Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exclamation Re: "I’ll put the gun down when I see the police,’”

[QUOTE=HKusp 45;2799714]I wonder has anyone done any research on police response time when someone calls in like this and let's them know that they are armed versus the offending party. Is be curious to see if the police arrived sooner knowing the person being robbed was armed or not.[/QUOT

Around here it is reputed to be around 20 minutes on average. Who knows? "Trouble" OTOH happens in seconds.
    Seems logical to me that the proper response to 'trouble' should be as fast as trouble comes, and with enough force to stop 'trouble'. That has been the reason that I used for being armed 24/7..& my ole daddy taught me that many years ago when trouble was much more rare!

Interesting point made by the LEOs who were instructors in the last Tactical Handgun class I took: Quote.."if you are attacked or thrown into a situation where YOU are in fear of death or great bodily harm, you are legally armed and you shoot to stop the trouble..then call us and we will come remove the body(s).."

(Mercer County)

Default Re: "I’ll put the gun down when I see the police,’”

Pet peeve of mine. I hate the dispatching system. Not set up for true emergency. Here are a few stories the years

Me taking relative to hospital having severe allergic reaction
    Me "hello my name is Adam, I'm driving to ...... Hospital right now, I have a person in critical condition who is unconscious, mid 30s female, diabetic, trouble breathing. Can you please call the hospital and have the ER team ready?"
    Dispatcher "sir I need your name and Phone number and what street are you on"
    Me" I just told you my name. I have no time for this please call them now"
    Dispatcher "just stay on the phone, what street are you on now"
    Me"ridge avenue"
    Dispatcher "I'm not familiar with that road"
    I hung up. Got to the ER. She never called so no team ready. Mass panic when we arrived

I was a young boy. My house was being broke into by a drug addict
    Me "hello I need help now! I'm at ..........Someone is kicking in my door, I locked myself in my room, please come now!"
    Dispatcher "whats your name and phone number"
    Me " Adam please come now he's going to hurt me!"
    Dispatcher "is he armed? Who is he?"
    Me "I have no idea. Just please hurry! I need help now!!!!"
    Dispatcher "you yelling isn't going to get thèm there any faster. I'll send a car"
    5 min later I'm hiding in my closet. I can see out the window. A car with 1 guy pulls totally casually no lights on or urgency comes and knocks on my door. The burglar ran out the back door. I eventually come out of the closet (I know jokes are coming after that) and answered the door.
    Cop "you called about a domestic dispute, what's going on"

I hate the 911 system today. No you don't need my f&&$ing name or phone number I need help right now so stfu and send help. I don't have time to give you all my information.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Well they can't say that you didn't comply.
    You could say that yes. But I think of it more as agreeing to their request rather than complying to a command. I didn't want them wondering if I was some sort of wannabe by holstering but not disarming. I became part of the investigation and didn't need any sideways looks till the facts were on paper. Even though with lawful cause, I introduced a weapon into a crime and I wanted the cops to see me as what I was.....a guy protecting the kid he'd known for 16 years. But the little one in my pocket had nothing to do with the event and has been living in my pocket all it's life, about 12 years now. It wasn't part of anything and until all was recorded had no relevance to anything.

And in reality, I wanted the gun off my hip. I had to deploy a firearm and wait for the badguy to make up his mind as to his next move. It ain't Hollywood, that moment was pretty tense. I have no doubt I would have fired but I'm glad I didn't need to. The weight felt heavy that night. Some asshole was just one wrong move away from getting shot.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; August 6th, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

But when the armed woman dialed 911, she was surprised at the dispatcher’s advice.

“When I called 911, she kept saying, ‘put the gun down, put the gun down.’ And I said, ‘I’ll put the gun down when I see the police,’” Logan recalled.
    .”
    That command makes about as much sense as telling a woman who calls up because she is about to be raped to "take your dress and undewear off". Seriously, any command that makes things easier for a criminal and puts you at more of a risk should be considered criminal in of itself.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    In Warminster, gun or no gun doesn't matter
    huh? I don't get the reference.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

[QUOTE=Fred762;2800685]
    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    I wonder has anyone done any research on police response time when someone calls in like this and let's them know that they are armed versus the offending party. Is be curious to see if the police arrived sooner knowing the person being robbed was armed or not.[/QUOT

Around here it is reputed to be around 20 minutes on average. Who knows? "Trouble" OTOH happens in seconds.
    Seems logical to me that the proper response to 'trouble' should be as fast as trouble comes, and with enough force to stop 'trouble'. That has been the reason that I used for being armed 24/7..& my ole daddy taught me that many years ago when trouble was much more rare!

Interesting point made by the LEOs who were instructors in the last Tactical Handgun class I took: Quote.."if you are attacked or thrown into a situation where YOU are in fear of death or great bodily harm, you are legally armed and you shoot to stop the trouble..then call us and we will come remove the body(s).."
    I have had two calls to 911 inwhich I related that I was armed. The first time brought 7 cops in 5 cars in a few minutes, it was in the afternoon. Second time, same location took what seemed like hours but was actually about 7 minutes. They rolled in en masse since they were told the assailant was in the house and none of us knew if he was armed. There must have been at least a dozen. That was at 2:30 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    On the surface it sounds bad but Id like go hear the actual call before passing judgement. The Blaze is not exactly most impartial news source.
    Where the thugs still in the home? Did they ever enter?
    Was the woman in a panic and likely to shoot anything that moved?
    I have to differ with you on this angle. She could not ascertain if they were gone, she only knew they had been there AND she felt a reasonable cause to fear for her safety.

Was she in panic? Yeah, she might have been. But since 911 had her on the phone it wasn't an issue that once the police were on site that the operator would let her know, the police are on your property and then confirm, before police go any further, that the woman understands and has put the gun down and stepped away from it.

People are not trained to deal with such events and most never even consider or study such events. Well, beyond Hollywood anyway. But natural law says we have a right to defend ourselves and the police really, really should take that into consideration before telling a citizen in danger to disarm. She was on her own till police arrived, she had every right to remain armed.

BUT, you are not without a valid point either. Things are not always as they seem. Me, I went with what I have read so far but the recording may shed light we just can't see yet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    Pet peeve of mine. I hate the dispatching system. Not set up for true emergency. Here are a few stories the years

Me taking relative to hospital having severe allergic reaction
    Me "hello my name is Adam, I'm driving to ...... Hospital right now, I have a person in critical condition who is unconscious, mid 30s female, diabetic, trouble breathing. Can you please call the hospital and have the ER team ready?"
    Dispatcher "sir I need your name and Phone number and what street are you on"
    Me" I just told you my name. I have no time for this please call them now"
    Dispatcher "just stay on the phone, what street are you on now"
    Me"ridge avenue"
    Dispatcher "I'm not familiar with that road"
    I hung up. Got to the ER. She never called so no team ready. Mass panic when we arrived

The 911 System is not set up to relay info to a hospital from an unknown person, at an unknown location driving to the hospital with a patient.

They send first responders to YOUR location to deal with the emergency, hence they need the particulars of the emergency.

And if there was mass panic at an ER when you brought in an unconscious patient, I would not go to that hospital again. Unless of course you mean you were in a mass panic and the ER team did their job.

(Bucks County)

In Warminster, gun or no gun doesn't matter

huh? I don't get the reference.

I guess it's a shot at Warminster PD for an incident where a shoot-out with a barricaded man resulted in an 89-year-old woman living below him was shot and killed.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...191923991.html

(Bucks County)

This happened in 1968:

Dispatch: Bath Road at Fayette Drive, report of shooting.
    Officer: arrives quickly, finds ambulance at the intersection, middle of the road, hood raised. Wondering how in hell the ambulance beat him to the scene, officer asks if the crew were responding to a shooting at that location.
    Ambulance: "No, just transporting a case and the engine overheated and seized"
    Officer: "You called for help? What did you tell them?"
    Ambulance driver: "I told them send another ambulance to this location. This one is shot".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast