Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Digiscoping with spotting scope?

So for those of us with older eyes: has anyone tried digiscoping their spotting scope on the range? IE: putting an adapter on the eyepiece and using a digital camera/cell phone with a large LCD display, instead of trying to see thru the doggone tiny eyepiece?

Wearing glasses and using a spotting scope means having to remove the glasses to see the target when using higher mag on the scope. Was wondering if connecting an old small digital camera would make it so I could just glance over at the LCD and see my target.

A new scope isn't in the budget (I know someone will say buy a better one). Even a better scope will require squinting into the tiny eyepiece at higher magnification (the law of optics). Anyone tried this? Does it work once set up?

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: Digiscoping with spotting scope?

I bought a long eye relief eyepiece for my scope so that I don't have to take my glasses off.

(Berks County)

It works. The problem is seeing LCD screens in broad daylight. You have to shade them.

(Allegheny County)

Forget about spotting scopes! Here's a better way:

http://www.bullseyecamera.com/

Toujours prêt

(Lackawanna County)

The camera system is neat, but having to lug all the extra gear.....ugh... Plus, having to use the public ranges means the risk of some knucklehead shooting the gear.

I did do a little research and found the Konus Digital adapter for spotting scopes. There are several models that look the same. For around $20 I can slap this on and dig out an old digital camera.

I already have a nice Bushnell Elite 15-45x60mm spotting scope, but it does not have the angled eyepiece. Makes it difficult from the bench to check your hits. Great if watching for another person. So, I found a nice demo Vanquard Signature 68 spotting scope (discontinued model) for less than half the normal price on GB. It has the angled eyepiece, rotating body and came with the full hardcase (extra carry bag, tripod). Its optical clarity is fine for shooting range work. And for the price I paid, if it gets knocked around I won't whine about it.

If I had a smartphone I'd get the adapter for it to see thru the eyepiece. But, being a Luddite, my Gramps flip phone won't work (screen too small anyhow).