Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: Teacher/army vet nailed at Statue of Liberty for revolver in her purse

Oh, there's a rat in these meals! But he was a cook on a ship in the 60's. Ok we'll let this slide. You fuckers that ate the rat need to respect this man, he's a vet.
    How did he prepare the rat? Broiled? Boiled? Fried? Sautéed?

Prepared properly, dog isn't all that bad. Been there, done that.

People eat squirrels, and rabbits. A rat is just another rodent.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Teacher/army vet nailed at Statue of Liberty for revolver in her purse

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    I won't agree that the prosecutor should be cutting her some slack just for being a veteran. There are military drivers, military cooks, all kinds of jobs that don't involve firearms. Should they get special dispensation when committing vehicular crimes or violating the health code in their restaurant? Oh, there's a rat in these meals! But he was a cook on a ship in the 60's. Ok we'll let this slide. You fuckers that ate the rat need to respect this man, he's a vet. Every time there's a carve out for someone for actions in the past, it cheapens the action and it cheapens all future actions. I did honorable work, of which I'm proud, in the service of my country, but I certainly don't expect that for the next 40 years I should be allowed to do whatever I like. I didn't get shot in Afghanistan so I could get 10% off at Home Depot and go over the speed limit.

I get all that and of course you're correct. My statement was how I think things should be. I'm not saying anyone should be able to commit a crime and get a pass. But in my opinion she didn't commit a crime. I think she broke the law without intent or motive to do so. Law enforcement won't make that distinction since breaking the law is tantamount to committing a crime. In this case I feel there is a definite distinction because the punishment (up to 15 years) doesn't fit the crime. I think "character" should be considered as it is in other types of criminal trials. The fact that she's a teacher and a vet create good character image for me. The fact that she works with children, was in the military and has a license to carry means that she has been vetted multiple times. For all this, yes I think she should be cut some slack.

forty-six thank you for your service

Raymond Felton (former NY Nicks) and Plaxico Burress were both cut some slack in NYC. I consider both to be of questionable character but they made it work. I hope the school teacher gets similar consideration.

Burress brought a gun into a nightclub and it was accidentally discharged. He had an expired Florida license to carry which would not have been recognized in NY anyway. After he shot himself in the leg his teammate hid the gun and the incident was not reported to police. He was able to plea down and avoid any mandatory minimum sentencing. He got two years but only served about 20 months. This happened in 2008 on Bloomie's watch.

Bloomberg also urged that Burress be prosecuted to the fullest extent, saying that any punishment short of the minimum 3½ years for unlawful carrying of a handgun would be "a mockery of the law.

And Felton's case. Links are below, I'll just post the highlights. He was sentenced last month. Considering he had an FN 5.7 pistol for which he had no NY permit (thus making it an "illegal gun" in NY) and it was loaded with 18 rounds in a city that limits it to 7 rounds he still managed to walk away with no jail time.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/23/ex-knic...t-avoids-jail/
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...arges/5822415/

New York Knicks point guard Raymond Felton was arraigned on two felony weapons possession charges Tuesday in Manhattan, but prosecutors might have helped save his career by declining to bring a more serious charge that requires a minimum of 3 1/2 years in prison if convicted.

New York police originally booked him on three gun-related charges, including second-degree criminal gun possession, which brings a mandatory minimum prison sentence of 3 1/2 years if convicted, according to gun-law experts in New York.

The Manhattan District Attorney's office declined to file that second-degree charge at his arraignment, and a person in the office declined to say why when contacted by USA TODAY Sports. The person requested anonymity because they had not be authorized to speak publicly.

-------------------------

A Manhattan judge sentenced ​former Knicks guard Raymond​ ​Felton Wednesday to 500 hours of community service and a $5,000 fine​ ​for possessing an illegal gun that his ex-wife turned into cops, claiming he’d pointed it at her.
    “I apologize. I realize what I did was wrong,”​ ​mumbled the recently ​​traded ​Felton, who now plays for the Dallas Mavericks. He pleaded guilty in court to attempted ​​criminal possession of a weapon and criminal possession of a firearm​ ​as part of a no-jail plea deal.

Felton, 29, was busted in February after his ex-wife, Ariane Raymondo,​ ​turned him in to police for the illegal pistol and large capacity ​magazine.
    She showed up at the 20th Police Precinct with the Belgian-made FNH​ ​Five-Seven 28mm handgun and told cops her hubby had waved it at her ​twice during heated spats at their Upper West Side pad.
    The illegal gun’s magazine was packed with 18 body-armor-piercing​ ​bullets, according to law enforcement sources.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post

Felton, 29, was busted in February after his ex-wife, Ariane Raymondo,​ ​turned him in to police for the illegal pistol and large capacity ​magazine.
    She showed up at the 20th Police Precinct with the Belgian-made FNH​ ​Five-Seven 28mm handgun and told cops her hubby had waved it at her ​twice during heated spats at their Upper West Side pad.
    The illegal gun’s magazine was packed with 18 body-armor-piercing​ ​bullets, according to law enforcement sources.
    LOL, anyone else and they would have arrested and charged the ex-wife with illegal possession too.
    Last edited by TSimonetti; August 19th, 2014 at 07:53 AM.

(Berks County)

The reason Felton got off so light is because he wasn't caught with it in his possession. A third party turned in the weapon and said it belonged to him. Had he been caught with it, he would have gone through the same thing that Plaxico did.
    When in doubt, knifehand!

Now see that's more reasonable, that her previous military service would be a check mark in the column for considering character. If this were a misdemeanor, such a thing should count for something. This is a felony, though, I think? I don't like the idea of making up new sentences for felons, just because they're folks I like - since I also have the urge to make the sentences worse for folks I don't like. That's great in my little world, but when it's my opinion against that of a liberal activist judge or a jury of 10 former Rand Spear clients, my opinion won't count, and that's how you get unpunished felons.

The answer is to move possession (possession without any other charges or circumstances) to some summary charge. So then it IS very discretionary whether a charge is even filed, because there may be a situation where leniency makes sense. Such as the case of a teacher from the country bringing a group of students to the big city and carry a pistol to protect herself and them. That would be an exigent circumstance and maybe you don't charge at all. If, on the other hand, possession is in relation to a charge of waving that gun at your ex-wife, then gallows all around. I believe folks who love drugs used the same arguments to get personal possession legalized in some other states.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    Now see that's more reasonable, that her previous military service would be a check mark in the column for considering character. If this were a misdemeanor, such a thing should count for something. This is a felony, though, I think? I don't like the idea of making up new sentences for felons, just because they're folks I like - since I also have the urge to make the sentences worse for folks I don't like. That's great in my little world, but when it's my opinion against that of a liberal activist judge or a jury of 10 former Rand Spear clients, my opinion won't count, and that's how you get unpunished felons.

The answer is to move possession (possession without any other charges or circumstances) to some summary charge. So then it IS very discretionary whether a charge is even filed, because there may be a situation where leniency makes sense. Such as the case of a teacher from the country bringing a group of students to the big city and carry a pistol to protect herself and them. That would be an exigent circumstance and maybe you don't charge at all. If, on the other hand, possession is in relation to a charge of waving that gun at your ex-wife, then gallows all around. I believe folks who love drugs used the same arguments to get personal possession legalized in some other states.

If the firearm wasn't loaded when they arrested her, it would have been a misdemeanor. I agree with your feelings on the Pelton thing. Normally, something like that, since it should have been considered Domestic, should have gotten a higher charge. I know they can call that Menacing and Harassment at the lower end, and some DAs would even go as far as to charge Assault with a Deadly. Again, because the wife came into the precinct with the weapon, rather than a radio car being dispatched to the location, none of that would have been charged.

NYC's gun laws have been in place for over 100 years, IIRC, since it has always been a shithole. Unfortunately, there are a lot of law abiding citizens who get caught by it, not knowing that having a loaded firearm in city limits is a no-no. I had a NYS CCW with a restricted NYC endorsement when I was working security and I still got shit for carrying. I hate that place and I hope the teacher finds a sympathetic judge who will do something with the charges.
    When in doubt, knifehand!

Quote Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
    I am really confused on this one, since the statue and park are in NJ not NYC.
    Not so. I was there no so long ago and it was expressed that it was decided that the SOL is in NY.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345