Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Moving to Pittsburgh Area

Stay north of the city. Traffic east and west is too much for me to deal with, as is south. I moved to pittsburgh from mckean county. After four years here...stay north of the city is the best advice I can give.

(Beaver County)

Your budget for a house may be your most determining factor of where you want to live...I would also take a good look at the school districts, there are several near your work area, some very good, and some no so good...I live in Beaver, good school district and decent tax rates...About 25 minutes to Emsworth

(Beaver County)

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely have a few places to look now that Im finally starting here soon. Right now Im leaving the family behind and am just gonna rent a room so that I have time to explore all the suggestions and figure out what will be best between school districts and tax rates. At least now I know where to look and the areas to stay out of.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    HAHA!
    Even "east" isn't very specific. The "east" nearest the city is shit. The east just past that (where I am) is beng taken over by the shit that is moving away from the city. The "east" past "my" east is a little better, but will fall like a castle under siege within a few years (like my area did), and the "east" beyond that is rural enough that it's still nice, but who wants to drive to town to work from that far out?

Oh and yeah, the parkway east blows. Stupidest highway design EVER. Three lanes down to two lanes, then back to three, and then back to two - and let's throw a mother effin' TUNNEL into the mix. They say it was outdated when it was finished back in the 50s and I believe it.
    We've been here 20 years and it was always bad during rush hour (3 hours), but now it's jammed at almost any time of day you drive it.

If I had a choice, I sure as fudge wouldn't move here now.
    If you think the east blows go just south of the city, other side of fort pitt or liberty tunnels. That area by far is the absolute worst to travel to and from.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    If you think the east blows go just south of the city, other side of fort pitt or liberty tunnels. That area by far is the absolute worst to travel to and from.
    There is stuff on the other side of the tunnels???

(Beaver County)

He said he is working in the Emsworth area, maybe anyone near that area or an area that is low traffic to Emsworth could speak up

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    You don't need to touch Greentree hill or the tunnels coming from the south if you're going to Emsworth, just take 79 north to the neville island exit or the route 65 Sewickely/Emsworth exit.

(Washington County)

Check out Washington, Cannonsburg, and Houston, PA. They've always treated me right.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Butler County)

Cranberry. 20 mins to work. 1/2 the taxes.

i live in the south hills, bethel park, upper st. clair, mt. lebenon, south park have good schools but are also very expensive to live..bethel park or south park is more reasonably priced than the others. i work on the east end by highland park bridge...and you got wilkinsburg, homwood they are pretty rough part of town..reqent square in near swissvale is pretty nice to live but i don't know about the schools in that area.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234