half.

But the mate for life thing is true. But....if you like to eat 'em...shoot 'em...theres only a billion left on the planet, and "resident geese" are far more common than ever before.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    I can't hunt geese because I don't like how they taste. But....I LOVE Duck!! OTOH....I can't stand hunting 'em. Cold.....wet...a constant Quack...quack...quack going on. Wait...not a constant quack...it's a FREAKING NEVER ENDING QUACK, QUACK, QUACK!!! I went duck hunting when I was 18 or 19 three times with a buddy who at the time, was over the top nutz about it. I hated it. I can still hear that damn call cutting my brain in half.

But the mate for life thing is true. But....if you like to eat 'em...shoot 'em...theres only a billion left on the planet, and "resident geese" are far more common than ever before.
    I liked the taste alright, I just have to figure how to cook them properly. That meat was so dense, it seemed to take forever.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I liked the taste alright, I just have to figure how to cook them properly. That meat was so dense, it seemed to take forever.
    I breast them out and turned most into sweet Italian sausage. I use a cut down version of a pre-packaged spice kit and use lamb casings.

I brought them to a picnic over the summer. everyone loved them. I had people coming up all day thanking me for bringing them. I brought 5 pounds and nothing was left.

The key is to cook them just the right amount of time. I don't cut the meat with any other meat. 100% goose, so it can dry out quick if over cooked.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast