Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Defense against knife attack while carrying .

Just wondering how many out there have practiced drawing from concealment while being attacked with a knife(or impact weapon)?It was a real eye opener when i started doing this in Krav class and realized that even though i've been shooting and competing for 20 years with a hand gun ,there is no way i could draw from concealment and place shots on a opponent 5-15 feet away running at you with out being stabbed multiple times.The drill was to demonstrate the need to hone our unarmed knife defenses and control the knife before drawing and ending it with a shot to the head.You may kill your attacker going for your gun first but you'll probably bleed out from multiple stab wounds,not a win in my book.Any one else been working on this?
    Last edited by sprint51; August 14th, 2014 at 09:36 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Defense against knife attack while carrying .

I've practiced unarmed self defense long before I ever thought of carrying a gun. A lot of people (including far too many gun owners) think their gun is a trump card; simply put, it isn't in quite a few situations.

If someone pulls a knife and is that close to me, I'm not reaching for my gun at all. Both of my hands are going to control that knife hand to try and take the weapon away from the attacker.

I've had knives pulled on me in two situations where I would have been stabbed if I took any time to reach for a gun or my own knife. I strongly recommend taking good self defense classes before taking any gun fighting classes. Color me wrong, but knowing how to defend myself without a gun has saved my bacon quite a few times.

(Bucks County)

Ive watched a bunch of videos from a good dude, Mike Janich.....

check him out, excellent material

(Berks County)

Learning some sort of unarmed combat is imperative for anyone that carries a firearm. Most important to me, is weapon retention as I wouldn't want the BG using my own weapon against me.

I started training Pekiti Tersia (Filipino martial art) to supplement my judo, jujutsu and TKD, primarily for weapon retention and being able to draw under pressure.

Who's your KM teacher?
    When in doubt, knifehand!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by LordTobias View Post
    I've practiced unarmed self defense long before I ever thought of carrying a gun. A lot of people (including far too many gun owners) think their gun is a trump card; simply put, it isn't in quite a few situations.

If someone pulls a knife and is that close to me, I'm not reaching for my gun at all. Both of my hands are going to control that knife hand to try and take the weapon away from the attacker.

I've had knives pulled on me in two situations where I would have been stabbed if I took any time to reach for a gun or my own knife. I strongly recommend taking good self defense classes before taking any gun fighting classes. Color me wrong, but knowing how to defend myself without a gun has saved my bacon quite a few times.
    Agreed. I started in martial arts in elementary school, took up boxing in middle school as well as "street fighting", during this time and into my twenties I learned and trained with different weapons. Just as a gun shouldn't be the only choice, a person should be open to all tools and disciplines that they can.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Agreed. I started in martial arts in elementary school, took up boxing in middle school as well as "street fighting", during this time and into my twenties I learned and trained with different weapons. Just as a gun shouldn't be the only choice, a person should be open to all tools and disciplines that they can.
    Completely agree. It helps to know how to protect yourself when dealing with situations while carrying. I know a few guys who have no clue how to defend themselves that also carry guns. They tense up and don't know what to do when shit happens. I shudder to think how they'd react from getting punched. I feel like those are the guys that are far more likely to use their guns when they don't need to.

(Chester County)

CDK,
    i train at chester county krav maga in thorndale.Great instructors,one who is a chester county swat comander.We do some gun retention too.Did a drill recently where you start on ground grappling and one is armed with a knife or a gun,at some point they will go for your weapon,defenetely makes me feel a little better about my choice to carry a gun with a manual safety,at least bought me a little time on a few occasions

Quote Originally Posted by sprint51 View Post
    Any one else been working on this?
    I work on it every day...I stay out of places where this is more likely to occur.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(York County)

It is imperative that all of us understand The Tueller Drill. Go to You Tube, start with: The Tueller Drill, Scenario from The Best Defense. Options are available to save your lower posterior. Remember you might have less than 1.5 seconds from a bad guy with a knife reaching you before you can clear leather and deliver an accurate shot/shots.
    Last edited by FUNDAMENTALS; August 14th, 2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: poor organization of first try
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Bucks County)

My dad taught me the proper way to throw and avoid a punch before he taught me how to shoot at age 5. I've been practicing ever since. I think that in most altercations you will be using your hands because of the time you have to react to the threat.

My kid who was a Spec Ops Marine taught me a thing or two as well. Fighting dirty and to win being one of them. Luckily, I've always subscribed to that theory.

Strike swiftly, with purpose, and without hesitation.
    Last edited by RockIsland; August 14th, 2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: F'ing autocorrect! :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast