Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Proof of Ownership

Last edited by splutterfish; August 23rd, 2014 at 11:01 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Proof of Ownership

In the absence of proof it's stolen wouldn't possession count for ownership?

(Wayne County)

I have pistols and rifles GIVEN to me, you mean that I'll have to dig up the dead?

How long was it from the time you bought the Gun until it was Seized? If the fuzz ran the serial number within a few weeks of purchase the information, may not have been in the "non existent Data Base" PSP records! Have them run the Serial number now. If the transaction is not in the system now than you have a problem with your FFL.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

I would return correspondence via certified mail that it is your gun, by law there is no gun registery in PA and therefore the gun has no way to be registered to anyone, and that you will be coming to pick up your gun at a particular date and time, accompanied by your atty.

This puts them on notice you are not dicking around, and they need to hand it over or admit there is an illefal gun registery.

If they do not produce, have the attorney serve them with a notice that you will be suing.

I would spend large sums of money to make my point, and then sue them for that too.

(Perry County)

It's bullshit and any good attorney could beat them down on it. I'm sure they're counting on you not spending more money than the property is worth to get it back.

When a police department recovers stolen property, it's returned to the owner of record which tends to be the victim. In cases like a car, there is a registered owner. If it's something like a firearm or a TV, then it's assumed the owner is the victim unless there are extenuating circumstances.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(York County)

Default Proof of Ownership

This would affect me because all of my firearms were purchased in MD - but I have the receipts for the firearms I purchased in my safe - and photos backed up on four different hard disks.

Now if you don't have that paper trail (due to inheritance or family purchase) your best bet is a lawyer.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    It's bullshit and any good attorney could beat them down on it. I'm sure they're counting on you not spending more money than the property is worth to get it back.
    It might be bullshit but he's still going to have to pay a lawyer to his property back!

And oh by the way isn't it illegal for their to be a firearms "registry" in Pa? If there is one, why are the police using it as a source of information?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    It might be bullshit but he's still going to have to pay a lawyer to his property back!

And oh by the way isn't it illegal for their to be a firearms "registry" in Pa? If there is one, why are the police using it as a source of information?
    Because the PA Supreme Court ruled that, due to its incomplete status, its not a registry but is a record of sale. Therefor, it does not violate the law concerning registries.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Because the PA Supreme Court ruled that, due to its incomplete status, its not a registry but is a record of sale. Therefor, it does not violate the law concerning registries.
    Wasn't there some thing sent to all PD's recently that they're not supposed to be using the RoS for the purpose that they're using it for in the OP's case?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast