Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rifles, carbines, shotguns or pistols for zombie invasion

So, wife and I are facing a dilemna. Rifles, carbines, pistols, or shotguns.

Sometime in the next week or two, we are going to add to our collection. We want something useful in the event of a zombie invasion or something else that may make us wish for a good fighting firearm, not necessarily purely for home defense.

We've got a good collection of .22s, .17s, 20 guages, and a black powder rifle, but those are all hunting & target shooting guns. Our fighting guns are pretty much her S&W M&P 9c and my Ruger SP101. We want some better fighting guns.

We are considering the following choices:

Pistols:
    For her: another XD9 Tactical
    For me: full sized .357 (4 inch S&W 686, most likely) for the power and no need for mags, or an XD9 Tactical so we can share magazines, or a Government Model because I've always wanted one. The 1911 is perhaps the least practical choice.

Other options are to forego full sized handguns altogether, make do with our compact guns, and get a pair of one of the following:

Keltec Sub2000 9mm carbines
    AK 47s/WASRs
    Mossberg 500 combo shotguns with both 18.5 & 28 inch barrels

Whatcha think?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Chester County)

Default Re: Rifles, carbines, shotguns or pistols for zombie invasion

Go with an AR, gives you the accuracy for the long range head shot. Not to mention accurate enough to use for hunting. If zombies do hit it won't be long before hunting will be a way of survival.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk06699 View Post
    Go with an AR, gives you the accuracy for the long range head shot. Not to mention accurate enough to use for hunting. If zombies do hit it won't be long before hunting will be a way of survival.
    That is actually my preferred option, but I do not think we can afford a pair of them, and I wish to purchase for both of us.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    That is actually my preferred option, but I do not think we can afford a pair of them, and I wish to purchase for both of us.

Hell I can't afford one, yet. I really need to get one before the election hits.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Berks County)

So, wife and I are facing a dilemna. Rifles, carbines, pistols, or shotguns.

Sometime in the next week or two, we are going to add to our collection. We want something useful in the event of a zombie invasion or something else that may make us wish for a good fighting firearm, not necessarily purely for home defense.

We've got a good collection of .22s, .17s, 20 guages, and a black powder rifle, but those are all hunting & target shooting guns. Our fighting guns are pretty much her S&W M&P 9c and my Ruger SP101. We want some better fighting guns.

We are considering the following choices:

Pistols:
    For her: another XD9 Tactical
    For me: full sized .357 (4 inch S&W 686, most likely) for the power and no need for mags, or an XD9 Tactical so we can share magazines, or a Government Model because I've always wanted one. The 1911 is perhaps the least practical choice.

Other options are to forego full sized handguns altogether, make do with our compact guns, and get a pair of one of the following:

Keltec Sub2000 9mm carbines
    AK 47s/WASRs
    Mossberg 500 combo shotguns with both 18.5 & 28 inch barrels

Whatcha think?
    Everything you need to know for surviving a zombie apocalypse can be found here: http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/

http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/page/Weapons+%26+Gear
    http://www.zombiesurvivalwiki.com/pa...have+access+to
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Berks County)

Look into buying stripped lowers and then slowly building them up from there. If you don't go super tactical you can pretty much build 2 for under 1200. Del-ton, Model 1, CMMG all offer great kits.

www.del-ton.com
    www.cmmginc.com
    www.model1sales.com
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Allegheny County)

Well, Del-Ton kit for $465
    Anvil Arms lower for $100
    Estimated shipping $20
    Transfer $20
    _______
    $605

$1,200 for the pair

Closest I could find to the Sub 2000 is the SU-16c for $515

So between those two you are spending $170 and getting a better quality rifle, with interchangeable (and easy to find) parts, and is much easier to work on if needed. It is a proven design.

If you can find the Sub 2000, go for it. I almost picked one up in 9mm, but the trigger sucks and they might be hard to find. Also don't know about the quality.

I was looking at Rock River AR kits. Don't have a clue what others are available besides the ones mentioned here. How hard are these things to put together? Bear in mind, I have to use the directions to put our BBQ together, and have never done anything more mechanical with a gun than strip it for cleaning.

How much would I have to spend in the way of tools for the job, in addition to the kits?

How long does it take to put them together?

Can you find the kits in the stores, or do you buy them over the web?

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

All of the above.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams

How hard are these things to put together? Bear in mind, I have to use the directions to put our BBQ together, and have never done anything more mechanical with a gun than strip it for cleaning.
    I put mine together, that's saying something.

A few springs, a few pins, it's not too bad and there are very good instructions out there.

How much would I have to spend in the way of tools for the job, in addition to the kits?
    Not much. A few punches, a non-marking hammer, screwdriver, vice grips, tape, and a little grease.

They make a special tool for the front detent, and a wrench for the adjustable stock. You might even be able to borrow them from a forum member of have a "build party"

How long does it take to put them together?
    First time, 20-30 minutes. I've heard 8-10 minutes is feasible for someone experienced.

Can you find the kits in the stores, or do you buy them over the web?
    Usually the kits are online, complete rifles are in stores.

This is the kit I used, others have used RRA kits, and there was a company that gave some good deals. Check with Emptymag or Bear titan to find the company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast