Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Am I eligible for a cc permit

So I'm gonna lay everything out as best I can. A few years ago I was arrested for selling a small amount of marijuana. The original charges were possession with intent but it all got dropped to a ungraded misdemeanor for receiving a Controlled substance. I know that a upgraded misdemeanor is the lowest misdemeanor you can get. Will this disqualify me for a ltcf? If so would getting this expunged make me eligible?
    Last edited by Vito7103; August 15th, 2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Am I eligible for a cc permit

According to some you would be disqualified because you called it a CC license and not an LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by sir Joseph View Post
    According to some you would be disqualified because you called it a CC license and not an LTCF.
    That certainly adds a lot to the thread and helps him out.

To the OP, I do not know the answer, hopefully someone who knows more will chime in. Pafoa has a library of state statutes that might be a good starting point for you although there are federal laws also.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...sfer-firearms/

You might also want to take a look through some old threads. Go to Google and type in the following:

pafoa misdemeanor for receiving a Controlled substance site:forum.pafoa.org

Here's one thread.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...bited-not.html

. . . A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    (ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No. 64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.1

. . .
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Lehigh County)

OP you are brave being honest, but as ridiculous as it is to myself and millions of others because alcohol & tobacco products are much more dangerous, you are fucked.

Your best bet is to assist those in power to reform the ass-backwards marijuana laws in this state and this country.

And BTW I don't smoke marijuana. I hate that shit, but I hate the laws even more.
    -jFw

(Blair County)

I was in a LGS the other day, there was someone from the State Police (Plain clothes) going over forms with the owner of the LGS. They were discussing two people who had marijuana convictions several years back and had recently tried to purchase handguns. I don't know the details (age, location, how much, etc.) but the gist of the conversation was that they both were ineligible to purchase a firearm (and certainly ineligible to obtain a LTCF).

Quote Originally Posted by Vito7103 View Post
    So I'm gonna lay everything out as best I can. A few years ago I was arrested for selling a small amount of marijuana. The original charges were possession with intent but it all got dropped to a ungraded misdemeanor for receiving a Controlled substance. I know that a upgraded misdemeanor is the lowest misdemeanor you can get. Will this disqualify me for a ltcf? If so would getting this expunged make me eligible?
    Yes, you are disqualified.

Yes, there is a process in which you "MAY" have your rights restored...contact one of the posters on this thread, GunLawyer.

However, you should be able to buy firearms but again, I defer to the attorney to find out for sure. Best of luck to you,

CL

(Allegheny County)

I don't know if it's too late to do so, but what if the OP got an expungement?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rensdd View Post
    I don't know if it's too late to do so, but what if the OP got an expungement?
    IANAL..but my understanding is this:

IF the OP gets a pardon and subsequently an expungement he will be once again eligible for a LTCF as well as being eligible for purchases. However, it takes a qualified lawyer and LOTS of money to do so.

Also, there are some offenses which preclude you from a LTCF but do not prohibit purchases, some of them being "minor" marijuana type charges. I do not know if this applies to the situation the OP is in, but nobody should assume that being ineligible for a LTCF AUTOMATICALLY excludes them from ownership as well. It does not go the other way- if you cannot legally purchase a firearm you DEFINITELY cannot obtain a LTCF