Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default How does 1 get a license?

My father in law was asking me how does one obtain a class 3 license. I have 0 knowledge. Are there different types of licenses? How do you start the process? What's the total start up cost?

Default Re: How does 1 get a license?

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    My father in law was asking me how does one obtain a class 3 license. I have 0 knowledge. Are there different types of licenses? How do you start the process? What's the total start up cost?
    The question i will retort is:

Is your father interested in purchasing a machine gun or suppressor or SBR, or is he interested in becoming a dealer in such items? Most (99%) ask the question you did but meant that they just wanted to purchase one of the items listed. I can answer both questions but wanted to be more clear going forward.

And someone beat me to the punch... so instead of retyping...if your father wants to purchase an NFA item... read the sticky.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    The question i will retort is:

Is your father interested in purchasing a machine gun or suppressor or SBR, or is he interested in becoming a dealer in such items? Most (99%) ask the question you did but meant that they just wanted to purchase one of the items listed. I can answer both questions but wanted to be more clear going forward.
    He likes cool things and collecting interesting stuff in his man cave so is say he wants to purchase a machine gun or suppressor. I'm interested for myself as well to be honest b

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    He likes cool things and collecting interesting stuff in his man cave so is say he wants to purchase a machine gun or suppressor. I'm interested for myself as well to be honest b
    Sounds to me like he is more interested in being able to purchase National Firearms Act items as an individual, so no license is required. Follow the steps in the Sticky from JayBell and i think all of your questions will be answered.

Basically, those items require an approval process that JayBell outlined quite well.

(Washington County)

It's easy to purchase NFA items if you just follow the steps, especially if you form a Trust and bypass some of the steps, which is easy enough to do in PA. Feel free to ask additional questions. I'm waiting on my forth NFA stamp to be approved and have a suppressor back ordered that will be my fifth. Stamp collecting gets addicting quick. I can think of 4 more off the top of my head I want to add next year.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Northampton County)

You fill out a 1 page form, both sides, then put your name on a piece of paper saying you are a US citizen and sign it. Add a check for $200 and put it in the mail. Takes 5 minutes.

If you do it as an individual add 2 fingerprint cards and two photos of yourself. Add 20 minutes.

Read the sticky.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You fill out a 1 page form, both sides, then put your name on a piece of paper saying you are a US citizen and sign it. Add a check for $200 and put it in the mail. Takes 5 minutes.

If you do it as an individual add 2 fingerprint cards and two photos of yourself. Add 20 minutes.

Read the sticky.
    25 minutes to only fill in the app. Then you wait. And wait. And wait some more. After a year (maybe less, maybe more) as long as you pass the backgrounds, you get your approval. I believe most Class 3 dealers will also help you with the application.

Of the two I think the suppressor is more useful. If all you want is to feel like you are shooting a 'full auto' than IMHO a bump fire stock is the way to go. Cheaper and no extra paperwork.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(Butler County)

The sooner you start the sooner you get your toys. 7 month wait for my last one.