Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default this is not a open vs concealed thread

So I carry right. I carry in many places, one of which was the Philadelphia Zoo, different restaurants , stores etc.

Now, no one put a public no guns allowed sign in these places or made a public statement until someone oc's and decided to bring attention to themselves and the establishment.

At this point a business is now forced to officially answer. While I would like to be able to OC or CC,

What if the OC,er has now forced the hand of the business to say no firearms?

Now where we once could carry concealed and enjoy time with our family while being protected, has now forced us to enjoy time with family somewhere else, not go, go unarmed, when in the first place we could have been armed all along.

So what ground is gained?

What about descression?

My choice to openly carry in a business without a statement or to concealed carry may have an impact on the gun community as a whole.

So as far as business go wouldn't keeping something be better than loosing everything?

Again not open versus concealed but a decision thread to use descression.

Nothing to do with out and about parks , sidewalks, etc where gov concerned but talking about private businesses.
    Last edited by thefirstndsecond; August 7th, 2014 at 12:38 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: tbis is not a open vs concealed thread but rather a don't fix what isnt broke

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    <SNIP>
    So as far as business go wouldn't keeping something be better than loosing everything?
    <SNIP>
    Following the same logic:

Well, go ahead and ban the black scary rifles - as long as I get to keep my lever guns and bolt action deer rifle. It's better to have some rights....
    Too often and for far too long we have been willing to sacrifice some of our rights to try and hang on to what we have left. The problem is, each time we sacrifice some....we have fewer to hang on to.

III% - Stand and be counted

(Indiana County)

Default Re: this is not a open vs concealed thread

So I carry right. I carry in many places, one of which was the Philadelphia Zoo, different restaurants , stores etc.
    Not being a southpaw, I carry on my right, too.

Now, no one put a public no guns allowed sign in these places or made a public statement until someone oc's and decided to bring attention to themselves and the establishment.
    I believe most OCers carry thusly for convenience and comfort, not as a means to bring attention to themselves.

At this point a business is now forced to officially answer. While I would like to be able to OC or CC,
    The business isn't forced to do anything.

What if the OC,er has now forced the hand of the business to say no firearms?
    Again, the business is not forced to do anything. Some businesses choose to comply with state law, whatever state they're in. Some businesses have no heartburn whatsoever over people lawfully carrying a firearm. Some businesses have had one too many accidents/incidents concerning firearms. And, some businesses feel a "No Guns" sign will magically protect them.

Now where we once could carry concealed and enjoy time with our family while being protected, has now forced us to enjoy time with family somewhere else, not go, go unarmed, when in the first place we could have been armed all along.
    Whether or not one "complies" with a "No Guns" sign is an individual decision. Nobody is "forcing" you to do anything. Everything you do is an individual decision.

So what ground is gained?
    I'm assuming that's a rhetorical question. Who won? Who lost? It all depends on the viewpoint.

What about descression?
    I'm assuming you meant "discretion?" Sometimes being discrete is the preferred modus operandi. CC is sometimes better, considering the location, than OC.

My choice to openly carry in a business without a statement or to concealed carry may have an impact on the gun community as a whole.
    Your choice to do anything in life may have an impact on any community as a whole.

If you don't like the business, or its policies, don't partake of their services or offerings.

Again not open versus concealed but a decision thread to use descression.
    In other words, unless the establishment has a big, bright sign that says "Guns Welcomed" you would ask OCers not to do so for fear of "upsetting the apple cart."

Nothing to do with out and about parks , sidewalks, etc where gov concerned but talking about private businesses.
    Ah, but people use sidewalks to get to stores.

It is your rant, and you are entitled to it. Some might agree with it, or parts of it, and others may not.

(Montgomery County)

I always carry and I have never seen a "no guns allowed" in any store or business I have ever entered....then of course I'm not actively looking for them

(Bucks County)

Default Re: tbis is not a open vs concealed thread but rather a don't fix what isnt broke

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post

Too often and for far too long we have been willing to sacrifice some of our rights to try and hang on to what we have left. The problem is, each time we sacrifice some....we have fewer to hang on to.
    I was not talking about the government. Read the post.

(Allegheny County)

thefirstndsecond,

As someone who has daily carried for almost 30 years, I agree and like your post.

As a private business owner, I will allow concealed carry in my business for those who have their LTCF/CCW/CWP ect... or LEO creds.

I used to have a sign stating licensed concealed carry was allowed in my business, but the sign was destroyed when our original building was damaged in a flood last year - I have not put up a new one in the new building yet - but will once I get a replacement that I like the wording on. (Might have to have one made to my specs.)
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post

But you're not losing any of your rights- it's a private business. You don't HAVE a right to carry on someone's private property.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(York County)

I was not talking about the government. Read the post.
    And neither was I.

I am / was referencing the mindset (often displayed by FUDDS). It is the same mindset displayed in the question (it's ok to give up something, especially something that I don't feel is important, in order to keep what I like).

That mindset is an enemy of freedom and left unchecked spreads like a cancer.
    Last edited by Rblakely; August 7th, 2014 at 02:05 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    But you're not losing any of your rights- it's a private business. You don't HAVE a right to carry on someone's private property.
    You missed the point. See the post below yours

(Bucks County)

I understand the point. My comment was based on the sense of entitlement us gun owners often express over being rejected by private establishments for bearing arms.

.gov has already stuck its overbearing nose under the tent regarding discriminating against certain protected classes by private enterprise.

...and probably rightly so due to the actions of some shit-head business owners and legislators.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast