Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Birthday Boy Buys a .22

Well, this week is older son's birthday.

Both kids suddenly have turned into gun nuts. As you might have read in my other post of the week, we have been to the range twice this week.

Went to the Cabela's in PA, and had a nice time. Lots of stuff, interesting guns.

Didn't see anything i/we really liked.

Older son is picking out a rifle for his 11'th bday.

Looks at a bolt marlin in stainless steel, synthetic stock.

Nice, but fit/finish is kinda poor in my opinion for a rifle costing $450.

We stop on the way home to a local shop (pure serendipity, we took a detour to avoid traffic on the way home) and Older son finds immediate attraction to an old Browning T-bolt .22. 5 shot mag, beautiful wood and metal. No signs of rust (I know about the salt wood stock problems). It appears that the entire gun was refinished, so I assume it was addressed.

Tight action. Nifty 4 power scope. Wood is glossy and nicely checkered. Can't find a speck of rust on it, and when we got home I ran a oiled patch through it, picked up some dust and old powder. Bore is shiny, lands and grooves are standouts.

In short, it looks like a used $700 rifle.

Made in 1966. I personally LIKE older guns. They feel better with a bit of patina, and I like the metal and fit that older guns have. I think there was an attention to detail then that is lacking now (unless your rifle costs a mortgage payment, anyhow).

In any event, we bought it for $225.

Both of us are happy.

I let it be his choice, (other was a .22 by H&R that was really nice field grade type with a peep sight) and he enthusiastically picked it.

He has been holding it all afternoon.

My 8 y/o son (still using his brother's cricket) wanted, believe it or not, an old 12g single by H&R that must be 80 years old.

Brown patina all over, but decent wood *needs sprucing up* and a tight, tight action. Nice shiny, concentric bore. Tight lockwork. I really should keep it for myself, lol.

He picked it up, and I really thought it was a nice antique. He won't shoot it for a long time, but it will make a nice wood working project and we can doll it up...it cost $40.

Great day at cabelas. I was NOT wowed by their prices, but their selection was interesting. Bought some targets and some cleaning supplies, couple boxes of .45 for daddy.

Oh, and the local gun shop had a Johnson Rifle I salivated over for $5500!!

All in all, we have ANOTHER range day planned next week.

I think I created a monster.

Oh, and my 78 year old mom wants to go back to the range with us next time! She was a junior shooter back in the late 1930s!

Interesting week, to say the least!
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Birthday Boy Buys a .22

Congrats---it is always a great feeling buying your son--or daughter--their first rifle. Good job.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Birthday Boy Buys a .22

It sounds like you're having a good week!!

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid-a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Wayne - The Shootist

Many of the truths we cling to... depend greatly on our own point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi