Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Quick weld in Reading/Allentown area?

Does anyone know where I could get a flash hider welded in the Reading/Allentown area? The device is already drilled and I can easily dimple the barrel, I just need someone to weld the pin in place. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: Quick weld in Reading/Allentown area?

If you go to just about any place they weld you could probably find someone willing to slap a tack weld on it for you. Wish I was stateside, I'd help you out. Just try checking a couple places, even most car shops have a MIG welder so it's extremely simple to do. Just let them know what you need done and ask them if they'd be willing to do it for something like a 10 dollar tip.

If I was home I'd only charge you a few rounds of ammo for "testing purposes" lol

Good luck man.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Berks County)

Thank you for the offer G. I was hoping to find a gun guy rather than walk into some random shop and say "can you weld up my deadly assault rifle?" Okay, so I wouldn't say it like that, but you know what I mean. Not sure what kind of response I'd get.

(Northampton County)

I can do it ,but I am in Easton , I am normally in on Saturdays, but this weekend we will be showing Guns at Split Rock all weekend.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Berks County)

Did you check with Randy @ the Handgunner in Topton?

(Berks County)

Thank you Brian. Easton is a bit out of my way, but I'll keep you in mind. I think I will check with Randy first. Thanks!

(York County)

The thought just occured to me, could you just silver solder it? I seem to remember flash hiders being "permanantly attached" with soldering during the clinton ban. If that's a possibility, I'd advise it before a spot weld.

If you use silver solder, it's something you could do yourself for just a few dollars. Just go to harbor freight and get all the stuff you'd need for 20 dollars or so.

The benefit is you could always re-heat your barrel / flash hider and take it back off with very little effort at a later date, with only having to do a little wire brushing to clean it up. A weld would have some grinding to do to change later if you ever had need / want to.

Not sure how much this helps, but it was just a thought and I figured I'd share.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Berks County)

Silver solder is a f**k ton more heat then tig. Don't you have to have an ffl to work on guns? For other people.
    Last edited by Gunsnwater; August 26th, 2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added for other people

(Berks County)

Yeah, silver solder is a legal option, but I don't want to mess up the heat treatment of the barrel.

You don't need an FFL,there's no firearm involved, it's just a barrel. It's not even attached to the upper receiver, let alone the lower receiver. If I were to mail it to someone, they would have to have an FFL, maybe that's what you were thinking.

Like I said, I will try Randy at The Handgunner, though I know he's had a big backlog of work for the last year or so. I'm still open to other volunteers, if anyone is willing.

Thanks everyone for the input.

(Berks County)

Just as an update, I did take the two barrels in to The Handgunner and happened to arrive in a lull in business. I was the only one in the shop at the time.

I had already timed the flash hiders and drilled the dimples in the barrels and installed the pins, so Randy and Dean just welded them over and cleaned them up. They charged me far less than they should have and I was out the door in about 15 minutes.

I've spent many thousands of dollars at The Handgunner over the years and will continue to do business there, as well as recommend them highly. Thanks, guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast