Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Unregistered firearm??

There's quite a bit to talk about in this story, but the thing that stuck out for me was my bolded and bigger sentence below... how can a firearm be registered (and he plead guilty to the charge) if there is no firearm registry? Someone needs to check their facts here

Ex-cop sentenced for explosion that took part of his arm
    Friday, June 20, 2008
    By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A former Pittsburgh police officer was sentenced to 52 months in federal prison this morning for possessing an improvised explosive device that blew up in his Oakdale trailer.

Paul Anthony Palmer Jr. got a five-month break on the advisory sentence of 57 months, because, according to the judge, he already suffered some punishment by losing part of his left arm in the explosion.

"The biggest victim of this incident was the defendant himself," said U.S. District Judge David S. Cercone. "There's already been some punishment imposed against him."

Mr. Palmer, who worked as a city officer for more than 10 years, pleaded guilty to possession of an unregistered firearm in March.

When North Fayette officers searched Mr. Palmer's home, the found numerous components for improvised explosive devices, including cardboard tubes, black powder, red phosphorous and a green pyrotechnic fuse hidden in the padding of an armchair.

Defense attorney James A. Wymard said his client never intended to harm anyone with the devices.

"He used those to go out in the woods and blow up pumpkins, which is a common practice in the area where he lives," Mr. Wymard said.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Unregistered firearm??

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    There's quite a bit to talk about in this story, but the thing that stuck out for me was my bolded and bigger sentence below... how can a firearm be registered (and he plead guilty to the charge) if there is no firearm registry?
    Perhaps they mean the federal registry (machine guns, SBRs, etc).

(Chester County)

Unless it's a full-auto rifle... wow... How can someone be charged with that in PA if there is no registry to begin with?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Northumberland County)

There is no crime in Title 18 "possession of unregistered firearm." The charge simply does not exist in PA Statute.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Dauphin County)

with the general lack of knowledge on gun laws the press could've actually meant a weapon with serials filed off as well. pretty vague.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    A former Pittsburgh police officer was sentenced to 52 months in federal prison
    It doesn't sound to me like these were state charges, so "unregistered firearm" was likely in reference to NFA registry....

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    It doesn't sound to me like these were state charges, so "unregistered firearm" was likely in reference to NFA registry....
    Thats how I'm leaning to believe.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!