Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Undecided

(Lancaster County)

Default Undecided

I've mentioned in a couple threads that I have been rethinking carrying. I've had a couple back surgeries, various procedures, treatments and physical therapy. Some days are better than others. I read the threads about not getting involved, the financial loss and all the "damned if you do, damned if you don't " public opinion.

The last few days I've gone about my routine and left the gun at home locked up. I for the most part at times felt like I forgot my pants. I found myself a couple times thinking how I'd be at the mercy of fate if anything did happen. My son has been asking and seems disappointed. The worst feeling so far has been at a few places where the clerks know me came right out and asked where my gun was or why I wasn't armed. They meant no harm and were just curious. However with all the other customers around and overhearing, I was swept by a feeling of vulnerability.

No it wasn't a paranoid fantasy, I wasn't thinking I was in imminent danger from ne'er do wells. I'm just a guy with no enemies. But that announcement that I was unarmed amongst a group of unknowns was unsettling. It was as though I was now more at risk. Possibly from someone that I had previously offended with my OC. Okay so maybe a little paranoid.

I've pretty much always carried and the last five openly. Unless I'm on the job site or sleeping. The theory that you never know when there will be trouble and better to have it and not need it as opposed to the reverse. I'm not really looking for advice, I just wanted to share my thoughts and what I have experienced to this point for those that have considered doing the same.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Undecided

So how about getting yourself a pocket gun or just something very lightweight until your back gets better?

No need to go big or go nothing at all in this situation I think. Same with CC over no-C.

Would a J-frame or CM9 on your hip or in your pocket cause discomfort?

And yes I echo your thoughts. No, I don't feel extra vulnerable when I'm unarmed, but I do just feel something missing. I feel like I'd let myself and others down if something were to happen that I could prevent but didn't have the proper equipment to do so.
    Last edited by jthrelf; August 18th, 2014 at 04:22 PM.

(Erie County)

Get one of them tupperware guns. I hear that they are light.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Lancaster County)

The back isn't getting better. And it's just one of the reasons. Even my belt causes discomfort over time. I can suck it up if and when I want to. I've thought more about the risk. All shootings, even of the self defense variety are disputed on here, a pro second amendment forum. The media makes up their own narrative and the laws and administrators of those laws turn victims into cold blooded killers.

At this point I'm re evaluating the risk and benefits. My son is in his last year of high school, soon to be 18 and mostly on his own now. Our time together isn't what it once was so carrying for his protection isn't as much of a concern. Now it's just my butt. To an extent I feel like I'm letting my gaurd down, not being responsible for my own security and a little bit of a sell out or giving up.
    But the various threads, opinion and news items are disconcerting as well

Would a snubbie revolver in a shoulder holster be an option that wouldn't hurt your back?

(Beaver County)

Don't let the outlier bullshit get to you. As long as you do right by you and yours, all is good.

That's all I got.

Sorry friend, these doubles on top of 10hr drives are leaving my brain raw.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    The back isn't getting better. And it's just one of the reasons. Even my belt causes discomfort over time. I can suck it up if and when I want to. I've thought more about the risk. All shootings, even of the self defense variety are disputed on here, a pro second amendment forum. The media makes up their own narrative and the laws and administrators of those laws turn victims into cold blooded killers.

At this point I'm re evaluating the risk and benefits. My son is in his last year of high school, soon to be 18 and mostly on his own now. Our time together isn't what it once was so carrying for his protection isn't as much of a concern. Now it's just my butt. To an extent I feel like I'm letting my gaurd down, not being responsible for my own security and a little bit of a sell out or giving up.
    But the various threads, opinion and news items are disconcerting as well
    I've had some of the same thoughts. and I have not been carrying for that long. But it seems to me if you follow MYOB, and just worry about your own security, your chance of getting mixed up in a lot of legal BS is less. If you do have to discharge your weapon to save yourself, it is worth it.

I hope your back heals. But until then what about something like a LCP or a Beretta Pico. Both .380

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/pico/#Main

Just my thoughts. Feel better.

DJ

(Lancaster County)

My back is failed back surgery syndrome, damaged nerve, or neuropathy. Chronic pain. I have a Mustang I throw in my pocket occasionally and my edc is a G19.

I appreciate the suggestions but the larger issue are the legal, civil and social penalties a person pays. I always carried for self defense and defense of my family. I would only get involved in other scenarios if death was imminent and in very close proximity. Meaning I wouldn't be running toward the sound of gun shots or entering a store I could plainly see is being robbed for example.

The thought of not using my gun in a violent attack for fear of an over zealous DA or civil suit always seemed ridiculous before. These days not so much. When it has become the cops letting the prosecutor sort it out and the prosecutor letting public opinion or the judge and jury sort it out and they want to leave it to appeal, now that I'm older, maybe it's not worth the hassle.

I don't know. I wanted to put it out there to share my thoughts and the back and forth I'm going through. I figure others have done the same or may at some point.

(Warren County)

Mitch, you always have the option to NOT pull the trigger.

If you don't have the gun with you, your options dramatically disappear.

You can always walk away from situations that you think will escalate into bad times.

Not carrying puts you in a less than optimal situation.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Mitch, you always have the option to NOT pull the trigger.

If you don't have the gun with you, your options dramatically disappear.

You can always walk away from situations that you think will escalate into bad times.

Not carrying puts you in a less than optimal situation.
    THIS is good and little to say in rebuttal. Open or concealed carry aside, don't you ever think, nothing happens, nothing is going to happen. The majority doesn't walk around armed. Most of the people I know don't carry. Why should I?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast